April 24, 2024, 10:09:57 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Time for paint

Started by motorplex88, January 16, 2021, 11:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorplex88

Had the same paint for 20 or so years. I've got a stash of unused materials from previous paint jobs I've been saving for a long time. My plan is to not buy ANYTHING. Use what I got. It may backfire but so what. I'll get the bodywork done and then choose color(s). Tanks are pretty close to ready but I gotta make a decision to use a flip tail fender I found in my stash. It needs alot of work. First pic is what I started with.

motorplex88

A couple more. Also making deer chili for the Chili Bowl races tonight. 🏁🏁

Ohio HD

January 16, 2021, 12:01:08 PM #2 Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 01:22:24 PM by Ohio HD
I'm not a fan of the flip rear fenders because they tend to remove the paint at the hinge and where the fender overlaps on the sides first time it's disturbed. The OEM paint back then was super thin and baked on. It help held up for a while, but eventually as the hinge wears from vibration, paint gets chipped. Just my two cents.

kd

KD

motorplex88

Yeah , I know and agree. I'm also using old junk paint so it may not be the best decision. But I've never been accused of making good decisions 🤣. I'm still on the fence about that.

crock

Maybe it's just me but I prefer the LOOK of the hinged fender But I would weld it so as to not chip the paint.
Crock

76shuvlinoff

I still have the flip fender. 76 FLH has been painted twice since I got in it 94 and definitely is not a "show" paint job.

I like the hinged fender and say run what your brung.  :teeth:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

david lee

there is a way to prevent chipping my mate who was a custom bike builder-painter knew the secret

One4Tone

January 17, 2021, 01:55:41 PM #8 Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 02:03:23 PM by One4Tone
originality aside..90 % of flat tires happen on rear tire. With the flip up fender  out in the middle of nowwhere by yourself you have a much better chance to get yourself home provided you have the tools, a 12 volt compressor, a jack, a spare tube or repair kit... :scoot:

Hossamania

Quote from: david lee on January 17, 2021, 12:44:24 PM
there is a way to prevent chipping my mate who was a custom bike builder-painter knew the secret

I'd like to see how he did it with those fenders.

Quote from: One4Tone on January 17, 2021, 01:55:41 PM
..90 % of flat tires happen on rear tire. With the flip up fender  out in the middle of nowwhere by yourself you have a much better chance to get yourself home.  :scoot:

That was mostly the good old days when tubes had to be pulled and patched, no cell phones, no plug kits, and much crappier tires. Dirt roads were the norm, now very few Harleys ever even see a dirt road in their lifetime.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

One4Tone

chances are with spoke rear wheels there is a tube in there. If you run tire under inflated it can rupture the tube.

Hossamania

Quote from: One4Tone on January 17, 2021, 02:09:52 PM
chances are with spoke rear wheels there is a tube in there. If you run tire under inflated it can rupture the tube.

Agreed.
But how many people do you know that carry the tools to remove the rear tire, have the skills to get the tube out and repair it, have a means to pump it back up and reinstall the tire?
I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm just saying that it's NOT done but by maybe ten people that ride Harleys. No way modern bikes could have that hinge, the bitching about paint and squeaks would be relentless. And the hinge really worthless.
Having said that, I really like seeing them on the old bikes.

motorplex88

I think I've made the decision to use the flip fender. I for one have always carried tools and a new tube with me , at least on long trips. It's gonna be more time to get it straightend up but I guess I just want to do something to make a change.

Hossamania

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

JW113

I can't remember the last time I had to fix a flat tire. Maybe 30 years ago? And I didn't have all the tire fix stuff on me anyway, so hinged fender would have been zero help. Cell phone, credit card, flat bed wrecker... fixed! I *really* regret the hinged fender on my Shovelhead. Paint is all chipped on the hinges and the 'soft' contact areas at the seam. The only paint damage on the entire bike. To do it all over, I would have welded the fender as Crock suggested. Too bad I didn't ask Crock before I had the bike painted!

