March 28, 2024, 03:39:36 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Evo cam in shovel head

Started by RTMike, December 25, 2020, 08:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RTMike

So tell what I have to do to install an evo cam in a shovel head,I know the rocker ratio is 1.62 in an evo and 1.45 in a shovel and the cam follower rollers are larger.Thinking about evo cam and Velma touch kit in a 103 stroker.

turboprop

Evo cam, lifter blocks, lifters, rocker arms and pushrods. Rocker arms will need bushings and shims.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

RTMike

What about just the cam change?And use shovel valve train.

turboprop

Hillside Motorcycle

Plenty of good Shovel cams out there.
Not really going to turn a corner and see magical power from the Evo cam installation, as the Shovel head itself has poor air flow characteristics, at best.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

RTMike

As you said in an earlier post most shovelheads are over cammed I agree 100%,this is why lm considering an evo cam.I would like to run a Red Shift 580S in this 103 street motor but will be hard to find.

turboprop

Have you already sourced or tried to source a set of Velva Touch blocks and lifters for the shovel/evo cam conversion?

RTMike

No not yet,is there a problem with supplying them

Hillside Motorcycle

A Lieneweber #5 or 6. works good in those 103"s.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Buglet

Are the Lieneweber cams hard on the lifters.

JW113

No more than Wood cams.
:SM:

Although I'd be more worried about the valves than the tappets.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on January 07, 2021, 09:51:28 AM
No more than Wood cams.
:SM:

Although I'd be more worried about the valves than the tappets.

-JW
another year of good advice gone

Hossamania

Run it, break it, fix it!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

76shuvlinoff

I tried a Leineweber L3S in my S&S 93 for a while. Loved the grunt, top end suffered just a tad and it generated too much cylinder pressure for easy starting. She was over 210 psi hot.

I really wanted an L5S but at the time he told me they were 6 months out. Since I have all the patience of a 5 year old I ended up installing an Andrews 7. Been pretty happy with it running a 44mm CV carb.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

capn

A great machinist/shovel engine builder friend been raving about Woods shovel cam for years.I finally got one it just arrived one day shipping.Great service.Have not put it in yet.

RTMike

Leineweber L3S is a favourite cam for shovels here but in a large motor just not enough duration.We have been digging around and found a RedShift 653 I think we will give that a try.One of the problems is the heads we are using are limited to TDC lift.

Hillside Motorcycle

We used to used a metric ton of Lieneweber cams at one time.
Good valve springs, proper set-up, and good tappets with regular inspection, will allow for great service life of all components.
Not stock, so non-stock maintenance intervals.

waltcentral

I have tried Dave Mackie and an Andrews EV 31 in my 80" shovel.  I have Velva touch EVO lifters. When I had Black Widow cams build me a 7112 Cobra shovelhead cam on EVO base circles I forgot to let the exhaust lifter bleed down. Broke an exhaust spring turning it over by hand.
I have since installed a stock 80" S&S top end kit at 8 to 1 compression and of course S&S cylinder heads. I am getting 155 lbs front and rear even with a 45 degree intake closing. I had finally got the carb set up last ride of last year.
The numbers for this cam don't add up to to how beautifully the bike runs.  The bike seems to have two characters. I can cruise along the PA two lanes as low as 35 in top gear with still enough to  change speed without the bike bogging. At 55-65 on the highway the bike just loafs along sounding like it is idling. Above 65 is seems to get stronger and vibration seems to be much less than with other cams I had. At 75mph the engine is chomping at the bit to run.
http://www.crazyhorsespeedshop.com/shovelhead-camshafts.html

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: waltcentral on March 15, 2021, 08:20:50 AM
I have tried Dave Mackie and an Andrews EV 31 in my 80" shovel.  I have Velva touch EVO lifters. When I had Black Widow cams build me a 7112 Cobra shovelhead cam on EVO base circles I forgot to let the exhaust lifter bleed down. Broke an exhaust spring turning it over by hand.
I have since installed a stock 80" S&S top end kit at 8 to 1 compression and of course S&S cylinder heads. I am getting 155 lbs front and rear even with a 45 degree intake closing. I had finally got the carb set up last ride of last year.
The numbers for this cam don't add up to to how beautifully the bike runs.  The bike seems to have two characters. I can cruise along the PA two lanes as low as 35 in top gear with still enough to  change speed without the bike bogging. At 55-65 on the highway the bike just loafs along sounding like it is idling. Above 65 is seems to get stronger and vibration seems to be much less than with other cams I had. At 75mph the engine is chomping at the bit to run.
http://www.crazyhorsespeedshop.com/shovelhead-camshafts.html

At 155, with the 45 degree close, you are at LEAST 30 psi shy of letting the cam show what it can do, IMHO.
Still totally pump gas compatible.

Bozz

Here's mine for 67 FLH Just a laymans build
Velva Touch Evo Style Lifters, Lifter Blocks, and pushrods
S&S 513 G Cam
Special gear to fit for Evo lifters to Timer Gear
All new races, bearings lower end, fitted
New 2 hole S&S crank pin, modified oil passage, to allow constant oiling as it turns. Length is drilled, and cam cover modified to allow the constant oil flow.
Flywheels balanced to 0.0015"
Flywheel/crank setup fitted, lapped using Jims special tool with the horizontal support piece
New S&S crank rods
Wiseco forged, high dome, 9.5:1 compression ratio pistons
Bozz 1967 FLH 1976 FLH
HTT Member since 12/2001

remington007

I did the conversion on my 82 over the winter. Stock Evo lifter blocks, EV27 reusing the stock cam gear, Stock Twin Cam rockers, S&S adjustable push rods and Twin Cam stock lower push rod tubes. Oiling is now through the push rods. I modified the original rocker spacers to fit the new rockers.

waltcentral

At 155, with the 45 degree close, you are at LEAST 30 psi shy of letting the cam show what it can do, IMHO.
Still totally pump gas compatible.

Well The bike is going in the shop to replace the 8:1 pistons to 9.5:1. I ended up needing to pull the head in #1 cylinder to see why my new S&S heads are leaving oil on the spark plug. Figured whil in there why not.

longbow

RT Mike i have a shovel on the bench thats going in my 75 FLH built to 80" SS rods,evo lifters and blocks, roller rockers.pushrods all S&S. cam is a Dave Mackie 580 offset 4 degrees with this system it oils thru the pushrods for lift it ends up at 535.

longbow

I should of added dual plugged ultima heads with Andrews .600 lift spring kit KB 9.5 to one pistons i will post back this fall when i get it changed out.