March 28, 2024, 02:28:27 PM

News:

Time for paint

Started by motorplex88, January 16, 2021, 11:49:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bump

I never had to change a tire while on the road. I did take rear head off of shovelhead and replace blown head gasket. In a gas station next to service bay in middle of Arkansas. Took most of a day and I still have a picture of station owner and his son. That was back in early 80s. Still riding that shovel.

72fl

Quote from: motorplex88 on January 18, 2021, 06:30:49 PM
This is starting to be a little silly . I've used all my aerosols and will start using old fashioned red oxide. I can't even imagine how old is. So far I've had no I'll effects using old fillers , filling primers , and self etching primers. As far as fixing tires on the road, I have been fortunate enough to have people help roadside to hoist her up on something to get the wheel off.

I use to Love the smell of Lacquer and Imron  paint primer and Good Ol Ethyl Gas and uhhh what were we talking about :scratch: :hyst:

kd

Dupont Imron is particularly toxic.  I have a  couple of friends that used it extensively with the typically poor paper masks some of us thought were protecting us.  One of them is now a lost sole and in a home.  He was passing out and lost his ability to live alone.  The other will vomit if he enters a room that it is or was recently used in.  Great finish but BAAAAAD STUFF.   :down:
KD

72fl

Quote from: kd on January 19, 2021, 06:06:03 AM
Dupont Imron is particularly toxic.  I have a  couple of friends that used it extensively with the typically poor paper masks some of us thought were protecting us.  One of them is now a lost sole and in a home.  He was passing out and lost his ability to live alone.  The other will vomit if he enters a room that it is or was recently used in.  Great finish but BAAAAAD STUFF.   :down:

Oh I know Imron was something else, I have a friend that was painting in his garage, he is a qualified Painter, but the fumes made him horribly sick  as he was use to spraying it in a Factory with Industrial exhaust fan system unlike the small home shop thru wall exhhaust fan. I'll never forget how sick he got and needless to say he has never sprayed Imron again, that was 30 or so years ago.

motorplex88

Sandblasted the hinge fender . I think it had frame undercoat on it 😳 took for ever !. Now I got a little dolly work.

Hossamania

I'm jealous of you guys that can straighten those out nicer than when they were made. Looking forward to seeing your work.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

david lee

Quote from: Hossamania on January 19, 2021, 06:44:05 PM
I'm jealous of you guys that can straighten those out nicer than when they were made. Looking forward to seeing your work.
if its not straight your wasting your time painting it.i remember aftermarket tanks being so bad you had to repair them.i wonder if there improved now

Hossamania

January 20, 2021, 02:37:42 PM #32 Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 02:59:01 PM by Hossamania
Quote from: david lee on January 20, 2021, 01:01:51 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on January 19, 2021, 06:44:05 PM
if its not straight your wasting your time painting it.i remember aftermarket tanks being so bad you had to repair them.i wonder if there improved now

Depends on where you get them.
Drag Specialties may be ok.
I can tell you Jireh cycle not so much.

mike1969flh

Used to take a razor blade between hinge parts while paint was still wet. Worked sometimes sometimes not

motorplex88

Ain't had much time for .a couple of days to play. My brother has been on a ventilator and in a coma since November with covid-19. I retired January 1 and been helping his family as much as I can. He is now off the vent and awake . So I got a little time to do more fiddling with the fenders. Got some more time to put in before getting things straightened up. I just might have to try that razor blade deal.

motorplex88

Here's a dumb question. What retains the pin in the hinge for the rear fender ?  I don't have the pin and really never paid any attention to them when I used to have one on an old '73 flh.

Ohio HD

Harley Davidson 43-79 Fender Hinge Pin & Rivet Kit

OEM # 59862-30

or

Colony # 2806-5

motorplex88

I actually seen those but I guess I'm just a dim wit. Are the rivits supposed to keep the pin from sliding out ?

Ohio HD

motorplex88

Thanks. I'll have to get that pin kit coming or I may just simply make something of my own. No more than what they cost that may be silly. :doh:

motorplex88

I got the first color on. 2 more to go. I'm not happy at all as I got a dirt problem going on. Can't decide if it's from me blowing dirt from something or if there is crap in my paint gun. Gonna try to figure out how to help this before moving on. I see color sanding on my horizon.

Ohio HD

I used to always spray the floor down with water to keep from lifting dust and dirt.

kd

Quote from: Ohio HD on January 25, 2021, 07:53:00 AM
I used to always spray the floor down with water to keep from lifting dust and dirt.

:up:  and take the time to frame up a plastic booth that draws the air out of the bottom.  The blast of air past the paint target will lift dust. You are introducing more air inside the booth so it needs a way out that doesn't carry particles past the target.   A top down ventilation pays big dividends if you can make it happen.  You may be able to rent or borrow a fan that is used to remove humidity from flooded buildings or rooms or welding fumes. 
KD

motorplex88

I too have wet the floor before. Not sure if you can see it but rolled out some painters paper to cover the floor. This is the first time I have tried this. I really think it's something in the gun or maybe even the paint itself. The paint is very old and I should have double strained it. I might change guns as I have a few to choose from.

kd

:up:  Catch it early and you can hide it by the time you get to the top coat(s).
KD

motorplex88

January 25, 2021, 08:43:49 PM #45 Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 08:48:18 PM by motorplex88
I may have found my dirt (or whenever it is) problem. Shot the second color and the only thing in procedure I changed is I did not wear a mask. The first round I wore one of those surgical masks because that's all I had. This round I wore nothing , mainly because I just forgot  :dgust: . Things went alot cleaner. One more color to go. Also could have been the old paint.

motorplex88

Well I've learned my lesson. First my eyes are not sharp anymore. Second , don't put much faith in old materials. I've got material lift, tape track, tape bleed and the part that's my fault , under masking. I am pleased with my bodywork but that's about where it ends. THE worst paint job I have ever done. I'll try to fiddle around with it a little , color sand it and clear. For now I'll just have to live with it.

5-0king

A masterpiece in the making  :up:

Hossamania

I do like the paint scheme! A little rubbing and sanding in your future...

kd

I also like the paint scheme.  It looks period even if not correct.   I hope you can remedy what you see as problems. Tackle it like in the old metal flake days. Sand, shoot, sand ,shoot repeat, repeat ..... gloss coat and polish. I'm sure it will be cha when assembled and mounted.  Can't wait to see a pic.
KD