April 17, 2024, 11:21:28 PM

News:

So this happened

Started by Nick9900, April 14, 2021, 12:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick9900

April 14, 2021, 12:28:32 PM Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 08:27:23 PM by FSG
Had a Crack develop on my case through the timing hole. Weeping oil.  Maybe 3k on a rebuild. Several questions. Weld my only option? If I do and tear down do I go ahead rebuild new bearings and such? Took a shot of my crack on the  cases.  :emoGroan:

[attach=0,msg1383280]

Tynker

Looks like another crack on the other side of the vane, JB weld is your friend.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Nick9900

Would JB weld hold? And any particular  way to install it especially since im chrome covered? Not worried about looks at all functionality is my goal

Tynker

Grind a little grove in the crack,and roughen up the case right next to the crack,so JB will grab better. Don't use the Quick Set kind, use the old 24 hour setting one.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Ohio HD

If it were my set of '49 Pan Head cases, take it down and have a competent welder tig it. It'll just keep cracking.....  JB weld won't stop it.

Excalibur

Is that a tapered plug in the timing hole? Often thought over-tightening those could stress the case.

Weld or renew.

FXDBI

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 14, 2021, 03:41:14 PM
If it were my set of '49 Pan Head cases, take it down and have a competent welder tig it. It'll just keep cracking.....  JB weld won't stop it.

:agree:    Dont butcher it up with JB Weld or similar product it will leak eventually and will make a welding repair after a major PIA.   Bob

Ohio HD

Quote from: Excalibur on April 14, 2021, 04:34:55 PM
Is that a tapered plug in the timing hole? Often thought over-tightening those could stress the case.

Weld or renew.

I does look like a pipe plug in the picture. That could be the cause.   :up:

kd

:nix:  Lots of good advice coming in.  Do it right and do it once.  There are shops that specialize in that work.  It has been discussed here and probably possible to get some names by searching here.
KD

Nick9900

I have a guy local that is familiar with welding ancient cases. I've torn down to the case. Yes that is a pipe thread in the timing hole. This bike was put together for a quick sell. Originally it had shovelheads and blew the cylinders. They put together what they had and sold it to a buddy of mine.  He maybe road it 200 miles of not running right. I ended up with it. After changing several parts finally had it running reliable. But never thought twice about the plug. Also question if the blow up had set that in motion. Going to visit my pops for help on splitting the cases.  I've never been past cylinder removal. Prefer to have a pair of eyes that's seen that done before. Unless someone has a decent shovel they want to trade for a pan that needs welding. :potstir:

twincamzz

One of our members here had the same problem on his Panhead cases & he sent them out for repair.  Hopefully CraigArizona85248 will see this thread & chime in. He is a world of information about this repair,  the VIN pad specifically.  Possibly do a search of his posts .
not all who wander are lost...

48pan

I had a crack about the same place 30 years ago. Had it welded and still running strong. JB weld might comprise the crack for future welding if the JB weld doesn't hold up.
Good luck man!

nmainehunter

Splitting the older non Timken cases is really quite simple. You can just remove that side case without having to deal with the cam side. Of course the cylinders have to be removed and the case studs pushed back. I had to have my cases welded because of a crack at the cam bearing. I sent them to Phil at Knuckleworks in California, and I am really pleased with his work. Turn around time was less than a month and I felt the price was very reasonable. Knuckleworks is part of Cycle Works in Lynwood CA.

kd

Lots of good things said about them.
KD

CraigArizona85248

August 16, 2021, 08:49:20 PM #14 Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 03:00:18 PM by CraigArizona85248
Quote from: twincamzz on April 14, 2021, 06:33:03 PM
One of our members here had the same problem on his Panhead cases & he sent them out for repair.  Hopefully CraigArizona85248 will see this thread & chime in. He is a world of information about this repair,  the VIN pad specifically.  Possibly do a search of his posts .

Dang. How did I miss this thread?  Yeah, that case could be saved. But it will be expensive. If I was to do it over again, I'd probably use Phil's (Cycle Works) replacement case. Perry Kime, who fixed my case, passed away a year ago. I wouldn't know who to go to for a repair like this today.  :emsad:

Here is a link to the thread for my case repair. Unfortunately the photos went away when Photobucket went sideways. I'll see if I can restore the photos in the next day or two.

Cracked left side motor case!

-Craig