April 16, 2024, 06:19:08 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

johnson B2303 lifters

Started by 1340evo, January 26, 2021, 01:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

Hi All

Maybe you can help me out a bit here... I'm re-doing my 1340 Evo from the crank up and its coming together nice, but just looking around today for tappets and everything is out of stock. I have everything else so looked on E-bay and came accross these.

johnson B2303.. date on box is 2016

But I've searched the net and not much on them other than maybe the best setting for them is ".070 and not ".140.

So the question is, are they any good. I did see a add in the US for these at $39 so that got me thinking, are these China imports branded as the US made? I can't see anything costing $39 as being any good, but other ads with them at $150.. so confused.

Do I put these in my nice new engine or put them back on ebay.. and if I do move them on, whats the best to buy?.. Thanks

thumper 823

is your valve train stock?
if so plain jane Harley crap will work well.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

1340evo

yes, but the problem is what I can get in the UK.. everything is sold out..

EV27 cam, adjustable rods (if required) S&S rockers.. everything else is about std.

are Johnson's okay.. It's about all I can get..... or I wait until stocks back in... but who knows how long?

jsachs1

Quote from: 1340evo on January 26, 2021, 01:55:45 PM

EV27 cam, adjustable rods (if required) S&S rockers.. everything else is about std.

are Johnson's okay.. It's about all I can get..... or I wait until stocks back in... but who knows how long?
Those are the ones I use in ALL my EVO builds.  :up: Never a problem. Check with WFO LARRY, he usually has them in stock.
John

thumper 823

*Johnsons are fine,
BUT
As you stated, make sure they are not counterfeit as most everything has been duplicated by china.
Verify your sources.
Johnson afaik makes two styles reg and high lift.

Comp cams make a supposed great lifter too    part #  7391-4

Ohio HD

Quote from: jsachs1 on January 26, 2021, 02:10:37 PM

Those are the ones I use in ALL my EVO builds.  :up: Never a problem. Check with WFO LARRY, he usually has them in stock.
John

:up:

Ohio HD

As John said above.

Also, if the S&S rockers are roller rockers, I wouldn't with that cam. Not needed at all.

I'd use adjustable push rods, get good quality.

1340evo

No, not roller rockers, just std ones. I was advised against rollers.

thumper 823

Ohio HD

Quote from: 1340evo on January 26, 2021, 11:30:11 PM
No, not roller rockers, just std ones. I was advised against rollers.

:up:

wfolarry

Check with Fast Lane Headwork over there in the UK. I supply him with lifters. He would be able to tell if the ones you have are genuine or counterfeit.

thumper 823

More and more I have found eBay to sell genuine counterfeit everything.

They duplicate the factory box and all!

1340evo

Quote from: wfolarry on January 27, 2021, 04:09:03 AM
Check with Fast Lane Headwork over there in the UK. I supply him with lifters. He would be able to tell if the ones you have are genuine or counterfeit.

That's one guy I didn't check with as he don't do much Evo stuff now.. but a good call. Do you sell him Evo ones? had I of know I'd of bought from him.
The Guy on E-bay I did buy them from, I've asked where he originally got them, so could turn out its the same place.. Lets see. If not I'll give Headwork's a call  :up:

capn

I got some bogus Johnsons off e-bay.Didnt go 2k miles in a Ultima 120.I put the original Ultima  Johnsons back in been good for over 10k.

1340evo

Quote from: capn on January 27, 2021, 06:30:55 AM
I got some bogus Johnsons off e-bay.Didnt go 2k miles in a Ultima 120.I put the original Ultima  Johnsons back in been good for over 10k.

eeek.. that don't sound good, how did they fail?.. pressure I hope and not needle bearings all over your engine!

1340evo

Quote from: wfolarry on January 27, 2021, 04:09:03 AM

Do you have any pointers to look for??

thumper 823

why can you not order a set from over here?

1340evo

Quote from: thumper 823 on January 27, 2021, 08:42:32 AM
why can you not order a set from over here?

Guess I could but a lot out of stock right now.. and what do I order. The same thing?

thumper 823

WFOlarry a few post above says he has them

1340evo

yup.. might end up doing if I can't trust these.... see what they are like first..

capn

When they failed it was just one but it started to make a clacking noise.I went straight home.The lifter roller was froze up, it destroyed the cam but no rollers came out.

1340evo

Quote from: capn on January 27, 2021, 02:50:26 PM
When they failed it was just one but it started to make a clacking noise.I went straight home.The lifter roller was froze up, it destroyed the cam but no rollers came out.

That's bad enough, so need to know if these are good or not...

thumper 823

If you have stock or near-stock (bolt in) bump stick,  most any lifters will work if not made in chinn-na-na.
  Their ride over the mountain is pretty EZ.
  Once trespassing the 500 mark I would start to get pretty fussy.
@ around the 600 mark, I would be investing in rollers in the top to help ease the pain.
  (plus a couple of other mods)
I have no clue how long lifters should last but I do know their life is exponentially shorter the more that is asked of them.
Even Harley has a milage number for their TBO of their Plain jane stock lifters.

hbkeith

If you bought the $39 ones , i would just get some from Larry and not have the worry , and sometimes lifters go a lot of miles , got a 96 EVO bagger in shop with a froze lifter now , bike is 100% stock motor with 160000 miles ,owner wants to just change Cam and Lifters so he can head to Alaska in spring ,   guy says its the second EVO he has put that many miles on without touching motor . rare ?

JohnnyCashPan

My 2 cents is to pull  all 4 lifters for an examination around 30,000 miles; check them and the cam for any problems.  If a roller or the cam shows excessive wear/damage, replace them all.  Why run new rollers on a used cam lobe?
Old, slow and fat...

thumper 823

Pretty common to replace rollers without problems with a cam lobe because
Rollers roll across rather than surf on the  film and have a "break-in" to go with it

Flhfxd

I have 30 over Johnson's in my evo rebuild. Mild cam. No issues. Bike runs real strong and I do wind it up more often than not. I have put over 10,000 miles on those lifters. FWIW.
Cheers, Flhfxd.
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

thumper 823

I have been running Johnsons.
  No problems ....
BUT
They have DO not guarded bearings, so now @ 600 lift, I am getting nervous.
  I will be replacing them with a brand that will keep the needles in place even if they don't like it.
There are a couple of choices out there for the Evil Evo.
If I had a bolt-in cam the Johnsons would stay.   
The CAM side of this engine) (any EVO engine? )  has given me a lot of problems on this learning curve. 
Hint- they don't have a tapered pinion any more,  and all they use is a tip of a toothpick to drive the gear that drives the cam.
That little nut is not worth much.
"The slipped gear scenario if you have a big bump stick with heavier springs."
As HD moved into the EVO and twink generations, they dropped the better machining operation in lieu of cheaper ways of doing lower-end parts.

1340evo

on mine, you can't see the needles, so maybe they made the sides a bit longer... if the axle fails I guess they would escape tho.