April 18, 2024, 03:45:42 PM

News:

Time for paint

Started by motorplex88, January 16, 2021, 11:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorplex88

Had the same paint for 20 or so years. I've got a stash of unused materials from previous paint jobs I've been saving for a long time. My plan is to not buy ANYTHING. Use what I got. It may backfire but so what. I'll get the bodywork done and then choose color(s). Tanks are pretty close to ready but I gotta make a decision to use a flip tail fender I found in my stash. It needs alot of work. First pic is what I started with.

motorplex88

A couple more. Also making deer chili for the Chili Bowl races tonight. 🏁🏁

Ohio HD

January 16, 2021, 12:01:08 PM #2 Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 01:22:24 PM by Ohio HD
I'm not a fan of the flip rear fenders because they tend to remove the paint at the hinge and where the fender overlaps on the sides first time it's disturbed. The OEM paint back then was super thin and baked on. It help held up for a while, but eventually as the hinge wears from vibration, paint gets chipped. Just my two cents.

kd

KD

motorplex88

Yeah , I know and agree. I'm also using old junk paint so it may not be the best decision. But I've never been accused of making good decisions 🤣. I'm still on the fence about that.

crock

Maybe it's just me but I prefer the LOOK of the hinged fender But I would weld it so as to not chip the paint.
Crock

76shuvlinoff

I still have the flip fender. 76 FLH has been painted twice since I got in it 94 and definitely is not a "show" paint job.

I like the hinged fender and say run what your brung.  :teeth:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

david lee

there is a way to prevent chipping my mate who was a custom bike builder-painter knew the secret

One4Tone

January 17, 2021, 01:55:41 PM #8 Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 02:03:23 PM by One4Tone
originality aside..90 % of flat tires happen on rear tire. With the flip up fender  out in the middle of nowwhere by yourself you have a much better chance to get yourself home provided you have the tools, a 12 volt compressor, a jack, a spare tube or repair kit... :scoot:

Hossamania

Quote from: david lee on January 17, 2021, 12:44:24 PM
there is a way to prevent chipping my mate who was a custom bike builder-painter knew the secret

I'd like to see how he did it with those fenders.

Quote from: One4Tone on January 17, 2021, 01:55:41 PM
..90 % of flat tires happen on rear tire. With the flip up fender  out in the middle of nowwhere by yourself you have a much better chance to get yourself home.  :scoot:

That was mostly the good old days when tubes had to be pulled and patched, no cell phones, no plug kits, and much crappier tires. Dirt roads were the norm, now very few Harleys ever even see a dirt road in their lifetime.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

One4Tone

chances are with spoke rear wheels there is a tube in there. If you run tire under inflated it can rupture the tube.

Hossamania

Quote from: One4Tone on January 17, 2021, 02:09:52 PM
chances are with spoke rear wheels there is a tube in there. If you run tire under inflated it can rupture the tube.

Agreed.
But how many people do you know that carry the tools to remove the rear tire, have the skills to get the tube out and repair it, have a means to pump it back up and reinstall the tire?
I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm just saying that it's NOT done but by maybe ten people that ride Harleys. No way modern bikes could have that hinge, the bitching about paint and squeaks would be relentless. And the hinge really worthless.
Having said that, I really like seeing them on the old bikes.

motorplex88

I think I've made the decision to use the flip fender. I for one have always carried tools and a new tube with me , at least on long trips. It's gonna be more time to get it straightend up but I guess I just want to do something to make a change.

Hossamania

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

JW113

I can't remember the last time I had to fix a flat tire. Maybe 30 years ago? And I didn't have all the tire fix stuff on me anyway, so hinged fender would have been zero help. Cell phone, credit card, flat bed wrecker... fixed! I *really* regret the hinged fender on my Shovelhead. Paint is all chipped on the hinges and the 'soft' contact areas at the seam. The only paint damage on the entire bike. To do it all over, I would have welded the fender as Crock suggested. Too bad I didn't ask Crock before I had the bike painted!

So the choice is pretty straightforward:
- Easy access to remove the rear wheel, which in all likelihood you'll never need, and which will look bad from almost day one and every day after that
or
-Cosmetic, no paint chips from almost day one and more every day after that

-JW  (I made the wrong choice)
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

motorplex88

The last time I had a flat on this bike was on the rear tire while traveling from Kansas to New Mexico.....in 1997 : :hyst:.  Dang it !!  Now I gotta decide if I'm going to weld it cause I am gonna us it. Also before I put the tins back. I'm pulling the wheels , install new tires and tubes , install tins and then reinstall wheels.

Hossamania

Even with the flip fender, how do you plan on supporting the bike for roadside wheel removal? Does it have a center stand?

Ohio HD

From one that has changed tubes on the road, you push the bike against the side stand, rear wheel comes off the ground. Use your foot to slide a log under the frame, let bike down, pull bike on top of the log. Used a car rim once that was near a creek.

It's very doable, and yes in the middle of the desert it would be harder. But probbaly also no cell signal....  so.....

kd

:agree:  If you're talented enough to remove or even fix a tire on the side of the road, raising it up and "blocking it solid" should be a piece of cake.
KD

Ohio HD

One was easier as it was a chopper, and had a short rear fender. The other was a Super Glide. So I had to squeeze the tire towards the rim, and inch it out from under the swing arm. Going back in was harder.

kd

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 18, 2021, 10:17:00 AM
One was easier as it was a chopper, and had a short rear fender. The other was a Super Glide. So I had to squeeze the tire towards the rim, and inch it out from under the swing arm. Going back in was harder.

And way less stability.  :dgust:
KD

david lee

Quote from: One4Tone on January 17, 2021, 01:55:41 PM
originality aside..90 % of flat tires happen on rear tire. With the flip up fender  out in the middle of nowwhere by yourself you have a much better chance to get yourself home provided you have the tools, a 12 volt compressor, a jack, a spare tube or repair kit... :scoot:
bmw-s came with a hand pump they work terrific and are compact

One4Tone

a scissors jack like on a Crown Victoria will raise the bike if placed correctly under the frame. A come along cable  lift is handy as well if near a tree. There are small 12 volt compressors that will pump the tire or a quality foot pump. Yes you may have to dedicate one saddlebag to carry these items and still have enough room for a six pack of suds when the job is done...don't forget the ice... :soda:

motorplex88

This is starting to be a little silly . I've used all my aerosols and will start using old fashioned red oxide. I can't even imagine how old is. So far I've had no I'll effects using old fillers , filling primers , and self etching primers. As far as fixing tires on the road, I have been fortunate enough to have people help roadside to hoist her up on something to get the wheel off.

Hossamania

Might as well use it up, what's the worst that can happen?
A friend of mine painted his old Shovel in the late 90's with some really old paint for a 1946 Ford, turned out pretty cool. The paint really worked for the old girl, looked period correct.