May 04, 2024, 01:13:34 PM

News:

Used cam

Started by Harley Pilot, January 14, 2021, 05:23:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harley Pilot

January 14, 2021, 05:23:07 AM Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 05:57:28 AM by Harley Pilot
 [attach=0,msg1374618] Just wondering if this is a useable cam.
Don't hold back I can take it!

Norton Commando

The picture is not the best, but from what I can see it's serviceable.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Harley Pilot

Quote from: Norton Commando on January 14, 2021, 05:28:19 AM

Jason

I added another picture, also would it be acceptable to use crocus cloth on this before in stall or is that a no go?

Thanks.

kd

The focus ain't that great but it looks like something went through the 2 inboard rollers. If you can feel the scratches at all I wouldn't be using it. Maybe that's just me but you'll have to break in 2 new lifters on those lobes so there may be more material change from that.
KD

FXDBI

Quote from: Harley Pilot on January 14, 2021, 05:59:03 AM
Quote from: Norton Commando on January 14, 2021, 05:28:19 AM

Jason

I added another picture, also would it be acceptable to use crocus cloth on this before in stall or is that a no go?

Thanks.

Use scotch-brite it doesn't imbed any abrasives in the metal pores like a metallic cloth does. I agree with KD though looks like some dirt has gone thru and marked the lobes. Like he says if you can feel the marks its not worth dressing and using.   Bob

Harley Pilot

Thanks for the replies gentlemen , advice taken.

rbabos

You worry about those marks? Mind you, on the v rod , these marks are on purpose.
Ron

Harley Pilot

Quote from: rbabos on January 14, 2021, 10:27:13 AM
You worry about those marks? Mind you, on the v rod , these marks are on purpose.
Ron

What's the purpose of them?

Sycho01

Is the cost of a new cam worth the cost of the labor or the time and parts to do the job over again? Just one mans opinion.

Harley Pilot

Quote from: Sycho01 on January 14, 2021, 11:21:16 AM
Is the cost of a new cam worth the cost of the labor or the time and parts to do the job over again? Just one mans opinion.

I appreciate ALL opinions, I have all the other parts and am doing the work myself. I guess really I am just looking for re assurance. But thank you for your opinion as well.👍

guido4198

Given that you're doing the work yourself, IMHO...it certainly looks good enough to put it in for a trial, just to see if you like the result on your bike.
Even if I were doing the work myself...I wouldn't pay much for it ( cams aren't all that expensive in the grand scheme of things) and I darn sure wouldn't pay a shop to install it.
Hope this helps...

rbabos

Quote from: Harley Pilot on January 14, 2021, 10:28:35 AM
Quote from: rbabos on January 14, 2021, 10:27:13 AM
Ron

What's the purpose of them?
Not 100% on that, other then improved oiling at the cam lobe to bucket face to prevent spalling and it quiets the tappet sounds as a side benefit. Actual lobe tips are smooth as usual. All of the aftermarket cams are normal looking as in smooth all over. Only the stock cams look like this on the 1250s . I believe the 1130 were smooth normal grinds as well but the SM mentions acceptable amount of spalling, so with the 1250s this might have been a means to basically eliminate the problem. 
Ron

Harley Pilot

Man O Man, I'm having second thoughts! Took the old girl for a ride today and the Andrews 462 pulls really good!

smoserx1

QuoteIf you can feel the scratches at all I wouldn't be using it.
:agree:  Exactly.  IMO it is almost impossible to judge the wear from a photo, especially one where a flash was used since it seems the intense light gets reflected and scattered by tiny imperfections in the metal.  If you have average fingers the tips are very sensitive to extremely small surface imperfections...you will have to be the final judge of this.

Harley Pilot

Quote from: smoserx1 on January 17, 2021, 04:36:18 AM
QuoteIf you can feel the scratches at all I wouldn't be using it.
:agree:  Exactly.  IMO it is almost impossible to judge the wear from a photo, especially one where a flash was used since it seems the intense light gets reflected and scattered by tiny imperfections in the metal.  If you have average fingers the tips are very sensitive to extremely small surface imperfections...you will have to be the final judge of this.

Cool, makes sense. I'm still waiting on delivery but will give it a thorough inspection. Yesterday was my last ride for several months as I'm having surgery on Thursday.

One4Tone

...if in doubt don't...buy a new cam and use the old one for paper weight...

Hossamania

Which cam is it, and what are you looking to get out of it?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Harley Pilot

Quote from: Hossamania on January 18, 2021, 04:36:53 PM
Which cam is it, and what are you looking to get out of it?

RS468, looking to shift the power a little more to the left. I am currently running an Andrews 462 which is a really good cam for my riding style but doesn't stretch out like I (think) I want. Had the 475 prior (another good cam) but seemed like to much cam as I don't need to running 110 mph at this stage in life. So to make a long story longer I'm hoping the 468 will fall somewhere in the middle.

Hossamania

A friend really liked the 468 in his 107.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Harley Pilot

Well I received the cam today and it cleaned up nicely.