April 20, 2024, 04:15:04 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Open Primary

Started by WhipLash96, February 07, 2021, 07:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoserx1

QuoteKnew a guy who ran open primary. Got his pants leg caught between belt and pulley. Yanked him off and under bike. Broke left leg every time it hit pavement, ankle, shin, knee, thigh bone. Back tire then hit the nads. He spent 4 months in hospital.  He never did walk right or ride again. I have been running belt in closed primary for close to 40 years.

You know I like to ride but I am not going to take arguably the most dangerous form of transportation and make it even more so.  If you want a belt primary put it in a vented case that will let air in but keep body parts and clothing out.  And I thought a suicide clutch was a foot clutch that had been modified to engage anytime the foot was removed (like a car) instead of staying put like the rocker mechanism was designed to do years ago.  Why, just to make the bike more difficult to ride???

Hossamania

That was my understanding too about the suicide clutch. My friend's '47 Indian clutch will stay put, allowing him to release his foot without engaging the clutch, a nice safety feature. The shifter can also be dropped easily into neutral, like a car, instead of having to ratchet thru the years to get to neutral.
If you want to talk suicide clutch, I think the setup with the clutch handle attached to the jockey shifter is one of the stupidest designs I have ever seen. The foot clutch is tough enough, but now there is no way to keep two hands on the bars, especially in a dicey situation under hard braking or slow turn maneuvering. Brilliant.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.