Considering a 2017 low miles, Preventative measures?

Started by L88, January 15, 2021, 08:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L88

I'm considering a low milage 2017 Road King.
So what are the recommendations to prevent potential oil transfer, the HD Venting Kit?
To prevent issues with Sumping should I install the new HD oil pump or an aftermarket such as an S&S?

brokenwing

If its not sumping or transferring by now it probably never will. Most don't.

BigT

If it was my bike I’d at least install the latest H-D oil pump. A new owner my have a different riding style than the previous owner that could bring on a sumping issue. As in higher rpm riding.  I would also keep an eye on the transmission fluid to make sure it isn’t transferring into the primary and install the primary vent if it is. I have a 2017 Street Glide and I had both issues.

Hossamania

I would install the primary and oil tank vents regardless.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

Quote from: Hossamania on January 15, 2021, 06:35:26 PM
I would install the primary and oil tank vents regardless.

My reasoning is that I have friend who's '18 started transferring after a year and a half and 25,000 miles. It also started sumping about the same time.

L88

brokenwing

I've owned three M8s and never had a problem with sumping or transfer. thousands of interstate miles at 80 plus mph. I'm sure some have had this problem but IMHO I think it is over rated.

BigT

Quote from: brokenwing on January 17, 2021, 09:51:14 AM
I've owned three M8s and never had a problem with sumping or transfer. thousands of interstate miles at 80 plus mph. I'm sure some have had this problem but IMHO I think it is over rated.
If it wasn't a wide spread problem there wouldn't have been multiple pump changes by both H-D and the aftermarket to correct an issue.

Hossamania

Quote from: BigT on January 17, 2021, 12:40:22 PM
If it wasn't a wide spread problem there wouldn't have been multiple pump changes by both H-D and the aftermarket to correct an issue.

Including a primary vent for transfer issues.

Bigs

I have a '17 RK and the only problem I had was the oil transfer from the transmission to the primary. That was solved by venting the primary. I hated the clutch but a AIM clutch slave solved the problem for me as it did for others - easier pull and larger friction zone much like the cable operated ones.
   Bigs

FLSTFIDave

January 18, 2021, 03:59:05 AM #10 Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 04:03:56 AM by FLSTFIDave
I am on my 3rd touring bike with an M8.  My 17 CVO Street glide preformed with out issue, twisty mountain roads, 80 mph interstate.  Put 23K miles on it in 10 months and traded it.  My 18 CVO Road glide sumped once.  From all my reading about sumping I know what the signs were.  This happed after riding AZ 191 (old 666) from Alpine to Morenci, a great mountain road.  Got out of Morenci onto the open road and cranked on it and had no power.  Pulled bike over to side, kept up right and idled for 5 minute.  Cleared it up and never did it again.  Traded it after 15 months with 28K miles on it.  My 19 CVO never sumped in the first 21K miles.   I did build the motor at 21K, and put the new H-D 8 lobe oil pump in because I know its possible to sump.

My wife's 17 Road glide never sumped in roughly 40K miles.  Her 19 Road glide has not sumped yet in 20K miles.

So I have found, yes some will sump.  Yes its a problem, but not all bike.  It can be fixed
2023 CVO Road Glide Whiskey Neat
2021 Pan America Special, Gray,  2003 Fatboy

brokenwing

"Wide spread problem" "Multiple pump changes" give me a number or a percentage
of all the M8s sold in the last 4yrs. how many have had problems?

HogMike

Quote from: brokenwing on January 18, 2021, 10:03:53 AM

My last 2 M8s have had multiple problems. Neither was "sumping " issues.
Yes! Trans oil transfer to primary on both.
Most of my issues were electrical problems and wheel/brake issues.
Wheel bearings bad at 10 k miles, just a bunch of small problems that should not be there on a $45+ cvo.
Lifters show some wear marks at 30k miles but not TOO bad, cam lobes about the same.
Never had an issue with the oil pumps on either bike but went with the new pump anyway

Bottom line IMO is to check lifters and if you're in the cam chest, use the new oil pump and check the cam, etc.

:potstir:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

BigT

Quote from: brokenwing on January 18, 2021, 10:03:53 AM
I could care less what you think or do. I personally would spend the $125 and get the latest pump.

PoorUB

Quote from: brokenwing on January 18, 2021, 10:03:53 AM"Wide spread problem" "Multiple pump changes" give me a number or a percentage

Bad enough that Harley spent R&D money to come out with...how many different oil pumps? If it was a small number HD would do what they usually do, ignore it! Look back to the bad cam bearings the first year of the Twin Cam. Harleys answer there was to fix it if it broke, and for only something like three years, then you were on your own. I remember guys complaining of engines full of debris that HD rebuilt the cam chest, flushed the oil tank and put them back on the road.

I have no clue what the number is, but I bet it is fairly high as far as warranty issues go. 1% to 5% I would bet. If it was the high end of that number that would be 1 in 20. No granted the later M8's were much better, but the first couple years were pretty bad.

Besides, who knows what the number really is? HD probably will never admit it publicly.

One reason I bought my Limited in 2016. I heard talk of a new engine and I was not going to be a beta tester. I might consider and M8 today, but I am a bit reluctant.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

flh canuck

Primary vent if not already done and ride it.  I recently upgraded my oil pump assembly to the latest 2020 style on my 2018 Ultra Limited, but only because I opened up the chest for a cam change. Bike ran flawlessly before cam change and original cam, lifters, pump etc showed zero signs of wear or any other issues at 12000 miles.

These are good running motorcycles out of the box for the most part unless you get unlucky and pick up a problem child. If its starts up and runs smooth and quiet from cold, you are probably okay.
2018 Ultra Limited. Back in black!

Pete_Vit

I recently when to the dealership here to check out a demo seat, sales guy asked if I was interested in a trade for a new bike, I asked about sumping, oil transfer,  :nix: I pushed him some and he said, yeah some first year M8's had that issue and that was resolved last year  :unsure:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Hossamania

Tomcat said they had very few bikes come back with sumping or transfer problems since the new motor release.
For the OP, I would do the primary vent, maybe the motor vent, and ride hell out of it.
Then cams, as this motor responds well to a simple cam change and tune.
Even just a tune on the stock motor helps quite a bit.