April 19, 2024, 08:14:32 AM

News:

Twin Scan 4.... question..

Started by hattitude, February 14, 2021, 11:25:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hattitude

I recently bought a Twin Scan 4 for my tool chest... It's a nice tool...

I bought it primarily for my 2016 Ultra Classic for ABS flushing & to some of the BCM operations. I hooked it up, checked everything out, and it seems to be working properly.

I successfully added a spare key FOB to my BCM, and everything went as per the directions. I now have a spare key fob for my bike...

I checked codes, it communicated with the bike and showed no codes..

Just for the hell of it, I decided to change it so the spot lamps stay lit, when I switch to high beams...

Per the instructions it is a rather straight forward procedure...

Go to "active modules" screen, check the status of the current BCM settings, and then make the change..

Per instructions, if current setting is:

"Fog Light Not Installed", the fog lights will turn off when high beams are on.

"Fog Light Installed", the fog lights act independently from the high beams.

I tried it three times, with fog lights on, and fog lights off... all three times it showed "command sent", but when I checked it, the fog lights still turn off with the high beams..

I also noticed, that all the other modules had one of the available choices checked as the default setting. For some reason, the default setting for fog lights shows neither choice selected...???

Anyone have any experience with doing this change with a Twin Scan 4

It's not a critical need, but I'll probably call Daytona Twin Tec this week to see what they say... 

In the mean time, I was hoping someone had done this before and might know if it's operator error, a non available function for my bike, or possibly some other "issue" I am totally unaware of..

Thanks for any insight....

PS- don't buy a Twin Scan kit from Direct Cycle Parts, they are absolutely clueless about that product and have some of the worst customer service I have ever dealt with on a product issue. I ended up returning their mismatched kit, and buying a proper kit from Parts Giant... but that's a story for another time....

Buglet

There a good unit, but I heard they are still working some bugs out of it. I'am waiting until they get more units out there before I get one. The plus is DTT has excellent customer service.

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: Buglet on February 14, 2021, 01:07:59 PM
    There a good unit, but I heard they are still working some bugs out of it. I'am waiting until they get more units out there before I get one. The plus is DTT has excellent customer service.

More units out there?  I've had mine for years  :scratch:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

markymark

I bought mine about 3 years ago. Great unit, but I think they have had enough time  to work out the bugs.

Buglet

As for as I know thought Twin Scan 4 just came out in the last year, I guess I was wrong being you guys had them for years now. Sorry about the misinformation. 

Rockout Rocker Products

I'll say this....

When I bought mine one of the menus was "Audio Features", said coming soon. After a few years I wrote to them, coming soon. It's a great tool but I wouldn't buy it hoping to one day do audio flashes... number of amps, speakers, etc.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

cheech

Dejavu
About this very issue in that thread.

hattitude

Quote from: cheech on February 15, 2021, 08:51:42 AM
Dejavu
About this very issue in that thread.

Thanks for that link... somehow I missed that one when I searched... or my search wording was lame and didn't bring it up...

I have a busy week, but I will try to call the manufacturer to see what they say...

hattitude

I sent Daytona Twin Tec support an email, inquiring about why my Twin Scan 4 would not change the BCM setting for my fog lights. I got this response:

"The fog light function is just a a test. It should turn on the fog
lights for ~30 seconds then they will automatically turn back off. It
will not permanently write anything to the BCM for this.

--
David - Tech Support
Daytona Twin Tec
Daytona Sensors
386-304-0700
JMS Performance Group"

I thanked him for the clarification. I mentioned that he should change the Instructions on page 11 because they directly conflict with what he says, and people are confused by them.  I copied and pasted this in my response:

"BCM ENABLE/DISABLE SETTINGS

The body control module (BCM) settings can be changed using this menu. Read existing settings before making any changes. Ignition Switch Enabled: The ignition key switch is active. Ignition Switch Disabled: The ignition key switch is deactivated, the run/stop switch becomes the main switch. Fog Light Installed: Fog light operation will become independent of the high beams. Fog Light Not Installed: Fog light will turn of when high beam is on. Trike - BAS Enabled: Enable to Bank Angle Sensor for Trike installations. Trike - BAS Disabled: Disable the Bank Angle Sensor to remove the BAS input diagnostic code. Service State Enabled is a one-time activation and allows the bike to be moved without tripping the alarm/security. When the key is turned back on, security will automatically be re- enabled. The following settings are for new installs: Radio Installed: Tells the BCM a radio has been installed Radio Not Installed: A radio has not been installed ABS Installed: Tells the BCM the ABS system is installed ABS Not Installed: The ABS system has not been installed."

He responded within 15 minutes and gave me this response:

"D-TTS-Tech Support <d-tts-tech@d-tts.com>

Wed, Feb 17 at 7:44 AM

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Someone in the instructions department got a little ahead of themselves I guess. I have removed that section until we have an update to accomplish these tasks.

--
David - Tech Support
Daytona Twin Tec
Daytona Sensors
386-304-0700
JMS Performance Group"

So there you have it.... as of today, anyways, you are unable to change the BCM setting for the fog lights... 

Of course his response said "tasks"... I wonder if all BCM changes are void, or just the fog light BCM change....?? On my bike, all the other settings showed a selection when I checked for the bikes' default settings, only my "fog lights" showed no current selection... Whatever that means...   Luckily I'm not interested in the other changes....

Heaven only knows when/if the foglight selection function will be added...

ultrafxr

Interesting.  For the $$ you pay for the Twin Scan 4 it should work for that.  I'm no electronics expert but I simply do not see how it could be difficult.  Good luck.

Buglet

I guess I've hold out a little longer as it seams like they are still working on it.