April 23, 2024, 07:25:20 PM

News:

3 valve head

Started by boooby1744, December 28, 2020, 07:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boooby1744

I just saw a YouTube video that Feuling is developing a a new head.

FSG

Hybredhog

Ford was using Fueling 3V design about 20 yrs. ago. I don't know how it turned out, but they aren't doing it now?
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

No Cents

Ford 4.6 V8 uses the 3 valve technology.
I got that engine in a supercharged 2007 Roush Mustang. It's a rocket ship.  :smile:

[attach=0,msg1372873]
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

kd

It looks like a rocket ship for sale.   :wink:
KD

No Cents

I decided to keep it.  :wink:  That picture was from a few years ago.

cbumdumb

Is that the one with a flat crank?

Nastytls

Flat crank is only in the GT 350 & 350R.

Nastytls

Anyone know if there is any validity to their claim of the M8 heads having heat related on the exhaust side?

Don D

Sounds good in theory, lets see the results with a finished product.

No Cents

Quote from: Nastytls on December 30, 2020, 04:07:59 AM
Anyone know if there is any validity to their claim of the M8 heads having heat related on the exhaust side?

I will say this about one M8 engine that I seen. I had never seen this before with a Harley engine. The heads were seized to the cylinders and the only way to get the heads off was to pull the whole engine and slip the cylinders and heads off together as a unit. Then we were only able to separate one head off one cylinder...but we could not get the other cylinder/head separated...no matter what we tried. It's like they were welded together from all the heat. It was gave back to the customer just like that. The bottom end was sent out to have the cases bored and a Darkhorse crank installed. I think it's going to be a 143 when it's all said and done. High heat build up on the heads...I'd have to say yes on that one...at least this engine did. A lot of heat marks were witnessed at the big end of the rods too.

Don D

The rods are flame hardened  thats the blueing  The heads do fuse but can be taken off with a little ingenuity. It takes a tool being made. M8s do blow head gaskets too, stockers.

No Cents

the crank needed to be replaced on this one. It did have a 124 bolt on kit on it. The engine in question got extremely "hot".  :wink:
   It was knocking at the rods and the bearing were sticking. You could roll the crank around by hand with some force and hear it grinding and you could hear and feel the knock from the rod bearings being shot. Basically the engine was shot and a full rebuild was in order. Pistons were scared so badly the cylinders were shot anyways.
   The only way we did get the one cylinder off was to slam the cylinder/head combo down on a piece of fire wood that fit up inside the cylinder. After about 10- 12 good hard slams down on the concrete floor it finally broke the one head free from the cylinder. We had no luck separating the other head and cylinder. The guy that owns the bike said the one cylinder and head that wouldn't come apart would become a lawn ornament.

kd

December 30, 2020, 02:39:47 PM #13 Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 02:47:50 PM by kd
Stand the assembly up head down in a pan of ice (and a little water to make sure all surfaces are soaking up to the head gasket surface) for a while until thoroughly chilled.  Not just a few minutes.  Stand it up in a freezer until it freezes solid around the head.  Heat the barrel around the first inch or two down and away from the head gasket and the expansion should crack the seal enough to jar it loose with a side hit on the barrel base.  That is of course if the head hasn't been damaged from the earlier effort with the firewood.  Then it's not worth the trouble.
KD

No Cents

kd...the guy bought different heads and he sent everything to Wes @ Cyclerama. Wes sent the bottom end out to Darkhorse for and new crank. I'm assuming from what I've heard that Wes's 143 kit is what it's going to be when it is all said and done.

kd

Well in that case I would be looking for a trashed set of cases and covers to build a display engine for the bench.  I have a 103 that has 2 heads so I use it as a double hat rack.  :hyst:
KD

SB107

Ill be interested to see how they perform compared to a 1mm oversize set of ported heads. Cost vs gain will probably NOT be worth it IMO
Mutant Motors 124"
161/148 STD, 158/145 SAE

turboprop

Quote from: SB107 on January 04, 2021, 06:16:34 AM
Ill be interested to see how they perform compared to a 1mm oversize set of ported heads. Cost vs gain will probably NOT be worth it IMO

It never is and these heads will not be for the average consumer. Their target customer is the person that is already at or is planning to build a super high output engine. Something that they cannot achieve with the factory castings. Not for the SE stage 3 crowd.

I would probably pop for a couple sets if these were available for a TC with the S&S 4-⅛" bore spread stud pattern.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.