Cured a fuel leak - Cause wasn't what I expected it to be

Started by Molly, February 19, 2021, 11:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molly

Recently bought a 2004 Electraglide. On the first fuel-up it immediately started leaking petrol out from under the centre console. I expected it to be the gasket under the canopy so spent $77 on a new one and ten torx screws with seals (they're not reusable). It didn't fix the leak.

Discovered that the console overflow hose was wrongly routed and was putting pressure on the fuel level sender and this was the reason for the leak. Frustrating thing was that when I removed the console to investigate, the leak stopped...

Just posting this in case it helps someone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiSNmaijpFs

calif phil

Pirsch Fire Wagon

I replace those when I pull the Tanks off on older models. Had a 97 that literally disintegrated everywhere I touched,
Tom

koko3052

"Recently bought a 2004 Electraglide. On the first fuel-up it immediately started leaking petrol out from under the centre console. I expected it to be the gasket under the canopy so spent $77 on a new one and ten torx screws with seals (they're not reusable). It didn't fix the leak."

I'll have to disagree with the torx screws & seals....have reused many times over. :up:
I don't believe everything that I read. :wink:

Molly

Quote from: koko3052 on February 24, 2021, 12:55:51 PM

I'll have to disagree with the torx screws & seals....have reused many times over. :up:
I don't believe everything that I read. :wink:

I'm not averse to reusing gaskets when I can get away with it but since it was a petrol leak I didn't think it was worth taking a chance. Anyway, all sorted now and no fires to put out. :-)