So the choice is pretty straightforward:
- Easy access to remove the rear wheel, which in all likelihood you'll never need, and which will look bad from almost day one and every day after that
or
-Cosmetic, no paint chips from almost day one and more every day after that

-JW  (I made the wrong choice)
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

motorplex88

The last time I had a flat on this bike was on the rear tire while traveling from Kansas to New Mexico.....in 1997 : :hyst:.  Dang it !!  Now I gotta decide if I'm going to weld it cause I am gonna us it. Also before I put the tins back. I'm pulling the wheels , install new tires and tubes , install tins and then reinstall wheels.

Hossamania

Even with the flip fender, how do you plan on supporting the bike for roadside wheel removal? Does it have a center stand?

Ohio HD

From one that has changed tubes on the road, you push the bike against the side stand, rear wheel comes off the ground. Use your foot to slide a log under the frame, let bike down, pull bike on top of the log. Used a car rim once that was near a creek.

It's very doable, and yes in the middle of the desert it would be harder. But probbaly also no cell signal....  so.....

kd

:agree:  If you're talented enough to remove or even fix a tire on the side of the road, raising it up and "blocking it solid" should be a piece of cake.
KD

Ohio HD

One was easier as it was a chopper, and had a short rear fender. The other was a Super Glide. So I had to squeeze the tire towards the rim, and inch it out from under the swing arm. Going back in was harder.

kd

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 18, 2021, 10:17:00 AM
One was easier as it was a chopper, and had a short rear fender. The other was a Super Glide. So I had to squeeze the tire towards the rim, and inch it out from under the swing arm. Going back in was harder.

And way less stability.  :dgust:
KD

david lee

Quote from: One4Tone on January 17, 2021, 01:55:41 PM
originality aside..90 % of flat tires happen on rear tire. With the flip up fender  out in the middle of nowwhere by yourself you have a much better chance to get yourself home provided you have the tools, a 12 volt compressor, a jack, a spare tube or repair kit... :scoot:
bmw-s came with a hand pump they work terrific and are compact

One4Tone

a scissors jack like on a Crown Victoria will raise the bike if placed correctly under the frame. A come along cable  lift is handy as well if near a tree. There are small 12 volt compressors that will pump the tire or a quality foot pump. Yes you may have to dedicate one saddlebag to carry these items and still have enough room for a six pack of suds when the job is done...don't forget the ice... :soda:

motorplex88

This is starting to be a little silly . I've used all my aerosols and will start using old fashioned red oxide. I can't even imagine how old is. So far I've had no I'll effects using old fillers , filling primers , and self etching primers. As far as fixing tires on the road, I have been fortunate enough to have people help roadside to hoist her up on something to get the wheel off.

Hossamania

Might as well use it up, what's the worst that can happen?
A friend of mine painted his old Shovel in the late 90's with some really old paint for a 1946 Ford, turned out pretty cool. The paint really worked for the old girl, looked period correct.

bump

I never had to change a tire while on the road. I did take rear head off of shovelhead and replace blown head gasket. In a gas station next to service bay in middle of Arkansas. Took most of a day and I still have a picture of station owner and his son. That was back in early 80s. Still riding that shovel.

72fl

Quote from: motorplex88 on January 18, 2021, 06:30:49 PM
This is starting to be a little silly . I've used all my aerosols and will start using old fashioned red oxide. I can't even imagine how old is. So far I've had no I'll effects using old fillers , filling primers , and self etching primers. As far as fixing tires on the road, I have been fortunate enough to have people help roadside to hoist her up on something to get the wheel off.

