March 28, 2024, 03:00:50 AM

News:

107 and 48H cams

Started by Big Dave, December 30, 2020, 12:41:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Dave

Has anyone tuned this combination before ?

I know the 103 likes it but have seen nothing on the 107

Thanks

Dave

Don D

So are you going to lower the compression? The added swept area puts the build in the high zone for potential PMS

Big Dave

I was more curious because the 48s seem to do very well in the 96 to 103 Cu in but 107 seems to be a no-no

I guess there is a line drawn for everything and the limit is 103

Thanks

Dave

I considered this on my 96" bagger. Talked to a guy that ran it successfully at 107". 3rd gear rolling burnouts were his favorite, but above 4500rpms fell straight off. If it's a budget thing it has/can be done, if budget is not a part of the decision there might be  a reason this is not on the list of "repeatable" builds.

Don D

Crevice volume helps a little, 88cc is not a stock head chamber

Big Dave

The only time my bike see's 4500 is if I miss a shift I ride 3000 rpm as that seems to be what it likes

When I  bought the bike in 2015 I was the second owner and told the bike was stock and never been opened up

added 48H cams two years and 20,000 miles ago . Now its starting to use a little to much oil and the throttle body is

oily so i figured breathers and since I was tearing it down I would go from 96 to 103 and stay with the cams I have .

But as Im tearing it apart I found two of the intake bolts stripped one cross threaded and one missing , So someone

has been in there , I wont have time to pull the heads for a couple of days but if its already 103 is it ok to go 107

with my cams Its a 2009 FLHTCU with 90,000 on the clock , and yes money is a problem

I'll let you know in a couple of days when the heads are off so I can measure

Dave

Big Dave

One more add on that may help the more knowledgeable , The Cold cranking compression is 194 front and rear as it sits

Dave

kd

If it not 103, consider including compression releases in your budget.
KD

Big Dave

Thanks they are already priced and included in the budjet

Dave

Hillside Motorcycle

If cylinder head work is in the mix, the chamber volume is usually more, vs an OEM 85cc chamber, and can be easily custom tailored to the cams compression needs.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Barrett

There's always the overbore 103" as an option. You will have more meat on the spigots too..

Don D

Quote from: Barrett on December 31, 2020, 06:07:17 AM
There's always the overbore 103" as an option. You will have more meat on the spigots too..
The 90% solution for 50% the cost based on what the OP states he wants. Agreed.
Add manual releases to the heads and a retune.

rigidthumper

Look at HD +.010" 103 pistons- cheaper than the 107 stuff, less drama with tuning. I find a lot of cams become finicky above 9 1/2 corrected. What's the tuning plan?

Edit- Barrett & Don type faster than I...
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Barrett

Quote from: Big Dave on December 30, 2020, 05:58:11 PM
One more add on that may help the more knowledgeable , The Cold cranking compression is 194 front and rear as it sits

Dave

If you keep the R's low like 4,500 there's a good chance you have some carbon buildup.
I run mine hard and play in the rain with an open filter and still had plenty.

Big Dave

Thanks for the info

The heads will getting cleaned up , valve grind minor porting and manual releases

Plan was to bore my cylinders from 96 to 103 as I have new 103 take off pistons ,

Shop doing the heads etc will be putting It on the dyno using my PV

Will know more when the heads are off , probabley Saturday

Dave

Da

Quote from: Big Dave on December 31, 2020, 08:03:36 AM
Thanks for the info

The heads will getting cleaned up , valve grind minor porting and manual releases

Plan was to bore my cylinders from 96 to 103 as I have new 103 take off pistons ,

Dave

Da

If you want to use those pistons and are already at 103". Send me a PM, I have a set of 96" jugs sitting on the shelf I will never use. You can have them, you would  just need to pay the shipping to get them to Canada 👍

Big Dave

Quote from: 838 on December 31, 2020, 08:38:09 AM
Quote from: Big Dave on December 31, 2020, 08:03:36 AM
Thanks for the info

Dave

Da

If you want to use those pistons and are already at 103". Send me a PM, I have a set of 96" jugs sitting on the shelf I will never use. You can have them, you would  just need to pay the shipping to get them to Canada 👍

Thanks will let you know

Dave

Big Dave

Crisis over , stock 96 bore so 103 it shall be

Thanks for the help/info

Dave

Arseclown

Good decision.

Going 107 (and headwork) with a 48h cam in a bike that doesn't go over 4,500 rpm would be a waste of money.

Big Dave

Quote from: Arseclown on January 02, 2021, 03:34:24 PM
Good decision.

Going 107 (and headwork) with a 48h cam in a bike that doesn't go over 4,500 rpm would be a waste of money.

Truth

Dave

Tail Ridr

January 03, 2021, 03:19:19 AM #20 Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 03:36:07 AM by Tail Ridr
Durwood did a 2011 FLHTK with an AP-48 cam in a 107...105hp @5.71/122 tq @3.56, crosses 100 ft/lbs @ 2400, still 115 ft/lbs @ 4500,  completely rideable below 4500. Waste of money is in the eye of the beholder... I have a sheet by Durwood I had found posted, I saved when I was looking to do one myself, since it isn't mine I can't show it without getting my patty slapped.

I'd definitely give Durwood a shout if you still want to go this route and at least ask him if the build was worth it...
Eliminate the Imperfections of mass production!

ndmp40

January 20, 2021, 07:03:42 AM #21 Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 11:57:39 AM by ndmp40
I have the 48's in my 103 bagger, using a big valve head CNC'd by Rick Ward.  Its a touring monster, huge TQ curve and lots of HP.
The dyno sheet is posted in the Dyno section.  110HP and 119TQ.  Excellent combination.

It would do even better on a 107.  Using a ported large valve head is the key to this combo.

EDIT- The above results are with a stock-type muffler, non-straight through (SE touring mufflers).  On a 103/7 with a performance muffler your numbers are going to be even better.

jsachs1

A 3.910" MLS head gasket on a 3.937" bore is a recipe for detonation. :angry:
John

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Big Dave on December 30, 2020, 12:41:44 PM
Has anyone tuned this combination before ?

I know the 103 likes it but have seen nothing on the 107

Thanks

Dave

A flatop piston, even with a .040" head gasket will be at 10.0cr.
Unless you increase the combustion chamber volume, that short intake closing of the non-emmissions version of the S/E 255 school-bus cam will create unwanted, uncontrolled spark knock, regardless of how large the ports are created/manipulated.
We would not suggest that as a rule here.
Better ways to manufacture much more power.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Adam76

Quote from: HD Street Performance on December 31, 2020, 06:14:48 AM
Quote from: Barrett on December 31, 2020, 06:07:17 AM
The 90% solution for 50% the cost based on what the OP states he wants. Agreed.
Add manual releases to the heads and a retune.
HD, can you please tell me what the 103" over bore is?  Is it 103" flat top pistons  .10" or .20" oversize?
Thanks