March 28, 2024, 11:06:48 AM

News:

Evapo-Rust

Started by sharkoilfield, February 18, 2021, 11:58:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkoilfield

I want to throughly clean out some light surface rust inside my 1974 XLCH gas tank; I'd like to try soaking with Evapo-Rust. I'm sure a liquid chelator will reach into the pressed seams better than a handful of nuts...anyone try this stuff? Of course, I intend to finish with a Kreem treatment

nibroc

use the hand full of nuts first and then the evapo treatment

ghostrider

I used some on an oil tank with light surface rust inside and it did an amazing job.

JW113

I was lazy. I took a tank to the radiator shop, had them clear out the rust and line with Red Coat. I'm a little leary of Kreem, seen it fail too many times. Maybe the changed the formula for oxygenated gas though.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Appowner

Quote from: ghostrider on February 20, 2021, 05:11:37 AM
I used some on an oil tank with light surface rust inside and it did an amazing job.

What was the time frame from rust to not?

I have spoke wheels and of course there's always light rust trying to get started.  I was thinking of getting the Gel version and brush it on then hose it off followed by some form of protection.

fbn ent

Quote from: JW113 on February 24, 2021, 06:18:56 PM
I was lazy. I took a tank to the radiator shop, had them clear out the rust and line with Red Coat. I'm a little leary of Kreem, seen it fail too many times. Maybe the changed the formula for oxygenated gas though.

-JW

X2 on that ^^^^^^^ When Kreem fails, it is a REAL mess !!
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

ghostrider

Quote from: Appowner on February 27, 2021, 07:08:05 AM
Quote from: ghostrider on February 20, 2021, 05:11:37 AM

What was the time frame from rust to not?

I have spoke wheels and of course there's always light rust trying to get started.  I was thinking of getting the Gel version and brush it on then hose it off followed by some form of protection.

I left it overnight, but I think a few hours would have been enough. Its expensive but well worth it. 

On the gas tank sealer thing,   Caswell makes a great product that is easy to apply yourself.

sharkoilfield

Well; got the Evapo-rust, but now I need a tank liner solution in hand BEFORE I do the rust removal. I know a couple of local bike restoration experts; will have to canvass them in the next day or so...want this all wrapped up before spring arrives way up here...

fbn ent

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

ghostrider

This is where i get the Caswell tank sealer,   https://emeraldcoatings.com/gas-tank-sealer-kits-canada/

I havnt used evaporust on painted areas, but i think they say its safe.

sharkoilfield

Thanks for the link; a Canadian source is better for me too. I met with my restoration expert and he's using Caswell now to, in lieu of Kreem