April 25, 2024, 08:33:52 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Zilla gaskets

Started by FLDavetrain, February 10, 2021, 11:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLDavetrain

First install used the supplied thick flat fiber gaskets. Ordered couple more sets, specified touring boarzilla and they sent the stainless rib thin gaskets. Called to verify and was told stainless were the better type for this pipe. Anyone use these and what's the opinion on the sealing?
currently 510ci on tap

les

I'm on my third zilla exhaust and have used that single rib gasket at all times, and without leaks.  I like them better than the steal wool gaskets because those will squish out into the port if over tightened.

Ohio HD

Les, I use the Cometic C9247 on the D&D pipes. 0.240" thick, will not squish into the port.

FLDavetrain

Quote from: les on February 10, 2021, 11:48:27 AM
I'm on my third zilla exhaust and have used that single rib gasket at all times, and without leaks.  I like them better than the steal wool gaskets because those will squish out into the port if over tightened.

Thanks I was thinking same thing. I've never had a fiber one look bad (blocking) port yet but I'll try these stainless single rib ones. Seems like it'll snug the pipe closer to the side covers a bit being it's thinner. The dandd guy said the M8 pipes use these too. Years ago on a rb pipe I tried their metal gaskets and it was a pita
currently 510ci on tap

Don D

Is your pipe flat or angle flanged?

FLDavetrain

It's flat Don. It's the right one just curious about seal quality mostly
currently 510ci on tap

les

Quote from: Ohio HD on February 10, 2021, 11:53:02 AM
Les, I use the Cometic C9247 on the D&D pipes. 0.240" thick, will not squish into the port.

Thanks, Ohio.  I'll get a set and keep them in my parts box for when I R&R the pipe lots of times.  I recall the Cometic are a tighter firmer weave.

Ohio HD

Quote from: les on February 11, 2021, 06:27:58 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on February 10, 2021, 11:53:02 AM

Thanks, Ohio.  I'll get a set and keep them in my parts box for when I R&R the pipe lots of times.  I recall the Cometic are a tighter firmer weave.

That's correct, they hold up well, and seat the pipe well.

Durwood

Quote from: FLDavetrain on February 10, 2021, 11:17:53 AM

First install used the supplied thick flat fiber gaskets. Ordered couple more sets, specified touring boarzilla and they sent the stainless rib thin gaskets. Called to verify and was told stainless were the better type for this pipe. Anyone use these and what's the opinion on the sealing?
The stainless gaskets work well.

FLDavetrain

Quote from: Durwood on February 11, 2021, 08:56:52 AM
Quote from: FLDavetrain on February 10, 2021, 11:17:53 AM

The stainless gaskets work well.

Thanks Darren. They're going in so will see
currently 510ci on tap