M8 107 running much cooler after cam swap?

Started by flh canuck, February 02, 2021, 08:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flh canuck

Recently swapped a RS 468 cam into my 2018 twin cooled 107 Ultra Limited. Also upgraded to the latest HD 2020 oil pump kit and installed new map as supplied by Fuel Moto in my Powervision tuner at the same time.

Very happy with the increased performance and of course, love the exhaust note. One thing I was not expecting was the drastic reduction in engine temperature. Prior to the cam swap, I was running essentially a stage one tune in my Powervision for the  previously installed V&H Propipe and S&S air cleaner. According to the gauge on my tuner, the engine was constantly running between 280 and 300 degrees no matter what the ambient outside air temperature. The EITMS was constantly kicking in at stop lights even after coming off the highway and playing with the tune had no appreciable effect on running temperature.

With the cam swap and other changes, my engine temperature now runs consistently at 260 degrees. I've put a few hundred miles on the engine in all kinds of riding conditions (highway riding as well as stop and go) and not once has the EITMS kicked in and yes, it is still enabled.

I am assuming the cam (and Fuel Moto tune) had the largest impact on engine temperature in that it allows the engine to breath better and run a little more efficiently but am also wondering if the new oil pump kit is allowing the engine to run cooler aka better scavenging?  There were no signs of sumping previously and when I pulled the cam chest apart at approx. 12000 miles, everything inside looked brand new with no signs of any wear or other problems. Very pleased with the results but wondering if others have noticed a significant engine temperature decrease after doing a cam swap?
2018 Ultra Limited. Back in black!

scott7d

I bought a 2020 CVO Road Glide back in April. Off the showroom floor I had them throw on a full exhaust and stage 1 flash. The bike got so hot that my fiancé had to prop her legs up in my lap at stop lights on long hot days. Her legs would get red marks frequently from the heat, I could definitely feel it to.

A few months into ownership, I had the Cyclerama 480 installed and a dyno tuned performed (Durwood on these forums did the work). My fiancé and I both immediately noticed a drastic reduction in heat. It made me wonder how something didn't go wrong with the bike prior to getting tuned, it got that hot (Hotter than my old high compression twin cam 124"). My opinion, the key is in the tune. Or in your case, it sounds like you got a decent map from Fuel Moto.
Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser