April 18, 2024, 03:43:17 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

FXE rear brake pedal spring installation???

Started by Reddog74usa, January 11, 2021, 03:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog74usa

Been having a great time trying to assemble the rear brake pedal assembly on my 82 FXE. Anybody have any slick tricks on installing the return spring on this wonderfully engineered monstrosity? Yes I have a manual and no it's not in there  :banghead:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

billbuilds

I've not tried to do this before however the only way that I can see it happening is by mounting the backer plate to the bike, installing the spring on the pedal via the smaller bend and then using a suitable long flat screwdriver to pry the other spring end (the larger bend) up and over the backing plate while sliding the pedal onto the shaft so that it clears the pedal stop. Thinking that you may need a third hand.  Good luck,  I've got the assembly hanging from a floor joist in ther basement if you need a pic. Also don't forget the washer (brass?) that goes between the pedal and the backing plate.   Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

Reddog74usa

Thanks Bill, I do have the washer and have tried it with the plate on and off the bike in the way you describe and still no love. The spring I am working with is very very stiff and will not allow me to do it the way you have suggested so I may try a different spring. I have looked and find it strange how the replacement of this spring is not to be found in any manuals. I have a bud that just went thru the same thing last year and his words to me were "Good Luck" ha ha and that he feels the factory must have used some type of tool to do this.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

kd

Without having a pic to see what it is you are dealing with it's tough to offer a solution that will work for sure.  I have a selection of brake spring tools that I use to install beefy springs without skinning my knuckles or sending the spring flying across the room.   They have lots of leverage power.  There are plier style, cup style (you rotate the spring on with) and levers with divots on the end to become the fulcrum (and the spring eye slides on the shaft). Harbor Freight has an inexpensive selection.  This is an example but many other suppliers may have what you need and are more convenient.  Just search brake spring tools.  You may have a friend that will lend you a few styles to try.  I have heavy truck spring and light vehicle versions.

KD

JW113

Yes a pic is worth many words. I've done my share of fighting springs on other things (like kick stands, etc). One trick is to clamp one end of the spring in a vice, bend the spring and place a bunch of pennies in the gaps. The turn it 180deg and do the same thing to the other side. The point is to "lengthen" the spring into an extended position so you can get the eyes into the mount holes, then remove the pennies. Not sure if that will work or not for your situation.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

david lee

i cant remember how but my mate put that spring on in no time off the bike somehow he put the spring on before he put the pedal on

billbuilds

Here's a couple of pics of the complete assembly that I have.  [attach=0]  [attach=1]
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

billbuilds

Reddog,
     I got curious and I had a Little time so I called the Moco this afternoon and they claim that there was no special tool used to mount the pedal and spring to the backing plate. They claim that you just have to "muscle" it on. He suggested using a cotter pin bender and hole alignment tool since the larger ones have a hook on one end and they're long enough to get a fair amount of leverage. I think that KD is speaking of a similar type brake tool.    HTH, Bill

Reddog74usa

I have lots of different brake tools, none will help. It's on the back burner of a different stove for now  :beer: :up:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Julio

No special tools needed.

Set up the backing plate on a vice.
Slide the spring on the pedal, slide the pedal on the backing plate, then rotate clockwise until the hooks catch and you have a bit of tension.
At this point,pull the pedal out as you rock it back and forth. The coils on the spring will separate far enough to clear the stop.
Once you've cleared the stop and have the pedal on the other side, again rock it as you push it in.

If you're working with older springs that have been removed and installed numerous times, the hooked ends may have separated a bit. I just bend them tight with pliers.

That's the way I've always done it.

Reddog74usa

That is exactly how I have been trying to get it on but the spring is just to stiff to allow me to pull the lever out far enough to rotate it past the stop without a couple rows going in between the pedal and the backing plate not allowing the pedal to be pushed all the way on. I'm just going to order another spring and try it then.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Julio

Quote from: Reddog74usa on January 16, 2021, 08:06:43 AM
That is exactly how I have been trying to get it on but the spring is just to stiff to allow me to pull the lever out far enough to rotate it past the stop without a couple rows going in between the pedal and the backing plate not allowing the pedal to be pushed all the way on. I'm just going to order another spring and try it then.

Don't worry about the coils being off the pedal. Once you clear the stop and start pushing down, the coils will slide back up. The last coil is sometimes difficult to get up on the pedal, you have to really push down hard on it as you rock the pedal back and forth about a 1/2". Make sure you have the spring and the pedal greased up.
On really difficult springs I've had to put a spacer over the brake shaft and use a c clamp for pressure. This always works.

I have one assembled on the shelf, if you need to see it done, I can video it and post it.
Let me know.

david lee

Reddog74usa

Thanks for posting. I like the c clamp idea. I have to say the spring on your set up is much more flexible than mine but I'll give it a try using the c clamp.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Julio

Quote from: Reddog74usa on January 16, 2021, 07:24:41 PM
Thanks for posting. I like the c clamp idea. I have to say the spring on your set up is much more flexible than mine but I'll give it a try using the c clamp.

No problem.

It makes me wonder if you have the right spring.  There's 2 versions, 42425-71 for '71-early '79 and 42425-79 for '79-84.
I don't know what the difference is.

Reddog74usa

Tried it using your method and still have the same issue with the coils not slipping up onto the brake pedal. I WILL GET THIS SOB TO GO ON......
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT