March 28, 2024, 10:50:04 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

starting

Started by david lee, January 31, 2021, 07:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lee

what i did do was disconnect the thick yellow wire from the ign at the breakers end and clicking stopped but when reconected clicking returned.im ancious for my mate to turn up and solve the problem and what it is. will post the solution. some might be interested

david lee

what does the single pink wire do and go to from the ign breaker when i disconnect that wire everythings back to normal it goes thru the harness up under the tank someone has joined that wire with a 2 inch piece of wire where it goes under the tank and when i stripped the insulation back where it was joined it was all kinked up. should that wire have power when not connected to the breaker with ign on thanks all

billbuilds

Quote from: david lee on February 03, 2021, 11:36:13 PM
what does the single pink wire do and go to from the ign breaker when i disconnect that wire everythings back to normal it goes thru the harness up under the tank someone has joined that wire with a 2 inch piece of wire where it goes under the tank and when i stripped the insulation back where it was joined it was all kinked up. should that wire have power when not connected to the breaker with ign on thanks all

Dave, That pink wire goes to your tachometer.

crock

At the top of this category there is a sticky for wiring diagrams. Check it out
Crock

capn

I had the same thing happen on my shovel.Every time I turned the ignition on the breaker tripped.It was a dead short inside the handlebar on the wire to the on/off switch or start button cant remember which. I just disconnected the wire and installed a remote start button.Mounted on the coil cover.

david lee

February 04, 2021, 12:11:39 PM #30 Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 12:19:06 PM by david lee
Quote from: billbuilds on February 04, 2021, 02:59:08 AM
Quote from: david lee on February 03, 2021, 11:36:13 PM

Dave, That pink wire goes to your tachometer.
thanks will pull the dash and have a look. is that a live wire when ign on

david lee

February 04, 2021, 12:16:50 PM #31 Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 12:21:33 PM by david lee
Quote from: capn on February 04, 2021, 05:36:52 AM
I had the same thing happen on my shovel.Every time I turned the ignition on the breaker tripped.It was a dead short inside the handlebar on the wire to the on/off switch or start button cant remember which. I just disconnected the wire and installed a remote start button.Mounted on the coil cover.
did you change the bars that caused your problem i have not touched my switch.what did you find inside the switch thanks my wiring does not go thru the bars

capn

Could be just the push button or on/off switch.Undo the switch cover and look inside see if there are burnt wires.

david lee

Quote from: capn on February 04, 2021, 12:38:04 PM
Could be just the push button or on/off switch.Undo the switch cover and look inside see if there are burnt wires.
THAT WILL BE MY LAST LOOK WILL PULL THE DASH AND CHECK THE PINK-ORANGE WIRE FROM THE TACO TO THE BREAKER THATS CAUSING THE PROBLEM

billbuilds

Dave, Hold on, I told you wrong. Just to be sure, IIRC you have a 1980 FXS correct? If so, that pink wire goes to the high bean indicator light. The tachometer gets an orange wire on one terminal and a yellow on the other. The orange wire brings power to the tach light, the yellow wire comes off the top of the coil and that's what works your tach needle.  Sorry for the  :bf:    Bill

david lee

Quote from: billbuilds on February 04, 2021, 04:45:36 PM
    Dave, Hold on, I told you wrong. Just to be sure, IIRC you have a 1980 FXS correct? If so, that pink wire goes to the high bean indicator light. The tachometer gets an orange wire on one terminal and a yellow on the other. The orange wire brings power to the tach light, the yellow wire comes off the top of the coil and that's what works your tach needle.  Sorry for the  :bf:    Bill
thanks dash is unplugged .off the bike and still the problem

billbuilds

Is your ignition breraker tripping almost the instant that you turn on the ignition switch or just when you hit the start button? If it trips the instant you turn onthe ignition switch I'd check the white wire that goes from the ig terminal on the ignition switch to the top or buss-bar side of the ignition breaker. Do you have an ohmeter to check for continuity/ground outs?

david lee

Quote from: billbuilds on February 04, 2021, 05:13:18 PM
    Is your ignition breraker tripping almost the instant that you turn on the ignition switch or just when you hit the start button? If it trips the instant you turn onthe ignition switch I'd check the white wire that goes from the ig terminal on the ignition switch to the top or buss-bar side of the ignition breaker. Do you have an ohmeter to check for continuity/ground outs?
clicks when turn the key. my mate has the meter.im waiting for him to show up with the offending wire connected or not connected i get a faint clicking at the ign relay when pressing the button with the battery fully charged.the relay was good until this problem thanks

bump

Check the starter soleniod small wire mounted on primary. If the large wires from battery are on wrong terminals it will do what you are getting. My shovel did that when I changed the large cables. Wiring diagram sowed the two wires backwards.

Hossamania

Quote from: bump on February 05, 2021, 02:49:20 AM
Check the starter soleniod small wire mounted on primary. If the large wires from battery are on wrong terminals it will do what you are getting. My shovel did that when I changed the large cables. Wiring diagram sowed the two wires backwards.

It seems everything worked fine until the bike fell off the lift. Unless some work was done while it was on the lift that hasn't been mentioned.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

david lee

February 05, 2021, 11:32:59 AM #40 Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 11:41:40 AM by david lee
Quote from: Hossamania on February 05, 2021, 05:25:42 AM
Quote from: bump on February 05, 2021, 02:49:20 AM

It seems everything worked fine until the bike fell off the lift. Unless some work was done while it was on the lift that hasn't been mentioned.
no work done on lift thats why its puzzling the one thing that has changed is the starter relay is clicking when you press the starter even if the offending wire is connected or not with a fully charged battery that didnt happen before its like i could leaved that wire disconected as everything works exept the starter relay maybe the relay and that wire have something in common. that wire is there for a reason thank you

Hossamania

Going to have to find the dead short then.
You could replace the relay as a test, but pretty sure it is a short somewhere.

david lee

Quote from: Hossamania on February 05, 2021, 11:42:58 AM
Going to have to find the dead short then.
You could replace the relay as a test, but pretty sure it is a short somewhere.
yes. thats what my mate said its just a matter of him coming to find it thanks mr hoss

Hossamania

Good luck, hope it goes well.

david lee

the offending wire actually goes to the accessory breaker.what i did find out is when i put a test light on that breaker and the lights breaker with ign on there was power but no power to to ign breaker. i might be getting somewhere

david lee

for those interested when the bike fell it cut the org wire near the starter relay and was earthing out on the bracket that holds the starter motor under the battery tray thanks to those who replied

bump

An old quote from Mechanics teacher.

A close visual inspection will often reveal the source of the problem.

david lee

Quote from: bump on February 07, 2021, 02:48:05 AM
An old quote from Mechanics teacher.

A close visual inspection will often reveal the source of the problem.
yes but it was hidden behind a bracket

76shuvlinoff

:up: :up: Glad it's resolved.

I hate electrical issues, the most finger printed pages in my shovel manual are the schematics.  20 some years ago I got fed up and replaced the whole harness. Good lord you would not believe the cobbling I found between the tanks. Been good since ... and I just jinxed it.  :smileo:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

capn

Glad you got it goin David Lee.Now a nice ride to put it behind you.