April 19, 2024, 03:18:28 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Why you should inspect a bike!

Started by FXDBI, January 18, 2021, 08:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FXDBI

All I can say is wow some people have no scruples. Fellow said it was making a new noise and the starter quit.  Bob

RKRuss

Hossamania

A Vulcan solid sprocket on the cheap!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

nomadmax

Beats finding the rear frame horns sawed off a touring frame.

Samsquanch

Haha! Was it creating issues or was this a discovery during service?

cheech

Quote from: Hossamania on January 19, 2021, 04:43:46 AM
A Vulcan solid sprocket on the cheap!
:up: I'd roll with it. It'll eventually break I'm sure but  :nix:

And curious why would it cause any extra noise or issues with the starter?

Rockout Rocker Products

When I first developed my product a fellow sent me a pic of him taking it a step further. Rather than buy inserts he arc welded a bar across the ends of both rocker shafts. Brilliant!  :baby:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

SixShooter14

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on January 19, 2021, 12:44:46 PM
When I first developed my product a fellow sent me a pic of him taking it a step further. Rather than buy inserts he arc welded a bar across the ends of both rocker shafts. Brilliant!  :baby:
that'll keep them from rotating...  :up:  :doh:
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Tacocaster

....sorta like a time bomb "without that annoying warning tick", eh?  :SM:
We're all A-holes. It's to what degree that makes us different.

Dan89flstc

How far do you go when inspecting a bike when buying?

I think it would be a bit much to ask a seller to remove a primary cover, unless you are offering top dollar for a used bike (hell, most owners wouldn`t know how to remove one).

Although if you are ready to make an offer on a bike, I don`t think it unreasonable to ask to remove outer fairing, fuel tank and seat. Some ugly stuff gets done to frames and electrical systems by clowns who shouldn`t own tools.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Hossamania

I've got to be honest, I'd be a little uncomfortable allowing a stranger to disassemble my bike.
The seat I'm ok with, but putting tools near my paint, not so much.

Nastytls

I wouldn't let anyone put a single wrench on my bike. You can have a test ride if you have full cash in hand, but if you want to take stuff apart, buy it. Otherwise, pound sand.

Hossamania

January 27, 2021, 01:06:44 PM #12 Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 01:11:32 PM by Hossamania
Quote from: Nastytls on January 27, 2021, 12:46:47 PM
I wouldn't let anyone put a single wrench on my bike. You can have a test ride if you have full cash in hand, but if you want to take stuff apart, buy it. Otherwise, pound sand.

I go back and forth on the 15 minute warranty instead of outright test ride, but I have to agree, there will be no disassembly other than me pulling the seat if asked.
I also struggle with making them take all the take off parts with them to clear space, or keep them "just in case". If they asked, I'd probably just send them with. Who the hell wants a stock RoadKing seat? They suck!

Dan89flstc

January 28, 2021, 08:59:19 AM #13 Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 09:07:58 AM by Dan89flstc
I wouldn't let anyone put a single wrench on my bike. 

In my previous post I should have been more clear, I meant ask the owner to remove tank/seat.

US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Hossamania

Quote from: Dan89flstc on January 28, 2021, 08:59:19 AM
I wouldn't let anyone put a single wrench on my bike. 

In my previous post I should have been more clear, I meant ask the owner to remove tank/seat.

You'll get one out of two of those from me. One is not the tank.

jmorton10

I don`t think it unreasonable to ask to remove outer fairing, fuel tank and seat.

I have been buying/selling bikes since the early 70's & I've never even heard of somebody removing a fairing or gas tank before buying a bike........

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Dan89flstc

Quote from: jmorton10 on January 28, 2021, 11:48:59 AM
I don`t think it unreasonable to ask to remove outer fairing, fuel tank and seat.

I have been buying/selling bikes since the early 70's & I've never even heard of somebody removing a fairing or gas tank before buying a bike........

~John

I did not say remove the fairing, I said outer fairing, which is a few screws.

I think everyone should do what they want...

US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

PoorUB

Eggxactly!

If someone wants me to pull the outer faring, fuel tank or even the seat, the deal just got sour!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hossamania

Reminds me of an old McDonalds commercial:
"What can I get for two dollars?"
"You can get out."

Quote from: Dan89flstc on January 28, 2021, 01:26:53 PM
Quote from: jmorton10 on January 28, 2021, 11:48:59 AM

~John

I did not say remove the fairing, I said outer fairing, which is a few screws.

I think everyone should do what they want...

I'm not sure what this statement means.
The buyer should do whatever they want?
Or the seller should do whatever they want? See my statement above.

Dan89flstc

January 28, 2021, 04:49:20 PM #19 Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 04:54:21 PM by Dan89flstc
Jeezus h... you guys sure got bent out of shape over this...

I gave my opinion.  You don`t agree. No big deal.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Hossamania

I have to ask, were you allowed to disassemble a bike you were interested in buying? And I have to be honest, you are the first I've ever heard suggesting to do this, wasn't sure how to take it. Probably overreacted, but I get a little wound up at times!
You should see me around religion and politics!

PoorUB

Same here, nobody has ever asked to "open up" a motorcycle I had for sale.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

HogMike

I've purchased a bunch of bikes over the years, some in boxes.
I think I've seen just about everything you can think of including the welded compensator.
I've actually welded my comp. years ago at a farmhouse when mine broke on the 65 far from any town. That bike got me home on another trip on one cylinder when I had a stuck valve and a bent pushrod.

Recent purchases I'll look at the odometer, visual inspection, ask the owner to start up cold and listen to the engine. I usually have any parts to replace anything broken or damaged on my new bike.
When selling one of mine, I'll ask the buyer if he has any questions. I'll start the bike, but no rides, he can follow me down the road and listen to me go through the gears, but I haven't done that in years. I don't HAVE to sell anything, if we don't meet an agreement, then I keep the bike. Lots of "flippers " out there.

As always, it's "buyer beware ".

JME
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Fugawee

I have bought, sold, and traded a few bikes over the years, as well.  Never have I been asked, or have I asked for anything to be removed from the bike for an inspection.  Unless I truly know the prospective buyer...no one is coming to My house.  So, the lack of tools I may have with Me in a shopping center parking lot will eliminate that request real fast.  Not that I would do it anyway, regardless of where We were.  Bikes that I have sold have all been in good to excellent condition.  If someone wants to check the oil, go ahead.  But if they want something removed, either buy it and remove it yourself; or move on to the next bike that they may have an interest in.  No test rides either, again...I need to know You, and know You well; before that is happening.  The only problem I ever had with a buyer was about a week after the sale the buyer called Me and said that the battery was dead.  He just wanted to know how old it was, which that question was overlooked in Our meeting  Just to keep Him happy, I bought Him a battery.  I am not an Indy, or a Dealer...but I felt it was the right thing to do.  He wasn't calling Me looking for a freebie, just info.  He was an honest Guy about it, and so was I.  I am one of those that feels what goes around, comes around...which so far seems to work.

Chief0299

Integrity and honor should force honest disclosure.

However... how many horror stories do we hear about guys buying new bikes straight from the dealer and a week later find critical items not properly torqued or assembled wrong?

Of note, 3 of my club brothers who have bought brand new bikes in the last 5 months have had issues ranging from riser clamp bolts being loose, coolant lines leaking, fairing hardware loose and rear axles being loose.

Those guys paid the dealer the setup fee to make sure the bikes were correctly assembled and safe to ride and end up finding otherwise.

I dont think it is unreasonable to ask to inspect certain things if you're paying full price, cash in hand and for full disclosure of everything done to the bike. Cash talks. If a seller gets evasive, theres other garage queens out there.