April 18, 2024, 08:29:49 PM

News:

M8 124 build

Started by rglide17, January 29, 2021, 09:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rglide17

So, I'm in the process of redoing my 124 build (S&S kit, 11:1 C.R. hpi 62mm tb) tore everything down and I'm currently waiting for my flywheel to be trued at darkhorse which will take 6 weeks. In the meantime, I've been looking at dyno sheets of all the different high lift cams. I have a feuling 521 with solid push rods waiting to be installed once I get my engine back but I'm debating on changing the setup. I've been looking at the comp cam 248. My question is, has anyone ran this cam with a similar set up? Since I'm having my flywheel trued, I figured I'd chase higher numbers but was looking for some input on which direction to go. Thanks for any help and I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong thread, it's my first time posting here.

DTTJGlide

January 30, 2021, 01:02:08 AM #1 Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 01:12:22 AM by DTTJGlide
The Comp 248 needs more than 11.1 CR to reach it's full potential, more like 12.1, I haven't seen  any tests on that cam, but the specs are very similar to the CR482. I think there's one in the dyno section with very good results, unless you're dead set on a Comp cam I'd go for the CR482, both will work at 11.1 but might be a little soft down low. I'm not good with links, just search CR-482 in the dyno section.

FLSTFIDave

January 30, 2021, 04:15:11 AM #2 Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 04:21:27 AM by FLSTFIDave
The CR-482 is very good at 12.1 to 1 compression.  I ride it all over on 93 octane.  It runs on 91 if you do not beat on it, no issues in West AR mountains on 91 on a 92 degree day.

I have a 130 build dyno sheet in that section.
2023 CVO Road Glide Whiskey Neat
2021 Pan America Special, Gray,  2003 Fatboy

Hillside Motorcycle

We use the S&S .550 quite often in our 124"s/128"s.
Mid-upper 140"s hp is the norm on the 124"s....128"s tip into the 150"s, with torque approaching 160, with our M8 Heads, and other relevant parts.
Dyno reports on our company Facebook.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Don D

Not the worst and nowhere near the best. That cam does not hit real hard but will make numbers on top. It needs a solid 12:1 and also needs piston to valve clearance checked if milling heads to get there. S&S pistons are dished, check your compression by fluid checking and deck height measurement.

rglide17

Thanks for all of the help guys! I've been scrolling through the dyno section and I'm really digging that CR480 and 482. Since I'm already here, does anyone have a recommendation on a shorty or mid length pipe that won't kill performance? I have a royal t racing shorty now but I've never seen what it does on the dyno. When I bought it, I never planned on doing a performance build but here I am. I like the looks of the new FM riot but haven't seen many charts with it either.

kd

Welcome to the forum.  I think you'll find that pretty well all of the "short" version pipes will not produce the left side low end power you may want.  You don't say what model but I'll assume it has something to do with your signature.  The loss of low end torque in a touring platform generally ruins the flavor of the offering by making it soft.  On a lighter chassis it may not matter. Looking at the baffle in the Royal T short pipe tells me it will be one loud mother too.
KD

Don D

Stack that on the 248 cams timing and it will be very right side biased.

Durwood

As mentioned the 248 needs 12:1 to work well. I use the CR-482 in this application with the compression set at 12.3:1, this yields CCP of 230, which is very close to what a stock 114 M8 has.

Here's a 124 we did with the CR-482, V&H Power dual head pipe and Fuel Moto Outlaw mufflers

[attach=0]

Hillside Motorcycle

We have the S&S .550 hitting like a truck down low, and carrying out to peak rpm.
Dyno reports on our Facebook. :smile:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"