April 18, 2024, 11:30:01 PM

News:

oil lines

Started by david lee, February 23, 2021, 01:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david lee

i read somewhere on a forum that oil lines should be changed every 5 yrs. i can understand if there cracked but why else. also should the oil be changed when hot and how do you get the old oil out of the crankcase.i remember a guy doing it by draining the oil tank then starting it up with no drain plug until no more oil came out.thanks all

Hossamania

Changing oil when it is warm is better than cold, but the key is to change it, just let it drain longer when cold.
Don't worry about the oil on the crankcase, it will not cause problems, but there are scavenging systems that will remove it if you feel you must.
Can't help with oil lines, never had a problem, my brother's are 25 years old and working fine. Mine are only 20.
Search oil changes on this site, 250 threads, maybe more.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

And for the record, I'm not a fan of running a motor with no oil in the pan.

Tynker

Quote from: Hossamania on February 23, 2021, 05:00:46 PM
Changing oil when it is warm is better than cold, but the key is to change it, just let it drain longer when cold.
Don't worry about the oil on the crankcase, it will not cause problems, but there are scavenging systems that will remove it if you feel you must.
Can't help with oil lines, never had a problem, my brother's are 25 years old and working fine. Mine are only 20.

After you drain the oil, ad 1 qt. of new oil run motor for a few minutes, and drain again. Thei will get most of the old oil out.
Earl "Tynker" Riviere

kd

Quote from: Tynker on February 23, 2021, 05:45:18 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on February 23, 2021, 05:00:46 PM

I had a buddy show me his oil at 5,000 miles using the scavenger system.  :dgust: I now use it too. It draws out of a liter jug until it runs clear out of the oil pan drain.  At 5,000 miles it is still only tea color and not black.  For a long time you can't see it on the stick it's so clean.  It takes almost 1 qt.  That's +25% of the dirty oil still in the engine, oil lines and cooler. It's worth it to me because I can run it longer. Especially if on a trip.
KD

76shuvlinoff

Drain the oil. fill the tank back up, disconnect the return line and extend it into your jug or bucket. Start the motor and run a quart or so out keeping an eye on it. It should be coming back pretty clean by then. Kill the motor, reconnect the return line, refill the tank.

As far as the lines... the last time I replaced them was in in 04. I used transmission line ( 3/8"?) from NAPA. It's tough stuff. I haven't really thought about replacing them since.

For a while I ran the oil through my crash bar as a cooler, it added approx 3/4 quart to the system. I was really careful about trying to get it cleaned out before I did that but eventually I removed the crash bar. It definitely worked as a cooler but my 76 doesn't run very hot anyhow.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

JW113

Bingo Mark, transmission cooler hoses. "Regular" neoprene or rubber hose is not rated for high temp. Will it work? Probably yes, but why use something that it is not rated for when it's just as easy to get something that is?

Oil... methinks you guys are way over thinking this. Get motor hot; drain oil; refill. Boom! Done! As long as you're not putting 15,000 miles on the oil between changes, what little oil left in the sump ain't gonna hurt nothing. It's not exactly 'dirty', the oil filter takes care of that.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on February 24, 2021, 06:15:25 PM
Bingo Mark, transmission cooler hoses. "Regular" neoprene or rubber hose is not rated for high temp. Will it work? Probably yes, but why use something that it is not rated for when it's just as easy to get something that is?

Oil... methinks you guys are way over thinking this. Get motor hot; drain oil; refill. Boom! Done! As long as you're not putting 15,000 miles on the oil between changes, what little oil left in the sump ain't gonna hurt nothing. It's not exactly 'dirty', the oil filter takes care of that.

-JW
its gotta be 4-5 yrs since ive changed the oil but would not have done 500 klms

PoorUB

I have never understood why the oil that was perfectly good the day before HAS to be removed completely today. If the oil was so bad, why were out for a ride yesterday? :idunno:

I run synthetic and 5,000 mile changes, maybe more.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

76shuvlinoff

-JW

As for myself, I quit doing the extra quart oil change more than a few changes ago. I took my factory oil cooler off when I went full synthetic.  The dip stick thermometer might show 205-210F on the very hottest of days, Michigan.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Hossamania

Quote from: david lee on February 24, 2021, 09:27:26 PM

-JW

It's probably due for a change, a warm engine oil change on that one.

motorhogman

Quote from: david lee on February 24, 2021, 09:27:26 PM

-JW

4 to 5 years ?  I'd be adding a couple of ounces of sea foam to the oil, running it until completely warm and drain it.  The acid levels are probably through the roof after all that time..
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Dan89flstc

April 20, 2021, 03:19:06 PM #12 Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 03:25:51 PM by Dan89flstc
Quote from: motorhogman on February 25, 2021, 07:12:58 AM

4 to 5 years ?  I'd be adding a couple of ounces of sea foam to the oil, running it until completely warm and drain it.  The acid levels are probably through the roof after all that time..

The acid forms when the engine runs, not from sitting without running.

Even better than seafoam (which is just light oil and naptha), just give the bike a tankfull of fresh motor oil.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic