April 17, 2024, 11:15:42 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1970 sportster overload location

Started by saltcaveminer, January 12, 2021, 06:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltcaveminer

I am in need of a description and/or pic for the location of the single overload used on the 70 Sportster. Any help greatly appreciated.Salty

motorhogman

I have the 70 through 73 sportster factory SM.  Are you talking about a breaker or fuse ? 
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

motorhogman

January 12, 2021, 09:37:07 AM #2 Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 09:41:29 AM by motorhogman
 I don't find any location description. Just looked at the wiring diagram. 70 - 71 XLCH

Red wire from terminal B on ignition switch goes to it..

Red wire from + battery terminal goes to it.

maybe if you can follow the wires you can locate it.

70 - 71 XLH

Red wire from voltage regulator goes to it.
Red wire from starter solenoid goes to it.

where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

saltcaveminer

Part# 74589-67a breaker.The unit has wires and a 2 hole bracket attached. Salty

Ohio HD

Follow the red wire from the voltage regulator, the "BATTERY" terminal. The breaker will be along that wire.

saltcaveminer

I don't have a stock wired bike.I need to find the original mounting point.Thank you Salty

14Frisco

Quote from: saltcaveminer on January 12, 2021, 06:43:13 AM
... description and/or pic for the location of the single overload used on the 70 Sportster

In the 1970-1978 XL/XLH OEM Service Manual it says: "... located ON the frame in front of the battery and are accessible by removal of the seat and/or battery" (emphasize mine).

saltcaveminer

Thanks for the reply.I would think that there should be  some threaded holes/studs somewhere to mount this.

14Frisco

Quote from: saltcaveminer on January 13, 2021, 04:34:57 AM
I would think that there should be  some threaded holes/studs somewhere to mount this.
Parts manual shows 74589-67a is attached using screws+nuts, so perhaps no threaded holes or studs for it.

saltcaveminer

I just received info that the xlch location is under the battery tray next to the strap hold down bolt.I confirmed it on my bike.Now I need to confirm the xlh location.Thank you for your reply. Anyone with a stock 70-72 xlh please let me know.Thank you.

saltcaveminer

FYI the overload breaker for the xlh is mounted to the rear side of the voltage regulator bracket.Salty

Ohio HD

Makes sense, seeing as the connection is from there to the battery.     :up:

saltcaveminer

Apparently I have a newer xlh battery box that does not have the 2 vertical holes for the overload bracket. No problem adding them.
Since this conversion will  also be adding a 1980 front end with all the controls, I will add the starter relay and follow the 72 wiring. The battery pos+ will go directly to the tall solenoid terminal post. The overload will go from this post to the batt + terminal of the voltage regulator.Salty