March 28, 2024, 12:40:41 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

E85 fuel pump

Started by Gar1414, January 09, 2021, 08:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gar1414

Doing a tank swap and since I have the tank and sending unit out. I want to install a 320lpf E85 pump. In case I decide to grab some big injectors and do some E85. Looks like the aem 50-1220 would fit w maybe some slight modification.
What pump are u E85 guys running?
Any other things needed to run e85 other than tuning and injectors?
Thanks

motorhogman

E85 as in alcohol gas ?  I have no clue to the answer to your question.  But E85 in a bike  ? why ? 
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Gar1414

Gar1414

On a more serious note. Cheaper race gas. E85 also helps the bike run cooler.

motorhogman

well did I just learn something new.. ?  I didn't think a Harley engine would even run on E85..

Gar1414

Oh they will run great similar to like 110 race gas. Alcohol also helps cool it down slightly. The catch is it less efficient so u need much larger injectors and fuel pump to run it.

rigidthumper

Well, stoichiometric on a normal engine is 14.7:1 AFR.
On E85, stoic is 9.7:1, so ya, it's gonna run cooler... (but the mileage may suffer :) )
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

motorhogman

Quote from: rigidthumper on January 09, 2021, 08:51:40 AM
On E85, stoic is 9.7:1, so ya, it's gonna run cooler... (but the mileage may suffer :) )

I've heard some people with flex fuel cars say E85 reduces fuel mileage up to 30%

Gar1414

Yep mileage is poopoo lol

Hossamania

I can't answer your question on the fuel pump, and this thread seems to be veering away from the answer you seek, but I love the sound of a motor on alcohol! Pure business!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Gar1414

Quote from: Hossamania on January 09, 2021, 09:02:33 AM
I can't answer your question on the fuel pump, and this thread seems to be veering away from the answer you seek, but I love the sound of a motor on alcohol! Pure business!

Yeah was hoping for a quick answer. Didn't want to bother a shop for something I may not purchase from them.

PoorUB

Wasn't NoCents running E-85 in his bagger?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

FXDBI

Quote from: PoorUB on January 09, 2021, 10:38:00 AM

Thought it was Jim Kenney  aka Stoker run E85 on his race bagger.   Bob

FLSTFIDave

Quote from: motorhogman on January 09, 2021, 08:56:47 AM

I've heard some people with flex fuel cars say E85 reduces fuel mileage up to 30%

Yep, my 2007 Impala was Flex fuel.  Ran two tanks of E85 in it back to back.  MPG sucked bad, lost so much MPG that the lower cost of E85 was not even close to off setting it.  Cost was way more per mile on E-85
2023 CVO Road Glide Whiskey Neat
2021 Pan America Special, Gray,  2003 Fatboy

joes124

We see a lot of E85 conversions in the Bay Area (San Jose CA) as the highest pump octane is 91.  Some switch between E85 and 91 by having 2 dyno tunes saved on the Dynojet Power Vision.  But most seem to go with a lot more compression and timing and run/race with only E85.  We also see a lot of So. Cal. vs Bay Area racing too (but that is way off this thread).  Yes, much larger injectors are required and fuel mileage suffers substantially and more when riding hard/racing, but a lot more hp and tq can be had with E85 and a dyno tune.

Check out this website for some ideas -  http://www.e85yourharley.com/  And yes, Dean is a friend of mine.

kd

Quote from: FXDBI on January 09, 2021, 10:43:56 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on January 09, 2021, 10:38:00 AM

Thought it was Jim Kenney  aka Stoker run E85 on his race bagger.   Bob

Jim Kennedy (strokerjlk) took us through his changes and testing in that thread.  He also ran it on the strip.
KD

Gar1414

Quote from: joes124 on January 10, 2021, 01:26:41 PM
We see a lot of E85 conversions in the Bay Area (San Jose CA) as the highest pump octane is 91.  Some switch between E85 and 91 by having 2 dyno tunes saved on the Dynojet Power Vision.  But most seem to go with a lot more compression and timing and run/race with only E85.  We also see a lot of So. Cal. vs Bay Area racing too (but that is way off this thread).  Yes, much larger injectors are required and fuel mileage suffers substantially and more when riding hard/racing, but a lot more hp and tq can be had with E85 and a dyno tune.

Check out this website for some ideas -  http://www.e85yourharley.com/  And yes, Dean is a friend of mine.

I tried to purchase from this site and it doesn't work tried email and still no answer.

joes124

I met with Dean today.  He has no employees and is extremely busy with R&D, local sales, tuning (3 Harley Davidsons and 1 BMW arrived today for conversion and tuning tomorrow).  He apologized for not being more active with his website and recommended emailing him at deanh8@gmail.com

jbroski

i have used stock with no problems, i use the aem for higher power builds

Gar1414

Quote from: jbroski on February 13, 2021, 09:03:39 AM
i have used stock with no problems, i use the aem for higher power builds

Thanks Jason.