April 19, 2024, 03:04:25 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Looking at eliminating compenator

Started by cpiccarr, January 06, 2021, 08:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpiccarr

Guy's, I need some help with compensator. I have stock 10 Road Glide with a noisy compensator. What about compensator eliminator kits. 2010 bad compensators. The bike is 96cui no more than stage 1.

rigidthumper

HD's fix is no drama for most of us. Seen here.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Big Dave

You are going to get as many opinions as oil brands

I put a solid sprocket in my 09 ultra 20,000 miles ago with no issues and like it for me there is no downside

Dave

kd

KD

Your 10' will need a new stator rotor to run the latest SE compensator.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

PoorUB

The SE compensator will run for many miles. Pay attention to the stack height with the springs on install.
Opinions on solid sprockets are good and bad. For everyone that tried solid and liked it there in a gug that tried it and went back to a compensator.

I would put in an SE and not worry about it. I had a 2010 that ate up three OEM compensators before the SE was the answer.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

cpiccarr

Guys, I am not interested in the Screamin Eagle. I want a compensator eliminator. And does the rotor need to be changed. 2010 Road Glide 96cui. Thanks

Ohio HD

Quote from: cpiccarr on January 06, 2021, 02:57:45 PM
Guys, I am not interested in the Screamin Eagle. I want a compensator eliminator. And does the rotor need to be changed. 2010 Road Glide 96cui. Thanks

Yes, you need a 30041-08A rotor.

On a stage 1 96" you might like the Vulcan 32t eliminator. Darkhorse has a 32t as well. Both companies also make the stock 34t. Don't know if you need a rotor replacement with the Vulcan unit, but you will Need to replace the rotor with the Darkhorse unit.

NHBagger

Vulcan units seem to be the go to unit.

PoorUB

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Big Dave

Quote from: cpiccarr on January 06, 2021, 02:57:45 PM

I did not have to to change my rotor

Dave

Big Dave

Ohio HD

I stand corrected, I see that Vulcan machined them to sit inside the rotors cupped area for the compensator.

cpiccarr

Looks great. I think 34t is stock? I would like to run stock. Who makes yours Vulcan? I was looking at Twin Power also.

Big Dave

Mine is a twin power 32 tooth that is why you see the shoe adapter in the Picture

Dave

cpiccarr

What difference going from 34t to 32t? Anything else needed to install other than gaskets. I think Twin Power looks good. Thanks for your help.

Quote from: cpiccarr on January 06, 2021, 06:26:22 PM
What difference going from 34t to 32t? Anything else needed to install other than gaskets. I think Twin Power looks good. Thanks for your help.

32t will bring the power on sooner and make 6th gear more useable on a stock bike. Equate it to about a 6% increase in torque. With a 32t you will need to address the tensioner as well. Twin power and Vulcan are one in the same now iirc. Vulcan makes the sprocket and they also make a manual tensioner for the 32t compensator.

jmorton10

I am currently running a 30T Vulcan solid sprocket with my 124" RK.  Vulcan stuff is very high quality & their CS is very good also.

I would never go back to a compensator at this point.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

cpiccarr

Thanks again. I am going to look into 32t and primary chain tensioner. Not sure if anything on clutch and new chain is needed with this.

Quote from: cpiccarr on January 07, 2021, 07:09:53 AM
Thanks again. I am going to look into 32t and primary chain tensioner. Not sure if anything on clutch and new chain is needed with this.

With the tensioner from Vulcan you can use the stock chain. Twin power also makes a "cap" that attaches to the stock auto tensioner that is only about $40. With a stock bike that's all you'll need.

See photo in reply #13 for the cap on the tensioner. It's the little black piece 👍.

actonern

I found it also matters how you ride whether you'll like the solid.

If your preferred RPM range when riding is on the low side, almost approaching lugging, you won't like the jerkiness of the feel with solid sprocket.

thumper 823

Belt drive eliminates all need for a compensator (if it was ever needed)
It also gets rid of over 30 lbs of moving parts.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

nomadmax

I replaced the SE compensator on my 2011 Road King with a Dark Horse MOW 32T comp (107ci, S&S crank/Timken conv).  I used the snap on shoe to take up the additional chain slack and changed the gearing ratios with PV.

Prior to the change in ratios the 6th gear light or CC didn't work.  After the change all is well.  I'm really pleased with the gearing change, I should have done it sooner.