April 22, 2024, 11:02:38 PM

News:

fxr trans help

Started by alstar2, January 04, 2021, 12:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alstar2

87 fxr what is needed to convert trans from a tapered shaft to a splined  shaft thanks Al

jsachs1

Just about everything plus the clutch assy. You probably can buy an aftermarket trans. cheaper than converting yours. :wink:
John

turboprop

I would like to know where these aftermarket FXR transmissions (with cases) are available from, where are they?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Will-Run

Delcron - Solenberg say they are casting them again. I haven't tried to buy one but they are showing them on their site.
Lean Angle, " Is Life."

capn

Try to get with Andrews I think they make a splined mainshaft for that.Also like Jsachs said a clutch with a splined hub needed.

turboprop

Quote from: Will-Run on January 04, 2021, 03:10:35 PM
Delcron - Solenberg say they are casting them again. I haven't tried to buy one but they are showing them on their site.

It is Delkron. They have a small handful of castings and two complete transmissions remaining. They have said repeatedly that they do not intend to do another run of FXR cases.

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Dan89flstc

Easiest way is to find a complete 5 speed gearset for `91 model year or later (I don`t recommend `90 because it is a one year only mainshaft part number).

Any later year 5 speed gearset will work in your transmission case.

The clutch assembly also must be changed, easiest way is to use a `90-`93 clutch, because the clutch shell will have the same size primary chain sprocket and starter ring gear as your `87.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

kd

KD

xlfan

You could get away with a 1990 mainshaft, bearings,  retaining rings, gaskets and seals. And of course a complete clutch 90-06 w/66T starter ring gear.

Burnout

The easy button is to get a complete trans gear set off eBay, slip it into your case and be done. (up to 06).

Less than $200 for the gearset
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

kd

KD

xlfan

Quote from: Burnout on January 08, 2021, 08:35:21 AM
The easy button is to get a complete trans gear set off eBay, slip it into your case and be done. (up to 06).

Unless it is a 1990 gearset, you will need a matching main drive gear as well. 91-93 or 94-06

kd

KD

xlfan

That sounds about right 😊

Dan89flstc

Quote from: xlfan on January 09, 2021, 04:06:20 PM
Quote from: Burnout on January 08, 2021, 08:35:21 AM

Unless it is a 1990 gearset, you will need a matching main drive gear as well. 91-93 or 94-06

The main drive gear is part of the gearset....
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

farmall

You can use a later bagger box without installing the oil pan, but I kept it because the crossmember mods are trivial (cost me four nuts and bolts and some leftover flat bar) and never wet sumping is glorious and one reason HD upgraded all other big twins over time.  If ya download later service manuals and parts catalogs (https://m.facebook.com/groups/1465028990466294/ is an outstanding resource) you'll have all the exploded drawings, part numbers etc needed.

The bagger box mod with oil pan was the best thing I've ever done to my '88 as beside the pan it upgraded from the Hitachi starter and weak stock clutch while greatly improving access behind the engine. Check Facebook FXR groups, vtwinforum's FXR thread, Chop Cult's "anything FXR" thread, and FXR Facebook groups for all your options. I promise the reading is worth it.