April 23, 2024, 04:57:30 AM

News:

CV40 jet sizes

Started by 1340evo, February 18, 2021, 10:23:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW113

Well of course I don't see it quite that way. (surprise!) Yes, the MiK is "more" tunable. It all boils down to what do you want from the motorcycle. I personally love the CV carb, and yes they are not as tunable but they are tunable enough to provide both power and economy. I think you are still worrying about the instantaneous AFR, when in the grand scheme, it doesn't really matter. Also, you will always be fighting the time delay of that airflow driven slider witch is doing the fuel metering. I also think you are wrong about being in the danger zone, you should have done a baseline on the factory stock jetting and AFR, I think it would have scared the crap out of you. And yet, bikes with that jetting have gone for hundreds of thousands of miles with no issues. Other than lack of power, that is. Lean jetting simply means the bike is consuming all the fuel and pumping out excess air. That is fine for fuel mileage, but it is not fine at WOT for power. That is the whole point of tuning with and AFR. The EPA does not want the OEMs to tune for best power, that creates excessive carbon emissions. Some of us horrible bastards flip the finger at that and break the rules. Just like speeding, among other things.
 :SM:

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hossamania

1340, glad to hear it's running well, how is the gas mileage?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

1340evo

I'm not saying the Cv is a problem, its a very good carb as we know and the fact millions are out there and bikes are running great is a testiment to that.
Is more what you can see with the AFR meter.. as we know, remove the air fulter and rev the bike up and down and you see the slide bounce about in responce. Its this you see on the AFR and until you get used to this, it is a bit confusing.
The thing that did strike me was the way it goes lean going up the slighlest of inclines and how much richer it is coming the other way. Unless you test on a dead flat road you see all kinds of results. what we all must do without realising is just twist the throttle a tad to compensate but once you've been riding for 40 plus years like I have, you have no idea you are doing it?
I'm sure there are bikes out there as you say, running up to 20 on the top end, but they survive and the only thing you'll see is an unwillingness to pull.

On the MPG I've no idea as its still not gone onto reserve which is good. When I was testing I could have it go on reserv the same night I filled it up but just normal running even now id say at least 45 and climbing...

kd

Quote from: 1340evo on August 18, 2022, 10:28:05 AMI'm not saying the Cv is a problem, its a very good carb as we know and the fact millions are out there and bikes are running great is a testiment to that.
Is more what you can see with the AFR meter.. as we know, remove the air fulter and rev the bike up and down and you see the slide bounce about in responce. Its this you see on the AFR and until you get used to this, it is a bit confusing.
The thing that did strike me was the way it goes lean going up the slighlest of inclines and how much richer it is coming the other way. Unless you test on a dead flat road you see all kinds of results. what we all must do without realising is just twist the throttle a tad to compensate but once you've been riding for 40 plus years like I have, you have no idea you are doing it?
I'm sure there are bikes out there as you say, running up to 20 on the top end, but they survive and the only thing you'll see is an unwillingness to pull.

On the MPG I've no idea as its still not gone onto reserve which is good. When I was testing I could have it go on reserv the same night I filled it up but just normal running even now id say at least 45 and climbing...

Because you are experimenting with the AFR gauge, here's something you may find interesting.  Before you fill the tank again, with a low fuel level around reserve(ish), warm it up and do a top end run that is long enough to eat some fuel.  Take note of the mixture reading as the run gets longer.  When you refill the tank and have a full load of fuel on board, warm it up and do a similar run again noting the AFR.  Let us know what you find.

KD

JW113

No doubt that an AFR is providing more information sometimes than you probably need to see. LOL! Again, like a broken record, get the steady state stuff tuned, and ignore the rest. It don't have to be "perfect" all the time at every throttle position and load, like EFI tries to do. That CV will take care it everything just fine if WOT and steady cruise are close. And no, 20:1 is past the point of viable combustion. But my shovel was reading 16:1 or more at WOT and was "running". No power for sure, and amazed the bee-jezus out of me after I got it into the 12's. Doh!

Knowledge is power. Too much knowledge is, uh... too much knowledge.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

1340evo

Quote from: kd on August 18, 2022, 06:35:50 PM
Quote from: 1340evo on August 18, 2022, 10:28:05 AMI'm not saying the Cv is a problem, its a very good carb as we know and the fact millions are out there and bikes are running great is a testiment to that.

Because you are experimenting with the AFR gauge, here's something you may find interesting.  Before you fill the tank again, with a low fuel level around reserve(ish), warm it up and do a top end run that is long enough to eat some fuel.  Take note of the mixture reading as the run gets longer.  When you refill the tank and have a full load of fuel on board, warm it up and do a similar run again noting the AFR.  Let us know what you find.

Yes, I've already seen that when the tank is full it runs a bit richer.
I put a small tube under the head of my 200 main to make it the same head hight as the 180 jet I have as I thought it may be introducing bubbles at WOT on the top end.. Im not sure if it changed anything but the brass tube is still in there.
I have it the tank near empty and did run the fuel just to see if the flow was good and it is.. I'm sure it will keep up but for sure, the float level will drop...

1340evo

Quote from: JW113 on August 19, 2022, 01:53:00 PMNo doubt that an AFR is providing more information sometimes than you probably need to see. LOL! Again, like a broken record, get the steady state stuff tuned, and ignore the rest. It don't have to be "perfect" all the time at every throttle position and load, like EFI tries to do. That CV will take care it everything just fine if WOT and steady cruise are close. And no, 20:1 is past the point of viable combustion. But my shovel was reading 16:1 or more at WOT and was "running". No power for sure, and amazed the bee-jezus out of me after I got it into the 12's. Doh!

Knowledge is power. Too much knowledge is, uh... too much knowledge.

-JW

Too much info is correct.. I'm good with it now, no pops, bangs, farts or anything so need to see what MPG I'm getting.
So will have a play with the timing next.. Which way to go with the back plate to see if I get ping, then back it off a bit ;)