March 28, 2024, 01:34:52 PM

News:

Kick Stand Extender

Started by Appowner, February 08, 2021, 03:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Appowner

I'm in need of a kick stand extender and was wondering if anyone experienced with them could recommend a particular one?

Seems to be quite a few out there that all work basically the same, clamp to the foot of the stand.

fleetmechanic

February 08, 2021, 06:30:59 AM #1 Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 07:50:33 AM by fleetmechanic
We've used a couple of the ones from HD for short legged riders.  Seem to work fine. Easier to hook with your heel to swing the stand out, but it is a longer reach with your heel to swing the stand back up.

bobrk1

Yeah  I  have  the hd  one  works  fine .

Pete_Vit

Good question Appowner, I have some issues getting the stand up, I've been pushing the bike forward till it comes up some, great to know there's an extender for those if us with short legs  :crook:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Ratfade

There are more than a few out there, but knowing the year and model of the bike is important. I've put them on softails for my wife; they all work pretty well, but some better than others.

Appowner

My bike is an 08 FXSTC Softail Custom.  However the foot pegs have been removed and floor boards installed with the appropriate changes in the foot controls.  No idea which set of boards as my Indy at the time had them as take offs from another bike.  But all the pieces for them are OEM.  That is my Indy didn't have to Fab anything to get them on.

My issue isn't one of altitude though I feel you shorter guys pain.  It's medical resulting from cancer radiation treatments.  They fried my sciatica nerve in my lower back (but I beat the stage 3 Cancer).  Result is I have severe drop foot in both feet.  I can push down with my toes but I can't lift them back up.  As such I have to wear foot/ankle braces to keep from tripping over myself, literally.  These braces hold my feet rigid at a 90* angle more or less.  There is some articulation to my braces but no where enough for me to extend my toe to reach the kick stand.  I can get it with my heel but it's a stretch and often takes more than one attempt. 

So I think what I need is something that extends back a bit and up when the stand is down.  Get it in range of my heel.  Now what that may contact when the stand is up I have no idea?

I have considered getting with my Indy and having him make up something custom, weld it to a new kickstand and then send it off to be re-chromed.  Then install it.  Not inexpensive but.........

It's been a battle.  Six abdominal surgeries in six years.  Four bowel resections.  I've lost some 20% of my large intestine.  At one point when the drop foot started I was wheel chair bound and the neurologists said I'd never leave it.  But a cute blond physical therapist had other ideas.  Ah to be young again!  :) 

I walk now with the braces and a cane.  I can actually walk without both of those but I keep them for safeties sake.  I carry a folding cane on the bike in a custom leather tool bag Fox Creek Leather made for me.  I also carry bathroom supplies as the gut just doesn't work like it did before.  Getting on the bike is easy.  But after an hour of riding I have to grab a pant leg to swing my right leg off the bike.  Must be a sight at the gas station.  Still, it beats sitting in front of the TV waiting to die.

Pete_Vit

:up: got ya Appowner, so sorry to hear  :sad: but I'm glad to hear you are still finding a way to keep riding
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Ratfade

APPOWNER, you are one tough SOB. I know what you mean about needing more back than up. I searched the usual suspects (JP, DK, HD) and didn't find anything that would fit the bill for sure. These things all seem to be extremely model specific.
Given the good work your indy's done so far, asking him to create something might be the best bet.
I wish you really good luck with this (and everything else).

Appowner

Unfortunately I moved away from that Indy 3 years ago.  Got a new one here in Michigan but haven't needed him much.  But I think once the weather changes I'll take a ride out to see him.  Maybe lower the thing a bit as well, get the lowers chromed, etc., etc.  :)