I use to Love the smell of Lacquer and Imron  paint primer and Good Ol Ethyl Gas and uhhh what were we talking about :scratch: :hyst:

kd

Dupont Imron is particularly toxic.  I have a  couple of friends that used it extensively with the typically poor paper masks some of us thought were protecting us.  One of them is now a lost sole and in a home.  He was passing out and lost his ability to live alone.  The other will vomit if he enters a room that it is or was recently used in.  Great finish but BAAAAAD STUFF.   :down:
KD

72fl

Quote from: kd on January 19, 2021, 06:06:03 AM
Dupont Imron is particularly toxic.  I have a  couple of friends that used it extensively with the typically poor paper masks some of us thought were protecting us.  One of them is now a lost sole and in a home.  He was passing out and lost his ability to live alone.  The other will vomit if he enters a room that it is or was recently used in.  Great finish but BAAAAAD STUFF.   :down:

Oh I know Imron was something else, I have a friend that was painting in his garage, he is a qualified Painter, but the fumes made him horribly sick  as he was use to spraying it in a Factory with Industrial exhaust fan system unlike the small home shop thru wall exhhaust fan. I'll never forget how sick he got and needless to say he has never sprayed Imron again, that was 30 or so years ago.

motorplex88

Sandblasted the hinge fender . I think it had frame undercoat on it 😳 took for ever !. Now I got a little dolly work.

Hossamania

I'm jealous of you guys that can straighten those out nicer than when they were made. Looking forward to seeing your work.

david lee

Quote from: Hossamania on January 19, 2021, 06:44:05 PM
I'm jealous of you guys that can straighten those out nicer than when they were made. Looking forward to seeing your work.
if its not straight your wasting your time painting it.i remember aftermarket tanks being so bad you had to repair them.i wonder if there improved now

Hossamania

January 20, 2021, 02:37:42 PM #32 Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 02:59:01 PM by Hossamania
Quote from: david lee on January 20, 2021, 01:01:51 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on January 19, 2021, 06:44:05 PM
if its not straight your wasting your time painting it.i remember aftermarket tanks being so bad you had to repair them.i wonder if there improved now

Depends on where you get them.
Drag Specialties may be ok.
I can tell you Jireh cycle not so much.

mike1969flh

Used to take a razor blade between hinge parts while paint was still wet. Worked sometimes sometimes not

motorplex88

Ain't had much time for .a couple of days to play. My brother has been on a ventilator and in a coma since November with covid-19. I retired January 1 and been helping his family as much as I can. He is now off the vent and awake . So I got a little time to do more fiddling with the fenders. Got some more time to put in before getting things straightened up. I just might have to try that razor blade deal.

motorplex88

Here's a dumb question. What retains the pin in the hinge for the rear fender ?  I don't have the pin and really never paid any attention to them when I used to have one on an old '73 flh.

Ohio HD

Harley Davidson 43-79 Fender Hinge Pin & Rivet Kit

OEM # 59862-30

or

Colony # 2806-5

motorplex88

I actually seen those but I guess I'm just a dim wit. Are the rivits supposed to keep the pin from sliding out ?

Ohio HD

motorplex88

Thanks. I'll have to get that pin kit coming or I may just simply make something of my own. No more than what they cost that may be silly. :doh:

motorplex88

I got the first color on. 2 more to go. I'm not happy at all as I got a dirt problem going on. Can't decide if it's from me blowing dirt from something or if there is crap in my paint gun. Gonna try to figure out how to help this before moving on. I see color sanding on my horizon.

Ohio HD

I used to always spray the floor down with water to keep from lifting dust and dirt.

kd

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 25, 2021, 07:53:00 AM
I used to always spray the floor down with water to keep from lifting dust and dirt.

:up:  and take the time to frame up a plastic booth that draws the air out of the bottom.  The blast of air past the paint target will lift dust. You are introducing more air inside the booth so it needs a way out that doesn't carry particles past the target.   A top down ventilation pays big dividends if you can make it happen.  You may be able to rent or borrow a fan that is used to remove humidity from flooded buildings or rooms or welding fumes. 
KD

motorplex88

I too have wet the floor before. Not sure if you can see it but rolled out some painters paper to cover the floor. This is the first time I have tried this. I really think it's something in the gun or maybe even the paint itself. The paint is very old and I should have double strained it. I might change guns as I have a few to choose from.

