April 23, 2024, 02:25:29 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Spoortster Xlh Starter Ring Gear

Started by saltcaveminer, February 01, 2021, 05:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltcaveminer

Can somebody tell me which way the XLH starter ring gear gets installed. Bevel or Flat side facing the Bendix gear. Some people say it doesn't matter but I would like to install it the way Harley does it.Thanks

rigidthumper

I was taught Bevel towards the Bendix.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

saltcaveminer

I feel the same way- bevel for better engagement.thank you Anyone else?

saltcaveminer

Well, I received a pic of a XLH stock clutch basket and the factory position is to have the flat facing the starter Bendix. I also found an ad by a company that sells TC rings and states their unit has the bevel for better engagement to the starter jack shaft.I will face the flat towards the starter Bendix.Salty   

saltcaveminer

Just a follow up.I contacted a vendor who sells the ring for Ironheads the ring they sell has no bevel.

xlfan

February 03, 2021, 06:56:11 AM #5 Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 10:44:08 PM by FSG
This is from a 67 xlh. It indicates a slight bevel towards primary chain.

[attach=0,msg1376794] 

saltcaveminer

Excellent! Thank you! My brain can finally rest :argue: 

kd

That makes the most sense.  I was visualizing the bevel cut described to be similar to the bendix gear teeth (on the side of the tooth nose)  The way it is in the pic you don't get any better engagement either way but you will get a more full surface contact for cranking.
KD