March 28, 2024, 10:45:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Head

Started by Buglet, February 08, 2021, 12:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buglet

Here's a head you don't see every day, off a 900. 

SP33DY

Looks like an XR head to me.

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Buglet

Close but no, it's was call a Thunderhead made in the 70's to bolt onto XL's

sharkoilfield

i had a search on eBay for a long time, never did see any

DA71FX

Wow, I have not seen a set of those since the late 90s...I really regret that I let a pair go back in 99......
93", 71 FX, 93" 56FLH

Burnout

Thunderheads or XR heads are not the holy grail many think.

I've let lots of them pass me by, on purpose. 

Dual plug your stock heads and make sure the piston comes all the way up, then ride it like you stole it!
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

JW113

The guy that did the headwork on my previous ironhead (Ironhead Tom, RIP), was a drag racer in southern Minnesota. Although I did not have him do this to my heads because of the cost involved, on his drag bikes he would weld up the ports to reshape and increase velocity. I don't recall exactly what he was getting in terms of HP, but do I recall it was a lot. Zippers also used to do some magic to get impressive numbers from ironheads. Hey, all it takes is money, right?
:SM:

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Burnout

Anything can be made fast with the correct financial backing.

It doesn't take much to be faster than 95% of the bikes out there. You have to know when to shift too.  :scoot:
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Hossamania

Horsepower is in the heads. If you want to make a small fortune racing, start with a large fortune!

Quote from: Burnout on March 26, 2021, 10:17:04 AM

It doesn't take much to be faster than 95% of the bike riders out there. You have to know when to shift too.  :scoot:

Fixed that for ya...
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

JW113

Quote from: Burnout on March 26, 2021, 10:17:04 AM

OR, with a lot of skill and the right tools. I don't IH Tom spent a lot of money, but he sure spent a lot of time and had an well equipped shop.

-JW

kd

"The only thing faster than cubic inches is cubic dollars ".  (Grumpy Bill Jenkins).  :wink:
KD

JW113

While that is probably true most of the time, has anyone beaten Burt Munro's land speed record? Old Burt had no money, but an awful lot of skill.

-JW