April 17, 2024, 07:50:45 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Options for a lower seat

Started by Pete_Vit, February 03, 2021, 08:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete_Vit

I took my first ride in traffic on the new Ultra last week to get some speakers replaced, one issue I have with short legs is cramping in traffic, on and off the floor boards. my short inseam is getting the best of me, I talked to Mean City Cycles and they cannot modify my 2010 seat to make it narrow or lower due to the seat pan  :emsad: Does anyone have a suggestion for a rider seat that will get me lower? a narrower seat?
TIA!  :wink:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Hossamania

I'm a fan of the Sundowner seat from HD. Have it on my RK and '12 Ultra. Your dealer may have a demo you can try.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

calif phil

Mustang Wide Tripper solo was perfect for me and was surprisingly comfy.  You can get them with or without pillion seat and a drivers backrest. 

Pete_Vit

:up: thanks Hoss, Phil, I'll check 'em both  :beer:

PoorUB

Hoss should know what will work for a seat with his 24" inseam.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Hossamania

Quote from: PoorUB on February 03, 2021, 09:52:34 AM
Hoss should know what will work for a seat with his 24" inseam.

24" is a little generous, but I'll take it!

Leed

I talked to Mean City about my 09 seat and they said the same thing. They suggested a new model seat like a 2012. Maybe ask them again if they could mod a newer seat. I picked up a 2012 but haven't done anything else. There is a noticeable difference in the seat pans between the two.

Jim Bronson

MCC did a good job on my 2015 RK stock seat. They did the "Super Narrow" mod. I don't sit a lot lower, but my legs are closer together. My inseam is 30", and it is easier to get my feet down at a stop.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Ironpig9

I'm in the shorty club and also ride an Ultra (2001). One of the things I found helped was a pair of Progressive 944 shocks. Not only did they lower the bike an inch but they also maintain proper travel (don't ask me how). They provide a much better ride than stock Ultra shocks as well. You also might check out La Pera and see if they have a seat for an Ultra. I have a low profile La Pera on my 2002 RK which gets my feet on the ground nicely. Good luck. Tippy-toe at stops is not joyous on a heavy-as-hell Ultra.
"The road goes on forever...."

bump

I tried a pair of those thick soled boots, could not get my toe under the shifter and above the peg.

Hossamania

Quote from: bump on February 04, 2021, 03:16:56 AM
I tried a pair of those thick soled boots, could not get my toe under the shifter and above the peg.

Those shifter pegs are adjustable....   :wink:

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Leed on February 03, 2021, 11:16:45 AM
I talked to Mean City about my 09 seat and they said the same thing. They suggested a new model seat like a 2012. Maybe ask them again if they could mod a newer seat. I picked up a 2012 but haven't done anything else. There is a noticeable difference in the seat pans between the two.
yep that was what Chris suggested was buy a 2011 seat off Ebay, I may still do that  :up:

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Ironpig9 on February 03, 2021, 02:23:41 PM
I'm in the shorty club and also ride an Ultra (2001). One of the things I found helped was a pair of Progressive 944 shocks. Not only did they lower the bike an inch but they also maintain proper travel (don't ask me how). They provide a much better ride than stock Ultra shocks as well. You also might check out La Pera and see if they have a seat for an Ultra. I have a low profile La Pera on my 2002 RK which gets my feet on the ground nicely. Good luck. Tippy-toe at stops is not joyous on a heavy-as-hell Ultra.
when I first sat on the bike I checked how my feet hit the floor, my feet are flat on the floor, I was thinking shocks but was concerned about changing the ride angle, I wonder what shocks the Ultra Low are using?

Rodman

I guess wearing those boots would cause chaffing on you cheeks from your knees...or be helpful with keeping your ears warm.... :SM:

bump

Quote from: Hossamania on February 04, 2021, 05:12:14 AM

Didn't notice until time to shift to 2nd gear.

Hossamania

Quote from: bump on February 05, 2021, 02:40:30 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on February 04, 2021, 05:12:14 AM

Didn't notice until time to shift to 2nd gear.

Yup, done that before!

76shuvlinoff

32 inch inseam here. 2012 Ultra EG. I used the Burley rear end lowering kit to drop it maybe an inch. I tried the Harley Reach seat and it was like clamping the boys in a vise.  I took my stock seat to local guy that redoes car and boat upholstery plus rebuilds rag tops.  It's an added benefit that he is no taller than I am and rides.  He removed padding from the bottom of the seat, narrowed it at the thighs then added 3/4 of dense padding behind my tailbone. I can flat foot the bike in sneakers if I want to.   The queen still has her throne.

