March 28, 2024, 02:01:10 PM

News:

1997 xl fuel issue?

Started by KatalogKarl, December 30, 2020, 02:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KatalogKarl

Happy Holidays to all.. Need some advice here since it seems most of what I have been working on these days involves scoots that sit for a spell sometimes months. A gal has a 1997 xl and its with a vacuum type of petcock. Diaphragm hole pisses out fuel while running. Crappy throttle response as well. Took tank off and found hose to vacuum side of petcock off. So i opened up diaphragm to make sure it was not stuck. It was not and buttoned it back up. Fuel line hose dry rotted and replaced that. Drained old fuel and put in fresh fuel. Installed tank and vacuum(hose) side of petcock pissed fuel out more while running. Still throttle break up. What I am asking can a replacement petcock be installed with a vented gas cap be used instead of all these hose and connections. I will have to re-route a single hose to VOS switch eliminating vacuum hose to petcock then. Probably a new set of jets are needed since bike sat maybe for 6 months with old gas. Thanks Karl

Hossamania

The petcock will not work without vacuum, although I've heard there is a way to flip the diaphragm to make it work. With someone who doesn't regularly turn the petcock off, the vacuum shut off is a good idea to keep installed. A new petcock is not a lot of money, the screen may be swelled and damaged too. A vented cap is necessary no matter what petcock is used. Replace the vacuum lines.
I would pull the carb apart and clean or replace the jets, clean everything, new accelerator diaphragm and spring. Check for any other vacuum leaks.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

kd

Karl, sitting for 6 months is not as bad as it seems.  Up here where Hoss and I live 6 months is the norm.  Welll, except for Hoss cuzz he rides in the winter from time to time.   :doh:  :hyst: 
KD

Hossamania

True, I got out last week right before Christmas! Hoping for next month too, but streets are rough with snow for now.
While six months isn't a long storage, ethynol fuel is not friendly to long term storage, especially if it is done year after year. The "mold" builds up in the carb.
All rubber lines start to rot too, as you are finding.
And since you have the bike, take a look at the brake lines, they too start to rot and get weak, swelling a bit while braking, sapping braking force and contaminating the system. Change the fluid if it's been years since last done at least.
I don't know the history of the bike, and how vigilant the owner with maintenance, but give the tires a good look and check the date codes. 6 years is about max that is considered safe.
I know you probably got it to fix the fuel issue, but since you have it, give it the once over for her.

Hossamania

I misread your first post just a bit, yes, you can get a replacement petcock that does not need vacuum. It should work fine as long as her gas cap is working properly to vent. Don't cheap out on the petcock, but, a Pingel is probably three times the cost of stock, and as I mentioned, a vacuum shut off might be a good idea, thus a stock petcock recommendation.

KatalogKarl

Thank you Hossamania and KD. Figured I could do that. A Vacuum replacement from what I found online listed from HD is about $50. Any of You got a clue on what size jets out of this CV is using. Have not taken carb off yet but trying to gather what's needed beforehand. Figure at least a #42 on slow jet but Main?. Its a 1200 model Stock no particular stuff on it except for whatever Screamin eagle was available for this model. Info I got after my original post Makes me consider the cheaper options dare I say.. Gal has bike a few years. This gal I find out really has not run bike close to a year. Just sat. She only wanted to ride this weekend with a group. Well that's not happening. Tried to explain that might be better to remove all fuel when sitting so long. I agree a Pingel would be best but from what I see here, A replacement petcock with a known vented cap and some new carb jets would be best. Since I have not opened carb up yet. As I stated before it seems I am getting more and more long term sitting scoots in front of me. Sorry to hear about weather conditions being crappy where you 2 are. Been there and dealt with that. Not rubbing it in but here in FL somewhere in the mid seventies for weekend. Why everyone is in hurry . If not for hurricanes this state might be less expensive housing cost wise. Thanks Again Keep you posted. Happy New Year to all. Karl 

Hossamania

I can't help with jet sizes, maybe someone can chime in.

hbkeith

Yes you can put a non vaccum petcock on , ive done it on XL