May 01, 2024, 02:48:42 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Dark horse compensater

Started by bobrk1, January 21, 2021, 06:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobrk1

Trying  to  decide  what  compensater  to  get , how  do  you  like  the  dark  horse ? Its  between  that  or a baker . Thanks 

Ohio HD

Can't help on the DH, I haven't tried one. The Baker unit, not me, they don't hold up well. I'd get an SE unit or the DH if others can give good feedback.

92flhtcu

The Dark Horse Man O War is a good unit, less vibe than the other "solid" options, on some bikes we have installed them on, the customers had us remove(they were habitual luggers and were warned!) If you know what your getting and do not lug, it is the last comp you will be buying
Need a bigger garage

Buglet

I guess that leaves 90% of the bike out.

bobrk1

I  just  don't  like  having  to  replace  cushions  every  30k, like  to install  something  and  forget  about  it  especially  at that  price 

Quote from: 92flhtcu on January 21, 2021, 09:04:15 AM
The Dark Horse Man O War is a good unit, less vibe than the other "solid" options, on some bikes we have installed them on, the customers had us remove(they were habitual luggers and were warned!) If you know what your getting and do not lug, it is the last comp you will be buying

What happens when you lug it? Not that I do, just curious 🤔

koko3052

Quote from: 838 on January 21, 2021, 10:55:29 AM

The firing impulses are transferred to the chain.

Ohio HD

Although most never touch an SE compensator till they make noise. The reality is the springs do get weak. The shimming is done to create the proper pressure and working depth for new springs. They will generally get sacked and flatter after 30,000 or 40,000 miles. I've put new springs in them, shimmed correctly, they'll work like new again.

No Cents

I've have had the Darkhorse unit in my bike this last riding season. It handles the 124 nicely. I have no complaints about it at all. John did his homework on it to make sure that it's right.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Oclaf

Quote from: koko3052 on January 21, 2021, 11:35:37 AM

i call bull...explain how that is even remotely possible...it is hilarious tho...

kd

Quote from: Oclaf on January 21, 2021, 07:36:09 PM

i call bull...explain how that is even remotely possible...it is hilarious tho...

I think he did explain it.  He just can't understand it for you.  Remove a compensator, replace it with a solid sprocket and lug it with heavy throttle under 2500 rpm.  The vibration you feel is what koko described working it's way down the driveline (through the chain first of course). A compensator absorbs (compensates) the vibration (hard push) caused by power stroke compression. HD uses ramps and springs, DH uses a type of rubber coupling.
KD

Coyote

Quote from: kd on January 21, 2021, 08:23:46 PM

I think he did explain it.  He just can't understand it for you.  Remove a compensator, replace it with a solid sprocket and lug it with heavy throttle under 2500 rpm.  The vibration you feel is what koko described working it's way down the driveline (through the chain first of course). A compensator absorbs (compensates) the vibration (hard push) caused by power stroke compression. HD uses ramps and springs, DH uses a type of rubber coupling.

:up:

cpiccarr

Is a compensator eliminator kit a good option? Anyone installed one on  a stock 96? Thoughts?

Nastytls

Quote from: cpiccarr on January 22, 2021, 04:40:30 AM
Is a compensator eliminator kit a good option? Anyone installed one on  a stock 96? Thoughts?

FYI, there are literally dozens of threads on that topic. All say the exact same thing every time.

SP33DY

I sold several Baker Compensators here. Only had one fail, about two years ago on a TC 124. Replaced it with a BDL CS-34A. That has been working ever since.

92flhtcu

As Bob stated, if you lug it, you'll get a harsh vibe
As NoCents is experiencing, they do what John designed them to do with no PMS, they spent 5 yrs on the cushion material development, it's probably going to last awhile
Need a bigger garage

John D

Just an FYI for the fellow who says he will have to replace every 30k - that # was a number I felt we needed to hit to make it a saleable piece.  We have a number of test mules with more than that on them without replacement yet.  The lifespan is something of an unknown at this point and can be altered by output and how it is driven.  We had a handful of these units in various configurations in the Bagger Roadrace at Laguna Seca and not one failure & in all reality that is the hardest replication of what street bikes should be put through.  Those bikes will not see 30k miles in the next year though unfortunately LOL.

92flhtcu

But they will be at Road America!!!!
Thanks for the input John
Need a bigger garage

JW113

Quote from: cpiccarr on January 22, 2021, 04:40:30 AM

Go ride a '70s & later Sportster. No compensator. And yes, you can feel it at low RPM.

But my question is, why would you want to? The old style compensators are bullet proof and work great. Do you mean a 1996 model, or a 96 cube twin cam?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

92flhtcu

JW-I was assuming he has a 96" crap compensator year bike....

Need a bigger garage

John D

Solid sprockets are hard on crankshafts components (crankpins/bearings/connrods) and outside of racing applications I would recommend against them. 