kd

:up:  Catch it early and you can hide it by the time you get to the top coat(s).
KD

motorplex88

January 25, 2021, 08:43:49 PM #45 Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 08:48:18 PM by motorplex88
I may have found my dirt (or whenever it is) problem. Shot the second color and the only thing in procedure I changed is I did not wear a mask. The first round I wore one of those surgical masks because that's all I had. This round I wore nothing , mainly because I just forgot  :dgust: . Things went alot cleaner. One more color to go. Also could have been the old paint.

motorplex88

Well I've learned my lesson. First my eyes are not sharp anymore. Second , don't put much faith in old materials. I've got material lift, tape track, tape bleed and the part that's my fault , under masking. I am pleased with my bodywork but that's about where it ends. THE worst paint job I have ever done. I'll try to fiddle around with it a little , color sand it and clear. For now I'll just have to live with it.

5-0king

A masterpiece in the making  :up:

Hossamania

I do like the paint scheme! A little rubbing and sanding in your future...

kd

I also like the paint scheme.  It looks period even if not correct.   I hope you can remedy what you see as problems. Tackle it like in the old metal flake days. Sand, shoot, sand ,shoot repeat, repeat ..... gloss coat and polish. I'm sure it will be cha when assembled and mounted.  Can't wait to see a pic.
KD

76shuvlinoff

Nice. Anything beyond a quick hit with a rattle can painting is outside my realm, fun to watch the progress.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

motorplex88

Got tired of fiddling with it and decided to just shoot it. I got a small area of fisheye inn a white stripe and a fleck or two of dirt , but I can live with it. My brother has been on the ventilator and in the hospital for 80 days and is now able to be released to a rehab center. I will stay with him for the next 2 weeks. When I get back I'll finish up and show all the different old crap I used on this job.

motorplex88

kd

Best wishes to your brother and his speedy recovery.
KD

motorplex88

January 31, 2021, 11:17:50 AM #54 Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 11:37:29 AM by motorplex88
This is the stuff I used along with various sandpaper and tape. The tickets show what I spent on the stuff I didn't have. Also my fancy late model paint gun I shot everything with  :hyst:

david lee

Quote from: motorplex88 on January 31, 2021, 11:17:50 AM
This is the stuff I used along with various sandpaper and tape. The tickets show what I spent on the stuff I didn't have. Also my fancy late model paint gun I shot everything with  :hyst:
ppg seems an easy paint to use

motorplex88

Finally got time to get her back together.

kd

HA, convenient comparison by going back to the first post.  I always liked the red and white colors but I gotta say the black and white with the heavy red stripe is real nice (and different too).  You did good with unknown paint quality and used what you had.  I like that too.
KD

Hossamania

That did turn out nice. Nice job.

76shuvlinoff

- Ernest Hemingway

motorplex88

Thanks for the kind words. It's been a fun project. Also got to fix alot of tinker stuff that I didn't even know was wrong. Mainly a broken frame !  :dgust:

david lee

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: david lee on March 06, 2021, 11:30:20 PM
Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on March 06, 2021, 03:40:24 AM
Looks great!
me too. not to sure about the screen

I always disliked windshields... until I got one.  :teeth:  The downside is you hear.... everything.

I ran that same windshield for years and liked it. I cut it down to match my height with the touring seat installed.  I over tightened a fastener and cracked it then it spread.  The shovel became a 2nd bike and I tossed the windshield. (My sister got in wreck when her windshield came loose and jammed up the steering on her sporty so I am leery of stuff like that)  I have a new one still in the box if I ever want to go back to the more original stance. It would work a lot better on mine if I went back to stock type handlebars.   
 - Ernest Hemingway

motorplex88

Yup. Windshields suck...till you don't have one. This one however is to tall and needs cut down a few inches. I've also entertained the idea of a fairing.

JW113

Wow that turned out really nice! Very tasteful paint scheme, well done dude. I also am not partial to windshields (or fairings), mainly because they buffet my head so bad it blurs my vision! Much prefer a sleeping back bungied to the bars if it's going to be a long ride.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

SanB2013

1976 FXE