March 28, 2024, 05:23:08 PM

News:

1987 FXRC

Started by Hilly13, January 08, 2021, 11:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilly13

Hello gents, have a low miles one of these on my radar, cam chest has been overhauled recently, is there anything else I should really look at for that model year that could dampen my enthusiasm?
Just because its said don't make it so

Hilly13

January 09, 2021, 03:17:27 AM #1 Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 03:30:36 AM by Hilly13
Stuffed up the title, should be 1987 FXLR, thanks for looking fellas.

Breeze

No much to overhaul on an Evo cam chest that I  remember? By that I mean the seller is saying things that sound good. 
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

98fxstc

looks to be in pretty good nick
and a thunderheader ?

guido4198

It would help if you would post what the "low miles" number is and exactly what a "rebuilt cam chest" means.  :nix:
A "low miles" EVO shouldn't need any rebuilding in the cam chest.  :scratch:
In the interest of full disclosure I should tell you that I'm riding a 1985 FXRS that I bought new in '85 and it's most definitely NOT "low miles".  :wink:
The thing that would dampen my enthusiasm for another bike of that vintage (if I didn't already have one...) would be availability of parts.  :idunno:

Hilly13

Not worried about spanner work or parts etc, can deal with all that sort of thing, just wondering if there any issues that these models have as a trait, this is the sellers blurb.....

NEW lifters, Andrews Cam, oil pump, electronic ignition 3,500ks ago.
New front tyre,
Rear 50%
Mechanically sound Bike.
I dropped it over a year ago and just don't have time to clean it up, tank and muffler need repair,
ONO $$$

capn

Check for oil seepage around the cylinder bases.

turboprop

Quote from: Hilly13 on January 08, 2021, 11:35:11 PM
Hello gents, have a low miles one of these on my radar, cam chest has been overhauled recently, is there anything else I should really look at for that model year that could dampen my enthusiasm?

Bike looks to be taken care of but it is a rubber mount with over 30 years old and it appears that large number of oem components have been replaced with stuff that was popular in the early 90's. FXRs are trendy right now and parts that are specific to FXRs tend to be pricey. Even if the bike truly has low mileage, everything rubber could be rotten and things like the swingarm pivot shaft could be seized, etc. These are great bikes, but sort of like older wooden speed boats. Great when they have been meticulously maintained, expensive as hell to bring a neglected one back. Best of luck with this.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Deye76

Looks to be in good shape from the photo. If they have been neglected, here's what one can find that the eye can't see. (The one I brought back to life) I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the bike you are looking at. Just be aware that a book can't be judged by its cover.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

guppymech

FXLR's had black cylinders and heads with highlighted fins. The OP's has unpainted jugs/heads with un-machined fin edges.  Just a observation.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

fleetmechanic

We had 14 1984-'92 FXRPs and on the 84-89 models with the tapered mainshaft the clutch hub sometimes got loose and cracked the clutch hub by the keyway.  This was eliminated in 1990 with the splined mainshaft.
Also, when I went to HD's police maintenance classes in 1992 they were already on the 14th version of the cylinder base gasket since 1984.  Replacing those was routine  at no particular mileage interval.
Also had several ignition modules fail.
Otherwise they were fast and fun.

JW113

Nice looking bike, if the price is right, go for it! I think that is the era of left side crank bearing inserts coming loose in the case. Something to be aware of, anyway. And yes, until about '95, Evos weep around the cylinder base. If it don't, better check the oil level.
:SM:

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hilly13

Thanks for all the replies people, gives me a better idea of what to look for, interesting that it is claimed to be low milage but as guppymech pointed out the heads and cylinders are not standard, again, thanks for the replies.

Hilly13

I looked up the rego and it's registered as a 1988 model, did fxr's have vin numbers as it's not listed with the rego look up which is odd over here as it usually is?

Hilly13

Quote from: 98fxstc on January 09, 2021, 03:52:35 AM
looks to be in pretty good nick
and a thunderheader ?
Howdy mate, apparently he dropped it and the thunderheader and tank need repair but the price is not bad, was looking at it as a long term project and a keeper at the end but I'm starting to think there is more to this bikes history than I'm aware of.

guido4198

Here you go Hilly, worth reading again from Turboprop:
"These are great bikes, but sort of like older wooden speed boats. Great when they have been meticulously maintained, expensive as hell to bring a neglected one back."
Also...unless I've missed it, we still don't know what "Low miles" means. That bike has a lot of "bolt-on" aftermarket do-dads which is great if they are things you like. It's been my experience in a variety of hobbies(not just motorcycles)...that easily obtained, mass marketed "custom add-ons" are done for the enjoyment of the owner, which is great but at the end of the day don't add much to the value at sale time and can make a potential buyer wonder "what happened to all the OEM parts and why were so many of them replaced ?" This question becomes particularly significant when a bike, or car is being offered as having "low miles" but a lot of pieces have been replaced.

rigidthumper

Quote from: Hilly13 on January 09, 2021, 11:54:55 PM
I looked up the rego and it's registered as a 1988 model, did fxr's have vin numbers as it's not listed with the rego look up which is odd over here as it usually is?

