March 28, 2024, 10:39:10 PM

News:

2021 H-D hardware updates

Started by Jamie Long, January 06, 2021, 04:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie Long

Model 2021 FLH/FLT Touring platform has received several key updates relative to electrical hardware among other changes. We'll post more info as it comes available.

new Delphi MT22 ECM

new ISO 19689 OBD data port replaces the current 6 pin data connector

other 2021 FLH/FLT notes:

• RDRS is now standard on all models except Electra Glide Standard, base Street Glide, base Road Glide, and base Road King
  • same 12mm heated O2 sensors as previous models
  • same exhaust system fitment as previous models
  • cable clutch actuation on each of the models we inspected including Tri Glide

scotman623

The brains behind the new H-D are assembled in Mexico... Great info.. Hopefully it will still be easy to tune without having to use a piggyback?
Always look forward...

bxbutch

Will this affect the softail line Thanks Butch

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

FSG

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

HV

They also have a larger 02 ... 17mm Hex head
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

HV

Same small 02 thread size....new Delphi Part Number
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

HD/Wrench

go plug the 02 sensor into a 2020 bike see what happens . it might look the same but its not might want to get your info straight before posting inaccurate tech ,

Jamie Long

February 03, 2021, 07:20:21 AM #9 Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 04:41:53 AM by rigidthumper
Yes, the O2 sensors are indeed different for 2021. My post was based on initial observations, a couple hours after the 2021 bikes arrived at the dealer and they allowed me to inspect them. We've learned a bunch of things since then and there is still plenty to learn, so instead of "same 12mm heated O2 sensors as previous models" how is " O2 sensors remain same 12mm thread pitch as previous models".

Jamie Long

February 03, 2021, 01:01:46 PM #10 Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 08:25:01 PM by Jamie Long
To be clear my initial findings were based on whether or not current exhaust systems would fit 2021 models, so far it looks like most pipes will carry over for the touring bikes, however i'm not sure if this new sensor will fit pipes that have the formed/stamped welded-in 12mm bungs such as S&S where it's already a tight fit with the 14mm head. Also note there are sure to be functional differences not just limited to O2 sensors, and plenty of changes in the new platform will be uncovered as well. I'm simply posting some info as we find it.   

As far as O2's, while I have not tried plugging them in the 2021 sensors appear to have identical 4 pin connectors to the earlier models. There are however differences between the sensors, as HV noted the new sensors have a 17mm hex head and also a larger body. Very likely functional differences between them. 

2021 O2 sensor connectors

2020 O2 sensor connectors

PoorUB

I am mildly surprised the sensors have the same electrical connector. Same threads, same connector, seems like a point of failure. sure as heck someone will mix them up without thinking about it.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

kd

Yup, and then they'll have to take it to the dealer to figure it out. A built in maintenance call.  Thanks for the info Jamie.  :up:
KD

Hossamania

Saves on re-engineering, re-sourcing those pieces, every penny counts!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Buglet

Does anyone know for sure the new sensors work different or is the new sensor are going to supersede the old ones. I know some of the old parts numbers are getting superseded with the newer number system, instead of the old way were the would add an A and so on.

louloupa

You will notice that the gray connectors are not the same as the black ones. The 2 small ears are not placed in the same place
On my 2019 sportglide, the 2 connectors  are black.
In the photo, we can see the difference

In the photo, we can see the difference

rigidthumper

Quote from: Buglet on February 04, 2021, 05:51:37 AM
  Does anyone know for sure the new sensors work different or is the new sensor are going to supersede the old ones. I know some of the old parts numbers are getting superseded with the newer number system, instead of the old way were the would add an A and so on.

The new sensors have different output/voltage levels, so not interchangeable with the 27xxx-10 O2 sensors.

The gray and black housings differ, in an effort to prevent plugging them in the wrong spot. It does not, however, prevent someone from putting the sensor itself in the wrong hole...
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Motomecanicapty

Quote from: scotman623 on January 06, 2021, 06:42:45 PM
The brains behind the new H-D are assembled in Mexico... Great info.. Hopefully it will still be easy to tune without having to use a piggyback?
Technoresearch broke the code and are tuning 2021s ... Had a friend tune his Softail a few weeks ago and he's very very happy, my Sportster is tuned also with DirectLink and no issues.