Bearing life is greatly reduced as there is nothing to absorb engine pulse,  Proven fact

shindig

I have the Dark Horse compensater and am very please with it.  It is very well made and rebuildable.  In my humble opinion the best on the market for a street application.

kd

Quote from: Darkhorse on January 25, 2021, 07:33:54 AM
Solid sprockets are hard on crankshafts components (crankpins/bearings/connrods) and outside of racing applications I would recommend against them. 

Bearing life is greatly reduced as there is nothing to absorb engine pulse,  Proven fact

Thank you for that.  I am so glad to hear that from you.  It is rare to get a firm response on the subject from someone with the experience and background you have.  I have always believed they were necessary for the same reasons.  Many others have gone solid and if it didn't show damage immediately they espouse that comps aren't necessary.

In 1955 Harley big twins went compensator (and Timken) and never looked back. (Well OK the Timken brg did in 2003) We all know they won't spend any more than necessary to get a bike built so there is a reason for them to develop one with longevity. The comps have a purpose.  We all hope your version is a winner over time.  It should be.  The same theory of operation has been found in industrial couplers (like the lovejoy) to dissipate heavy vibration for ages.
KD

choseneasy

Out of curiosity- why are they not deemed necessary on the Sportsters?
   Lighter bike?

jmorton10

When even the SE comp went bad in my 07 RK, I swapped it out for a Vulcan solid sprocket & I absolutely love the setup.  I have run nothing but solid sprockets for years, but I am always running motors I built with all S&S parts (flywheels/rods) that will stand up to a heck of a lot more abuse than a stock Harley lower end.

I had experience with stock Harley parts in a 117" motor with a stock lower end setup & that motor only made it 1900 miles before the lower end let go trashing the whole motor. That was a motor built by a well known shop that really should have talked the owner into an S&S lower end.......

Like I said, I love the solid sprocket setup but in any application with stock Harley flywheels I would definitely use the Dark Horse setup.

~Johm
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Hossamania

When using a solid sprocket, I would imagine one must ride the bike in a little different manner than the average rider that doesn't really pay much attention to what's going on with the driveline. No lugging, some extra clutch work necessary at low speeds, run gears out a little before shifting, etc. Hi po motors demand this, but this should be done anyway. We've all seen the riders that chug their bikes in the parking lot, or shift into 5th or 6th gear way too early and never downshift. I'm sure that's what tears up compensators too.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

jmorton10

You nailed that pretty good Hoss  :up: :up:

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Appowner

I have followed the threads on the Dark Horse unit for some time now.  When the time comes, I won't consider anything else for my bike.

xlfan

Does anyone know if 32T comp's are available yet? 

kd

XL, Darkhorse Crankworks is a vendor here.  You'll probably get your most complete answer by sending John a PM.  Nothing saying you can't fill us in on what you find out though.  :wink:
KD

xlfan

I guess they are overworked.
Where do I send the PM? I left a note in the Vendor section here, and e-mailed sales@darkhorse.

No Cents

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Hossamania

Quote from: xlfan on February 05, 2021, 04:18:58 AM
I guess they are overworked.
Where do I send the PM? I left a note in the Vendor section here, and e-mailed sales@darkhorse.

So you gave them about 3 hours to respond before deciding they too busy to get back to you?

xlfan

How do you figure that? I posted my question 8 days ago in the Vendor section.

xlfan

Quote from: No Cents on February 05, 2021, 04:48:12 AM
  call them.
(920)726-9999

English is not my native language, I find it much easier to avoid misunderstandings in written "conversations".

Hossamania

Quote from: xlfan on February 05, 2021, 07:50:15 AM
How do you figure that? I posted my question 8 days ago in the Vendor section.

My mistake.

John D

Really sorry about this, but in all honesty there are soo many methods of communication within our company and on the internet it is impossible to keep up with all of them.  Hell, I am still trying to figure Instagram, but my young guys who work for us continue to teach me...  (Not saying I will ever quite catch on to it)

I am always available via phone at 920.726.9999, but even there you have to be patient as we are absolutely running trying to keep up with demand - great problem to have!

Or contact me via john@darkhorsecrankworks.com as I do my absolute best to address every email by the end of each day, if I don't please email me again as I probably did not get it??

Or contact Andrew@darkhorsecrankworks.com or call him at the same number

Old fashioned communication is really what I do best and I know I can certainly get down to the bottom of any issue faster talking things through for any of you, a very open invitation to call any time!

xlfan

Thanks, I got an answer from Andrew. No indication though, if or when 32T comp sprocket will be available again.

Oclaf

Quote from: kd on January 21, 2021, 08:23:46 PM

Firing impulses and lugging engine are two separate meanings in my world, but hey, read it how one wants to...