Any factory FXR frame should have the VIN stamped on the neck. An FXR made for the Aussie market in 1988 would have something like  "5HD1EALG4KY017549",
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Deye76

Quote from: guppymech on January 09, 2021, 09:25:19 AM
FXLR's had black cylinders and heads with highlighted fins. The OP's has unpainted jugs/heads with un-machined fin edges.  Just a observation.
That spray paint HD used on the drivetrain cases would come off even before they had pressure washers.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Scotty

Quote from: rigidthumper on January 10, 2021, 05:37:26 AM
Any factory FXR frame should have the VIN stamped on the neck. An FXR made for the Aussie market in 1988 would have something like  "5HD1EALG4KY017549",

Totally incorrect on the VIN for the Australian market. The 5HD1 did not start until 2003 in OZ and before that all bikes in OZ were 1HD1

Also Hilly the biggest problem I have found with these old bikes is having to do thread repairs. Probably fixed about 10 when I bought mine and even found the front turn signals bulbs held in place with red loctite   :banghead:
Nothing hard to work on just time consuming fixing other peoples mistakes when you find them.

jsachs1

January 10, 2021, 01:41:13 PM #19 Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 02:07:36 PM by jsachs1
Not saying you'll have these problems, but these are what I've run across over the years working on all years Evo engines.
Case cracking behind the front lifter block.
Case cracking behind the right rear cylinder.
Steel Timken insert (where the bearing races ride) coming loose in the case.
Cracks from the spark plug threads to either valve seat insert.
30 degree cut on valve seats in head flaking.
Intake seat trying to become part of the intake port floor (short side).
Cylinder studs pulling out of case.
Base gaskets leaking.
Scored breather bore.
Key clutch shafts have their own problems.
High RPM shifts, clutch not re-engaging = (major over rev).
* Easy way to check oil weeps, and leaks:
Remove timing hole plug. Wrap a rag around air gun. Insert into the timing hole. Use about 20 psi. Activate air gun. Look for oil weeping and leaks. Cracks, etc. :up:
John

FSG

guppymech

Quote from: Deye76 on January 10, 2021, 08:50:35 AM
Quote from: guppymech on January 09, 2021, 09:25:19 AM
That spray paint HD used on the drivetrain cases would come off even before they had pressure washers.
That may be but then it would still have the machined fin edges which it doesn't look like it has from here.  I bought a '88 FXLR new and didn't have much trouble with the black paint.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Hilly13

Thanks for all the info fella's, you blokes are the best 👍
Have inquired with the seller to see what he knows but my suspicion is it's a grey import(not that that in itself matters as they are all imported) and the low k's are because the Speedo has been changed from a miles to a kilometre version, even that's not a deal breaker if it's in decent nick, will get some better photos off him and have a chat on the phone to see if it's worth a 4 hour drive one way to check it out in person.

Hilly13

Got some more info on the bike, it is a so called grey import, had 81709 miles on the odo at time of import, he has put a further 15000kms on it so assuming the bottom has not been touched it's got about 145000 odd ks on the crank, not what I'd call low miles, numbers match though, vin and engine that is.

The cam chest overhaul consisted of a new cam bearing, Andrews EV3 cam, HP BT lifters, Revtech oil pump, DTT 3005 ignition, new valve breather and inlet seals.

The tank is dented and the thunderheader scratched up as he dropped it coming down the Gillies, Aussie's will know the road, apparently lost the front on a fuel spill in a corner.....

Primary leaks a little, don't know where exactly, he couldn't tell me, mechanic told him it has a little piston slap but nothing to worry about.....

It is a 1988 FXLR going by the vin, needs a bit of work to bring it up to scratch, all things considered he is asking a bit much for it I think.

thumper 823

If you buy an old bike you get old bike problems, you buy a new bike you get new bike problems.
Every generation of HD come with their own set of congenital birth defects.
I will take the Evo birth defects over the twink or M8 every time.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

Scotty

Quote from: Hilly13 on January 18, 2021, 03:41:51 AM
mechanic told him it has a little piston slap but nothing to worry about.....

More than likely mechanic said it's got a little piston slap but as you are selling it let the new owner worry about it  :potstir:
Don't know what he is asking for it but probably only worth about $7000 AUD

Hilly13

Quote from: Scotty on January 18, 2021, 12:35:06 PM
Quote from: Hilly13 on January 18, 2021, 03:41:51 AM
mechanic told him it has a little piston slap but nothing to worry about.....

More than likely mechanic said it's got a little piston slap but as you are selling it let the new owner worry about it  :potstir:
Don't know what he is asking for it but probably only worth about $7000 AUD
My thoughts exactly Scotty :up:

Burnout

Biggest problem with an 87 EVO is the clutch and trans mainshaft.

It has a tapered mainshaft with a key, the clutch hub is not thick enough and it splits right down the keyway. (update trans gearset and clutch assy)

Also the final drive trans sprocket wants to fall off because the early spacer is small and it has a shitty locking mechanism. (update to 94-up)
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Hilly13

Thanks for all the info everyone, decided to pass on this one.