March 28, 2024, 05:42:44 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

LED Passing Lamps

Started by smoserx1, February 24, 2021, 10:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoserx1

I bought a set of Harley branded passing lamps way back when they first came out and noticed that just recently one of them has become severely fogged.  The light still works, but I don't know what caused this...It does not appear to be water condensation, and it apparently just recently happened.  Anybody got a clue?  I see a replacement H-D set is $399 and I am not paying that.  There are ones on Amazon for a tenth as much.  Anybody with an opinion on the cheap ones available today?

[attach=0]

Pete_Vit

I see my new 2010 Ultra the same thing, I got one's from Eaglelights.com for my springer, I'll replace my bad ones with theirs soon  :up:

https://www.eaglelights.com/ 
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Hossamania

Can they be disassembled and cleaned? I'm assuming not?
I have cleaned my halogen lights, but the bulbs are removable, replaceable.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

smoserx1

February 24, 2021, 01:19:37 PM #3 Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 01:31:37 PM by smoserx1
QuoteCan they be disassembled and cleaned? I'm assuming not?

Hoss I don't know if they can be taken apart or not.  Sunday I pulled the forks out and replaced the seals and bushings, and that is when I noticed this.  I keep my bike inside an attached heated garage, so it doesn't get much in the way of moisture (the humidity out there right now is less than 30%).  Anyway this fogging looks almost like a white powder on the inside and I was wondering if something electrical inside the light vaporized.  I know LEDs have some electronic circuitry besides the actual light chips, but the light is still functioning.  I will probably take it out after dark to see if the lighting on the roadway has diminished, and if not I may just live with it.  It looks like crap in the daytime, but this bike is now 22 years old and far from cosmetically perfect anymore...lots of scratches and faded paint.

Hossamania

You will notice some degradation of quality in the light due to the fogging. Mine had some fogging, a common problem, I was able to pull the bulbs and clean the lenses, both the passing lamps and the headlight on two bikes. It made a difference.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Bladesmith

I have Amber sealed beams for my driving lights..not as bright as LED's at night but are more noticeable by cars during the day.
If my thought dreams could be seen they'd  put my head in a guillotine.. Dylan