April 24, 2024, 03:51:18 AM

News:

S&S 640 Compression?

Started by Badger711, January 21, 2021, 09:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Cents

my bike blew through the Rivera Pro clutch making 150hp.
You might want to re-think that clutch holding 150hp.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Badger711

Quote from: No Cents on January 24, 2021, 04:41:13 AM

Guess we're gonna see how it does in that case. Worst case i'll double up on the springs but it'll feel like "Potty mouth" if i do
Dalton
2007 FXDB, 117"

kd

Have no fear.  There are options.  :wink:
KD

Badger711

Quote from: kd on January 25, 2021, 07:06:27 AM
Have no fear.  There are options.  :wink:

Indeed, But they all cost more money lol :wink:
Dalton
2007 FXDB, 117"

1workinman

Yea I think I have one of those clutches in a box used very little , would have to check for sure as the Bandit is back in the bike .

sfmichael

January 26, 2021, 12:08:55 AM #30 Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 01:03:40 AM by sfmichael
more cam, more compression
maybe put some rockers on the 640
Colorado Springs, CO.

1workinman

Quote from: sfmichael on January 26, 2021, 12:08:55 AM
more cam, more compression
maybe put some rockers on the 640
If I get up your way this summer I can drop by with both of my money pit bikes . I think the 143 set at 12.2 and the 640 will be a pleasant surprise how well it runs against the 124 set at 11.4 I think now and 640 .  In my limited experience the 640 responds to compression

C-Cat

Why more compression on the 143ci?
124ci. 07 Streetbob 161/145
110ci. '11 Roadglide  129/127

Badger711

Decided on 12:1, Parts are in Jim's hands now so now it's the waiting game, and crossing my fingers the pro clutch holds. If not I'm shelling out another bit of cash for a scorpion.
Dalton
2007 FXDB, 117"

No Cents

...think Bandit  :wink:
If you need to buy another clutch that will hold the power and you want to only buy one more and being done with it...it's Bandit all day long.

Barrett

No Cents

Ohio HD

And to be fair, the above Barnett is not the Scorpion. Below is the Barnett Scorpion and a a stock disc.

kd

Thanks for that pic.  I often wondered how they compared physically to the stock and Bandit plates.  Both the Bandit and Scorpion will require the smaller diameter hubs.  Now I am wondering if they will work with each others (hub that is).
KD

Ohio HD

That I don't know. I don't have a Scorpion out at this time. But have a Bandit clutch on the shelf.

cheech

And furthermore with the pic of the 3 plates being misleading.
Isn't the stock one shown in that pic, the narrow one that is 1st in along with the damper spring and seat?

Ohio HD

1workinman

A  I have a Rivera Pro that I don't think would hold 145 hp or so . The bandit that in there now works good . In my Road Glide it has a lock up clutch in it . The clutch that was in there when I got the bike would not hold after the motor was not stock ,  For me at the 150 hp or so a Bandit clutch and I want a better basket . I have just did not want to have a basket come apart at any speed

Nick L

Badger711

To each their own, but I've ridden a few bandit bikes and they have never felt the greatest to me. The scorpion on the other hand holds power fine and feels very good IMO. If I blow through the rivera it'll be a scorpion lockup that goes in. That being said if you like the feel of the bandit then have at it I'm just personally not a fan compared to the barnett.
Dalton
2007 FXDB, 117"

Hossamania

What didn't you like about the Bandit?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

C-Cat

February 07, 2021, 01:09:09 PM #46 Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 01:46:18 PM by C-Cat
They're plenty out there, I'm happy with both my EVO Industries and Rekluse clutches on my bikes. I haven't ran either the Bandit or Scorpion so I haven't an opinion on either. If I'm in need for another clutch, it will be the Rekluse. Below pic of EVO Industries plates, they're Beefy, lots of surface.
124ci. 07 Streetbob 161/145
110ci. '11 Roadglide  129/127

Ohio HD

Quote from: C-Cat on February 07, 2021, 01:09:09 PM
They're plenty out there, I'm happy with both my EVO Industries and Rekluse clutches on my bikes. I haven't ran either the Bandit or Scorpion so I haven't an opinion on either. If I'm in need for another clutch, it will be the Rekluse. I'll post pics of the EVO clutch plates soon.

I agree with you. What ever works for you is all that matters.

Too many people have opinions on things they personally haven't tried. I bought a Bandit to put behind my 124. Bought it while I was building the motor. Started the 124 and had it dyno tuned with the Scorpion still in there. Zero issues. Holds it fine. Bandit is still on the shelf for when I may need or want to use it. The Scorpion now has about 30k miles on it. Back road, hot rodding being 50% of the time.

I've never had to adjust it unless I was taking the clutch apart, or replacing the cable. I also don't run a VP pressure plate. The spring pressure and clutch surface is enough. 

Badger711

Quote from: Ohio HD on February 07, 2021, 01:31:50 PM

Too many people have opinions on things they personally haven't tried. I bought a Bandit to put behind my 124. Bought it while I was building the motor. Started the 124 and had it dyno tuned with the Scorpion still in there. Zero issues. Holds it fine. Bandit is still on the shelf for when I may need or want to use it. The Scorpion now has about 30k miles on it. Back road, hot rodding being 50% of the time.

I've never had to adjust it unless I was taking the clutch apart, or replacing the cable. I also don't run a VP pressure plate. The spring pressure and clutch surface is enough.

Agreed. Also, you don't run the lockup on yours? We've got the lockup version on the turbo bike because it seemed necessary at 250hp, i haven't felt one without the lockup.

And I personally didn't like the bandit especially in the friction zone, not a good breakaway feel on the springs, and tough level pull compared to the scorpion.

Plenty of people love them though.
Dalton
2007 FXDB, 117"

Ohio HD

Quote from: Badger711 on February 07, 2021, 08:45:21 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on February 07, 2021, 01:31:50 PM

Agreed. Also, you don't run the lockup on yours? We've got the lockup version on the turbo bike because it seemed necessary at 250hp, i haven't felt one without the lockup.

And I personally didn't like the bandit especially in the friction zone, not a good breakaway feel on the springs, and tough level pull compared to the scorpion.

Plenty of people love them though.

No, I'm running all green springs and that holds fine. I used all short gold springs with the 117", but the 124" needed more spring pressure.

Turbo, no doubt need some additional pressure to hold.