March 28, 2024, 01:39:59 PM

News:

Reduced effort Clutch Ramp

Started by Rodman, January 13, 2021, 01:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodman

I am referring to the HD Reduced-Effort-Clutch-Kit/p/36808-05.
Is the clutch spring weaker or stronger than pre 06 stock spring?
If weaker, can the stock spring be left in and just use the new ramp?

smoserx1

Try it with the stock spring and see what happens.  Most of the ramps work by simply separating the clutch plates less for the same pull distance of the clutch lever...like moving the pivot point of a pry bar closer to the load you are trying to lift.

PoorUB

Yes the reduced effort uses a lower pressure spring. You can simply order the ramps for a 2006 and put them in. They will make a noticeable difference.

I ran the 2006 ramps and a the heavier SE spring in my 2005 and IMO, it had lighter clutch pull that stock.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Rodman

Thanks...
Have to pull the cover to change the exhaust hanger for the S&S power dual setup, so I figured while It's off I would try one of these....I always had a little extra clutch lever travel available, so maybe this will take advantage of it.
If it has less effort with the SE spring as PoorUB says then I should be good with the stock one in there.
A little less effort will definitely make "Uncle Arthur" in my elbow happy!

Rodman

ya, I remember Hippo praising that Tamachi or as he said "Tie-Chee" variable unit. I see HD sells one now too, so it must have some merit. I have 65K on the stock clutch so I bet I will be going in that side in the near future and will consider one of those as well. For now it's not slipping, so the "If it's not broke don't fix it" theory is being used...
I didn't think to just go to the stealer and buy the ramp parts only, so that helps too!

FSG

QuoteI see HD sells one now too, so it must have some merit.

that Orange SE VPC is actually a Tamachi VPC   :SM:

fleetmechanic

I still have a 36808-05 kit sitting on the shelf.  Back then the  dealer parts guys were writing "Clutch Kit for Girls"  on the boxes.

FSG

Rodman

Got it all plus a free trap door gasket and saved $15 thanks to PoorUB telling me to just buy ramps n balls.

Ya think I could have figured that out when reading the description of the kit.... that clearly states it uses the 06 n later ramps..... :slap:

Felt really good leaving the stealer for less than $100 with my new "girls clutch".
Used the money I saved to buy a bottle of Elbow lube!

Thanks to all for the help!

PoorUB

When I changed my '05 over I asked the parts dude for the '06 ramps and lever and he asked what I was doing. I told him I wanted to lighten up the clutch pull and he brings out the girlie clutch kit that FSG posted. I told him no, I don't want that, just give me the '06 ramps and lever. He wanted to argue with me and opened up the box. I showed him the part numbers and pointed out the lighter weight spring which my warmed over '05 didn't like the stock spring, it would slip. He backed down, kinda scratched his head for a moment and finally understood why and sold me the '06 ramps and lever. He had to admit that he learned something.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

smoserx1

QuoteI told him I wanted to lighten up the clutch pull and he brings out the girlie clutch kit that FSG posted.
This is why whenever possible I just hand them a slip of paper with the part number(s) I want.