March 28, 2024, 01:06:01 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

97" build specs and check list

Started by Adam76, February 23, 2021, 09:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deye76

Stock pump if in good shape, too. I ran a stock pump in a 130hp 113" for a lot of miles.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Adam76

Quote from: Deye76 on March 02, 2021, 06:28:03 AM
Stock pump if in good shape, too. I ran a stock pump in a 130hp 113" for a lot of miles.

Thanks,  I'll check it for wear / scoring marks. 👍

Quote from: Adam76 on March 02, 2021, 06:31:17 AM
Quote from: Deye76 on March 02, 2021, 06:28:03 AM

Thanks,  I'll check it for wear / scoring marks. 👍

Daytona Pumps are a real good replacement too 👍.

Adam76

April 03, 2021, 10:31:11 PM #53 Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 06:27:02 AM by Adam76
Finally got started on the build 😁  drained the oil and it would have to be the blackest oil I've ever seen, even blacker than my black Labrador.  But surprisingly the cam chest doesn't look too bad.

Still waiting on my tensioner removal tool to arrive before I can go any further.

But without removing them yet - the tensioners and pads don't look too worn or about to disintegrate? Bikes done around 30K miles supposedly (just had to replace the Speedo sensor to get Speedo working again) so I had feared the worst.

Nothing exciting, but now the fun begins.

Plans have also changed a bit with picking up a new set of CR575 early style chain drive cams pretty cheap. Will now be Looking at a set of Wiseco tracker small dome 95" pistons instead of the KBs to keep the compression at 10-1 and ccp 195 with the 575 cams.

Wishing you all a happy Easter and commemorating resurrection day. 🙏

Adam76

Quote from: Adam76 on April 03, 2021, 10:31:11 PM
Finally got started on the build 😁  drained the oil and it would have to be the blackest oil I've ever seen, even blacker than my black Labrador.  But surprisingly the cam chest doesn't look too bad.

Still waiting on my tensioner removal tool to arrive before I can go any further.

But without removing them yet - the tensioners and pads don't look too worn or about to disintegrate? Bikes done around 30K US miles supposedly -  I had to replace the Speedo sensor on top of the transmission to get Speedo working again...so not knowing the true mileage  I had feared the worst.

Nothing exciting so far, but now the fun begins.

Plans have also changed a bit with picking up a new set of CR575 early style chain drive cams pretty cheap. Will now be Looking at a set of Wiseco tracker small dome 95" pistons instead of the KBs to keep the compression at 10-1 and ccp 195 with the 575 cams.

Wishing you all a happy Easter and commemorating resurrection day. 🙏

03rg

Tensioner removal tool? Last time I did this pretty sure a small channel lock and an finish nail (4d?) to hold the tensioner in place away from the chain was all that was needed.

Adam76

Quote from: 03rg on April 04, 2021, 06:52:51 AM
Tensioner removal tool? Last time I did this pretty sure a small channel lock and an finish nail (4d?) to hold the tensioner in place away from the chain was all that was needed.

Yeah, probably. 😁
This is what I got cheap off eBay.

Adam76

April 16, 2021, 01:03:45 AM #57 Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 01:08:51 AM by Adam76
Hi guys,

So far with my 95" pistons, '09 model heads and and CR575 cams I'm "calculated at" dynamic compression ratio of 9.35 and ccp 195... (** probably slightly less in reality I'm guessing.)

Borderline needing manual comp releases? I have a new starter clutch going in and new Terry Components battery cables.

It's going to cost me another AUS $350 just to add the compression releases.

Do I need them? Or can I get away without them? I didnt budget this much just for manual releases but I obviously don't want to save a penny just to have to spend a dollar by having to then replace a starter motor so would appreciate your advice on this part.

Thanks.

FSG

if $$ are getting tight just fit a CR to the front head 

Adam76

Quote from: FSG on April 16, 2021, 01:52:42 AM
if $$ are getting tight just fit a CR to the front head

Thanks FSG.  That would halve the cost and help the budget.

Cheers

FSG

if the heads are off you could also just have the rear head machined for a CR and then just plug it

Adam76

Quote from: FSG on April 16, 2021, 02:01:12 AM
if the heads are off you could also just have the rear head machined for a CR and then just plug it

Yes, heads are off. 
Believe it or not the machining of the heads to fit the releases are the most expensive part. $120 per side to drill and tap.
The releases I can get for around $60 each.

FSG

Adam76

Quote from: FSG on April 16, 2021, 02:36:48 AM
just the front then .......   :SM:

Thanks, I'm curious to know why / how it works doing the front only?
Appreciate it. 👍