March 28, 2024, 06:53:30 AM

News:

F- Inj stuck open

Started by hogpipes1, January 11, 2021, 09:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogpipes1

Walking past a  the gas station ,a guy is pushing his bike (ST) out and down the side walk.I asked what the issue was  as gas is pouring out of the AC. Don't think he knew but i thought what can a guy do  with no tank shut off. ?  Must of been inj. stuck ,  :scratch :my bikes are carb so that's a easy fix .

PoorUB

Honda ST? How could you tell gas was coming from tbe air cleaner. It is burried under the fuel tank.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

PoorUB

January 11, 2021, 01:45:23 PM #3 Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 04:31:46 PM by PoorUB
I find it hard to believe an EFI motorcycle would have fuel pouring out of the air cleaner. Injectors have tiny openings, designed to flow relatively small amounts of fuel at 50 PSI. Drip perhaps.

hogpipes1

Well you can believe it happens .lt was A soft tail ,he wasn't pushing it for the hell of it.l seen it running out of the k&n filter.just my thought it was a inj.

Ohio HD

Yes they will pour fuel when stuck open. Happened to Ray on his 124".

hogpipes1

PoorUB

Well, ok. I never thought fuel would just pour out of them, like I said, drip, but not pour.

bump

Isn't the fuel line a quick connect you cab just unhook like the FLHTCI has? That would stop the leak.

No Cents

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 11, 2021, 03:24:46 PM

yep...it happened to me.  :up:
Apparently the injector stuck in the open position when I shut the bike off. I didn't notice it right away and I walked into the house and forgot something back out in the barn that I needed...so I turned around and went back out to the barn. The gas fumes were very strong when I walked thru the door and I looked over at the bike and gas was pouring out of the air cleaner dripping onto the commercial rug that I park the bike on. The rug was soaked under the bike. I quickly disconnected the fuel line from the tank. I bet a good gallon of gas came out in the few minutes it took me to react to it.
  I drained the oil out of the sump and the oil tank and removed the gas sitting inside the cylinders. I bought two new injectors and had the bike re-tuned.  :banghead: 
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Pete_Vit

Wow - good to know, now with my first FI bike gotta keep this in mind  :emsad:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

hattitude

Quote from: No Cents on January 12, 2021, 05:38:37 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on January 11, 2021, 03:24:46 PM

yep...it happened to me.  :up:
Apparently the injector stuck in the open position when I shut the bike off. I didn't notice it right away and I walked into the house and forgot something back out in the barn that I needed...so I turned around and went back out to the barn. The gas fumes were very strong when I walked thru the door and I looked over at the bike and gas was pouring out of the air cleaner dripping onto the commercial rug that I park the bike on. The rug was soaked under the bike. I quickly disconnected the fuel line from the tank. I bet a good gallon of gas came out in the few minutes it took me to react to it.
  I drained the oil out of the sump and the oil tank and removed the gas sitting inside the cylinders. I bought two new injectors and had the bike re-tuned.  :banghead:

I know with the high fuel pressure in common rail diesels, they warn of keeping a clean fuel supply because the slightest dirt/debris/water at those pressures can blow the tip off an injector.. Obviously, the HD FI is a much lower fuel pressure, but I am curious if you found or inspected the injector to determine the cause of the failure....??

Was the injector tip broken, or it's integrity compromised in any way... like a tip damaged by water/debris through the injector??

Did dirt/debris just get into the injector and block it open?

Or did it just fail in the open position...??

Sorry for the all the questions, it's the first I've heard of this happening and I'm curious...

hogpipes1

If i had a F I  bike i would practice a few times on the fuel line quick dis. If your not handy doing that ,i would have a good vice grip pliers and know were your going clamp down on the line.

No Cents

yes...I tested the injector that failed in the open position. I cleaned it and re-tested it. It failed again. No dirt or debris came out of the injector. Something internally went wrong with it as best I could tell.
  This was the first time I had ever seen an injector fail on a Harley...and hopefully it will be the last time. As some probably don't know...but if you change out an injector...the bike should be re-tuned.

barny7655

Voltage drop or surge will cause a injector to fail , in all cause we replace them all, if found voltage from alternator is to high,and some times the ECU , this is in cars , GMH, but same parts used ,if continues a ECU is replaced , please check all wiring and,battery, voltages,etc , cheers
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

Samsquanch

I've had the same symptoms on my bike, ran poor then wouldnt run at all and gas was running out of the air filter and pouring down the engine. Scary stuff.

Turns out that a wire grounded out and was giving the injector a signal to keep on going.

FloridaJim5

Even if the injector is stuck open, it should simply bleed off the pressure in the line to the injectors.  It wouldn't drain the tank, because the fuel pump is not running.   

truck

Quote from: FloridaJim5 on January 13, 2021, 10:22:11 AM
Even if the injector is stuck open, it should simply bleed off the pressure in the line to the injectors.  It wouldn't drain the tank, because the fuel pump is not running.
I was wondering about that too.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

kouack

January 13, 2021, 12:47:07 PM #18 Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 03:20:00 PM by kouack
Suction effect like when you were stealing gas  :hyst: :nix:

No Cents

Quote from: kouack on January 13, 2021, 12:47:07 PM

you are actually correct.  :up:
The fuel line is attached to the tank with nothing to stop the fuel from flowing out thru the injector...that is if the injector is stuck in the open position. It would drain the tank.

PoorUB

I took a EFI pump apart. You would be surprised how cheap and crappy they are built. The gears in the pump are pretty crude and I have no doubt that fuel would seep past.

hattitude

Quote from: No Cents on January 12, 2021, 09:12:42 AM
  yes...I tested the injector that failed in the open position. I cleaned it and re-tested it. It failed again. No dirt or debris came out of the injector. Something internally went wrong with it as best I could tell.
  This was the first time I had ever seen an injector fail on a Harley...and hopefully it will be the last time. As some probably don't know...but if you change out an injector...the bike should be re-tuned.

:up:

Samsquanch

Quote from: kouack on January 13, 2021, 12:47:07 PM

"Only wack suckas like Cory and Trevor steal gas. And sell dope..."