Thunder max on '08 FLST running issues

Started by Hybredhog, January 18, 2021, 12:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hybredhog

As if I need more chit to deal with right now after we had some really high winds come though & screw up the membrane roofing on my shop, The O.L. bike came up with some problem. The weather has been pretty nice for January around here in Mt., so the wife took her bike out for a putt. Well she started up the pass & it died, and she managed to get turned around to work it home. It did re-start, but wouldn't idle, and that's about as far as I could get to some direction on what was going on. At first I didn't hear the fuel pump pressuring up & thought it might be a fuel filter issue at 52k miles, time anyways. No luck there & got it to start with a good steady 55 psi pressure after the filter, but still not idling and rough. So I thought back to a few incidences with the CPS I've encounter, no such luck after a change. So I did notice a puff of black from the left side fake pipe crossover, broken bracket there making a big exhaust leak. To boot I took the TB off to replace the intake seals, they were getting  a bit cracked too.
    But still no idle, and use the Thunder max diagnostic codes that said no ECU signal (wouldn't it not run at all?), and the Tach had stopped working too. So I asked my lap top to bring up what the TM had in it for a map, & it showed a load of last time I had  been there about 8-9 yrs ago.
   Kind of getting to my wits end, and thinking IAC or if I can find it the OEM ECU & go power vision after that. I'm not in a really good mode right now to be dicking with this POS.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

fbn ent

January 18, 2021, 02:01:34 PM #1 Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 02:41:48 PM by fbn ent
Will it run with the TM hooked up? Sounds like a bad connection somewhere maybe? that has never happened to me but I'd sure like to know what out is....
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Armin

When I used to run my 2001 Heritage with the Thundermax some years back I ran into a similar problem and the IAC stepper was the culprit and this experience, although not directly related to the Thundermax, convinced me to switch to the Powervision Autotune system fore more ease of engine setup, no regrets! The PV with A/T makes the whole ECM job more transparent especially if you analyze your logged data files with the MegaLogViewer. Dynojet offers service whenever you desire.
But try a test run with the original ECM first.

Armin.
Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!

Hybredhog

It's been modified to a 103 & cams, is/was a really good runner short of the OL choice of duel pipes, one being a falsey (it made the TM scitzo), so I blocked it off. It is running with the TM, but won't idle, & the code I cleared was a U1016 on tsm & speedo (non recnize ECU?), and didn't recognize the tach. I have a IAC from another TB, and will try with a load of my last entry. The other odd thing that I noticed was when I loaded the map FROM the TM it was showing the RPM bar at 7700 not even running? I still haven't found the OEM ECU, but do have a non-security one from a '11 RG, I think it'll work? Not sure if Tach issue is related, there is no illumination on the HD tach, could be bulb or ground.

Don D

Neighbors bike broke down on a trip, similar issue, and he got a new ecm from them, on his dime, fixed the problem.

Hybredhog

January 19, 2021, 01:09:04 PM #5 Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 01:19:35 PM by jeffscycle
Yeah, I don't suspect TM would cover a new ECM after 9 years. If I do have to go there I'd rather use a OEM unit & a power  vision. So will the '11 RG ECM I have work with an '08, both no security ? I went with the TM because we're rather limited on Quality Dyno shops around here, so it was a logical choice. But now I've been getting the power visions from Fuel moto, and they're damn close, and if they want more there now is someone in the area that is pretty good with the Dyno.

Ajayrk

Make sure your battery ground cable is tight.  The Tmax uses the temp sensor more than the stock ecm. Check it to be sure it is working.
AJ

Rodman

No thundermax genius......but no tach signal sounds like the path to follow.
You said the tach signal is 7700 on the laptop?
Maybe TMax support can tell you what it would read if the wire is shorted/broken?

Hybredhog

As the story goes on, the tach does twitch when turned on & off, but doesn't work, still no light, but power to back of tach(I found a new bulb to test that). I sat down & read up on the TM manual, and the IAC (2 different ones),doesn't move when turned on, voltage to 3 wires (2.2v) & very little to one (.05v) cleaned & checked ECM connection. I'm leaning towards this puppy being bad, But I'm having trouble finding the stock ECM & the '11 one I have is a different plug :angry: So I want to plug in the stock one to see if IAC will move & that should confirm my diagnostics.

Hybredhog

Well to wrap up the story, TM has a "exchange program " to trade 2nd. generation units to 3rd generation units for $500. you send yours in, & you get back just the ECM & harness, less O2's. The newer units don't use/have the Diagnostic pig tail  & use just the O2 leads. I asked them to swap  the old tune from the old box to the new, as I put a lot of work in getting it dialed in for mileage, timing, and gearing. The old TM ECM was the problem, and it fired right  up with everything working. Now we just have to wait for above -0 weather to test drive. In the end, $500+ would've been spent on tuning the OEM ECU or other, so I guess it was for the best too go back to the TM.

fbn ent

Glad it's fixed. Makes me worry though, I'm still on Gen1 I think. '02  :dgust:

Hybredhog

Quote from: fbn ent on February 15, 2021, 11:41:35 AM
Glad it's fixed. Makes me worry though, I'm still on Gen1 I think. '02  :dgust:

doesn't hurt to ask if you think yours is acting weird. Not sure if your O2, are same wide band & connectors as this was. It did seem to start smoother right out of the gate. With the old one every once in awhile it would send a code light & we had to re-initiate it (3 on-3-0off), So not sure if it was ever really 100%.

fbn ent