April 16, 2024, 04:04:04 PM

News:

Just quit

Started by nw69fl, January 18, 2021, 05:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hillside Motorcycle

Giant chance it is the ignition, as Larry has also said.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Hossamania

Quote from: Fugawee on February 07, 2021, 08:31:33 PM
The VOES switch (Vacuum Operated Electric Switch) puts a vacuum on fuel from the petcock to the carb.  Many dis-connect them if they are for instance using a high flow petcock, such as a Pingel, or others.  If it is still operable, that is why You normally do not need to shut Your petcock/gas off when the Bike is not running.  Unlike the old days, or using a non stock type of petcock where You would probably shut Your gas off when not running.  With the VOES switch working, when You start the Bike, electrical current operates the switch which puts a vacuum (sucks) at the carb to the petcock, drawing fuel from the tank to the carb...simply put.  This is where that Vacuum Piston comes into play that I had mentioned earlier.  If there is a hole, tear, or not seated correctly under the Carb cap...could lead to a problem like I had.  If there is a problem with no current, or a problem with the VOES switch...You could possibly not be getting any, or the correct amount of fuel.  If You have an HD Service Manual for Your Bike, (I cant speak for aftermarket manuals) there should be a Section in there about how to test the VOES switch, as well as the Carb fuel circuit diagram.
The question that I have is though...when You say that the Bike dies, does the Engine just stop running?  Or do all of the Electrics say good-bye also?  Meaning no lights, horn, indicator lights. etc.   The answer to that question seems significant to Me.  That could possibly prove whether or not You have more of an Electrical problem, or a Fuel problem.  I would try all of the cheap, no money tests as previously mentioned here.  If You have a Buddy with a known good Coil, tell Him to come by with it, and try it out...see what happens.  Did this problem just recently rear it's ugly head?  Or was something done modification wise that brought all of this on?
Do You have a Single Fire, or Dual Fire Ignition System?

The VOES switch does not control fuel flow, it controls spark retard under load. The only connection it has with the petcock is that they share a vacuum line, but the switch itself has nothing to do with fuel or vacuum to the petcock.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

Can loss of vacuum in that common line occur with a failure in the VOES switch or leg of the hose?  Not to complicate the discussion, but could that then cause the petcock operation to fail?
KD

Fugawee

I'd really like to explain how the VOES, and whatever else has been explained to Me...and the couple of issues I have had with the Switch, and the Carb.  However, right at the present time...I have a bigger issue to deal with.

nw69fl

Sorry, single fire ignition

hbkeith

Tacocaster

From personal experience during my Evo days, I'm thinking Hoss and KD are on it - circuit breaker.

Remove the seat, run it again until it shuts down, turn the ignition off and listen closely around the breaker area.

Aside from the usual exhaust tick-down, if you hear a light 'click' sound in and around the area where your breakers are after a minute or so, you've found it!

Remember, keep your efforts simple and logical until the simples are eliminated.
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

Tynker

Earl "Tynker" Riviere

nw69fl

If I disconnect the VOES do I need to get a new petcock? Or do I plug the vacuum hose to the carb?

Hossamania

You run a new vacuum line from the carb to the petcock, eliminating the line to the voes, your stock petcock will work just fine.

Hossamania

Did you get it running?
Curious as to why you want to eliminate voes. You can disconnect it for testing, and reconnect it if you find that it is needed.

BKACHE

So when you say plenty of gas, are you about 2/3 low in the tank?
The vacuum petcock is known to fail. The vacuum line to the intake nipple, will not suck enough to open the fuel line.
If it doesn't suck enough the weight of the full tank of gas will not overcome the shutoff spring in the diaphram petcock.
If you think it could be the diaphram petcock - replace.
If yo a  re cheap like me take it off - remove the diaphram
and spring, reseal and make a non-diaphram outg of it.
Dan

nw69fl

I was just curious after a few of you mentioned the VOES. I got a new coil, plugs, wires and new 30amp breaker. I installed a new sensor earlier. I just haven't gotten around to riding yet.Our weather sucks!!

kd

February 22, 2021, 02:57:38 PM #38 Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 03:04:49 PM by kd
You may have changed the wrong breaker.  I believe it should be 40 amp and many are replacing it with 50 amp.

Search "main circuit breaker" on the site and there is lots of hits.  Here's one
KD