April 15, 2024, 08:57:03 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Fork stem thread size question

Started by Justpassingas, February 22, 2021, 12:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justpassingas

I have a 69FL that I'm finally putting back on the road. Front end is currently off so I can repack the bearings and the threads on the triple tree fork stem are buggered up a little bit so I'd like to run a die over them. My research says its a 1"-24 thread. Can anyone confirm this before I order a die...thanx
For Duty and Humanity

capn

If you dont get an answer try measuring 1 inch and count how many threads in that inch.But to me 1/24 sounds right.

kd

I don't know the answer but if it was me I would use a thread gauge the check it. They are common and included in most tap and die sets. If I could lay my hands on another stem nut, a few equally spaced 3 corner file grooves full depth of the thread will make a great thread chaser.  A new die will tend to remove material that may just need reforming.  Probably cheaper too and you won't have a die laying around that likely won't be used again.  YMMV
KD

Breeze

A thread pitch gauge is a good addition to a tool box. They start at less than $10.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Justpassingas

Thanx guys....Thread gauge was my first thought, unfortunately I don't have one but I do have a ton of taps and tried using a 24 & 28 to check the threads. I've used files in the past but would prefer running a die over them but before I do I think I'll just go buy a thread gauge. I tried using a scale and count the treads but its not that easy with a fine thread and these old eyes.  :emoGroan:
For Duty and Humanity

kd

Just to be clear, I wasn't recommencing you file the thread on the post.  I meant for you to access another nut, used or otherwise, and file across the threads in the fashion of a thread chaser in effect making your own.  Using a die will remove material technically reducing the original rather than reforming it. This is sometimes not advisable because it weakens the clamping strength.
KD

Justpassingas

I bought a thread gauge just to be sure and I can confirm it is in fact a 1"-24 thread. I also bought an adjustable die and will back it off so it takes minimal amount of stock off, just enough to clean the threads up so the nut goes on freely.
For Duty and Humanity

kd

If it's adjustable, can you wind it on past the damage loose, snug it down a bit and run it off in reverse with less risk of cutting the threads? Repeat if necessary.  Just a thought.
KD