That was 7 years ago and the seat is still holding up. My longest day was 578 miles. Yeah my ass hurt but I made it.  :teeth:

I also put different bars on it so I wasn't leaning forward and looking up, that was killing my neck and shoulders.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

jmorton10

I might be 5'6" on a good day lol.

This is a Corbin seat made for short people, I love it.  That seat along with 12" oehlin shocks & front end lowered 1" with Progressive monotubes works for me.......

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Appowner

Though not the same model nor the same reasons but I love my Corbin seat.  No thoughts of using anything else.  Love the quick key operated detach feature too.

jmorton10

Corbin makes that same model seat for softails also.  When I had a 2000 Heritage, I used the same seat on that one also.

I have used that same model seat on 4 different bikes now & I love it. Corbin leather seats take some break-in when they are new before they become really comfortable (or maybe your ass breaks in lol) but after that they basically last forever....

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Pete_Vit

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on February 05, 2021, 01:54:40 PM
32 inch inseam here. 2012 Ultra EG. I used the Burley rear end lowering kit to drop it maybe an inch. I tried the Harley Reach seat and it was like clamping the boys in a vise.  I took my stock seat to local guy that redoes car and boat upholstery plus rebuilds rag tops.  It's an added benefit that he is no taller than I am and rides.  He removed padding from the bottom of the seat, narrowed it at the thighs then added 3/4 of dense padding behind my tailbone. I can flat foot the bike in sneakers if I want to.   The queen still has her throne.

That was 7 years ago and the seat is still holding up. My longest day was 578 miles. Yeah my ass hurt but I made it.  :teeth:

I also put different bars on it so I wasn't leaning forward and looking up, that was killing my neck and shoulders.
so there's no handling issue with a lowering kit? I was looking at that option after I found the Progressive 944 UL shocks everywhere are out of stock. 
my last ride I had no issues with cramping, I think bringing the bars closer or different bars can help some too  :up:

Pete_Vit

Quote from: jmorton10 on February 05, 2021, 06:03:13 PM
I might be 5'6" on a good day lol.

This is a Corbin seat made for short people, I love it.  That seat along with 12" oehlin shocks & front end lowered 1" with Progressive monotubes works for me.......

~John
:up: I like Corbin , most folks I talk to love their seats

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Appowner on February 06, 2021, 02:01:13 AM
Though not the same model nor the same reasons but I love my Corbin seat.  No thoughts of using anything else.  Love the quick key operated detach feature too.
:up:

Hossamania

I'm running a 1" lowering kit on my "12 Ultra, along with the Sundowner seat. No problems with the lowering kit. It helps me get pretty stable on my footing. (35 psi or more in the rear shocks)
I run a 1" kit on the rear of my '01 RK, along with a 2" lowering kit up front. That one is nice and low, no handling problems, a little less ground clearance.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Hossamania on February 08, 2021, 08:51:17 AM
I'm running a 1" lowering kit on my "12 Ultra, along with the Sundowner seat. No problems with the lowering kit. It helps me get pretty stable on my footing. (35 psi or more in the rear shocks)
I run a 1" kit on the rear of my '01 RK, along with a 2" lowering kit up front. That one is nice and low, no handling problems, a little less ground clearance.
great! thank you Hoss

b0fh

I too run a lowering kit in my 13... it can lower 1" or 2" depending on the hole you use, but I found 2" to be too much for my taste. no issues handling or other in either hole.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: b0fh on February 11, 2021, 11:16:44 AM
I too run a lowering kit in my 13... it can lower 1" or 2" depending on the hole you use, but I found 2" to be too much for my taste. no issues handling or other in either hole.
:up: good to know, I think 1" would help, I can sit flat footed but my fear is on un-level surfaces  :smilep:

Pete_Vit

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on February 05, 2021, 01:54:40 PM

76shuvlinoff, did you have any clearance issues with this kit?

Appowner

February 12, 2021, 05:31:52 AM #28 Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 05:53:31 AM by Appowner
Anyone have any pros or cons with going with the Progressive 442 shocks with the height adjustment?  Thinking going a little lower might help me as well.

Forgot, bike is an 08 FXSTC softail.  No mods to the suspension.

calif phil

Progressive Softail shocks are an improvement over stock.  You should be happy with them. 

jmorton10

I had an 02 Heritage some years ago & I tried the Progressive shocks in that.

They where a little better than the stock shocks, but that's not saying much really.

~John