April 28, 2024, 08:28:27 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Clutch lever and ECM

Started by crowgo, February 18, 2021, 08:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crowgo

:scratch: Don't know if this should be here or in the M8 forum.  2020 FLTRK, 114, Stage 1, otherwise stock.  All of a sudden I've been having problems on the first start of the day.  I'm expecting a lecture here, but a habit I have is pulling the clutch lever whenever I start the engine, whether I'm in neutral or in gear.  All of a sudden, pretty much every first start of the day if I pull the clutch, the engine will stall on the compression turnover and sometimes will backfire.  I'm trying to break this habit.  I was told by an individual that pulling the clutch while starting, triggers a safety microswitch in the clutch perch and causes the ECM to change the ignition timing. Anyone heard of this?

THX,
20FLTRK,15FLHTKL,05FXSTSI,02FLHTCUI
12000MI 37000MI  76000 MI   184000MI

Coyote

Doesn't matter if you pull the clutch or not but you should always be in neutral when starting.

crowgo

Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda.  Sometimes it just doesn't happen. Sorry.  Like i said, habit (bad or not), after riding for 55 years habits are hard to break.
20FLTRK,15FLHTKL,05FXSTSI,02FLHTCUI
12000MI 37000MI  76000 MI   184000MI

Hossamania

I always pull my clutch when starting as well, in neutral.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Karl H.

Quote from: crowgo on February 18, 2021, 08:19:35 PM
... I was told by an individual that pulling the clutch while starting, triggers a safety microswitch in the clutch perch and causes the ECM to change the ignition timing. Anyone heard of this?...
That makes no sense. Twin Cams definitely don't do that. Why should the M8?
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15

PoorUB

I doubt there is any difference in ignition timing. One thing that might make a difference is less mass spinning, half the clutch and the main shaft is probably spinning free and doesn't help keep momentum rolling along to spin the engine over.

Either that or I am FOS!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

calif phil

I pull the clutch in on every bike I push the starter button on.  I have not noticed an issue with M8 bikes. 

cheech

I'm with others as far as doubting the timing is different with clutch pulled in.

I know you have a 2020, but on my 2015, first start of the day, if I have it in gear and just pull the clutch in, the drag of the wet clutch plates causes it to spin noticeably slower than if it's in neutral.
Amsoil MCV 20W-50 in primary.

And safety be damned, I admit, once it's warm I start it in gear, clutch pulled to eliminate having to put it in gear once they're spinning and the 1st gear clunk.

Hossamania

A combination of the cold oil and possibly a low battery could be causing stall on first startup of the day.
Have you tried starting it in neutral out of gear at first startup? If so, does it start normally? Have you done it enough times to see a pattern between the two starting methods?
Do you use a tender or battery maintainer when the bike sits overnight?
The stall and backfire lead to a thought of weak battery. Check the voltage before first start, (if a charger is used, wait 5 to 10 minutes after removal to check, maybe even turning ignition on for a few seconds, then off to "settle" the battery and eliminate false readings) and during the starting sequence.

kd

I would first inspect the battery connections (on both ends) by removing them one at a time noting if they are tight and look for visual indications of poor contact,  Then clean them to a new shine on the contact surfaces (including the battery and other terminals).  Do the test on the battery and confirm it is in fact OK. Following that if it passes, follow the test in each method as suggested above and look for a pattern. 

Do you shut it off with the kill switch? If so do you let it idle down first?  It may be a product of the tune in the start range that remembers the shut down trim and the restart tune is off. That is a known issue previously discussed here. 
KD

FXDBI

I have a 2006 FXDBI  there is no neutral switch safety.  They must have told a guy 10 times when I picked it up that IT WILL START IN GEAR!   I have seen it a few times guy reaches over hits the button to start on the stand and its in gear, never seen one start just lunge forward and off the stand.  I doubt very much and would bet money pulling the lever in makes any changes in the ECM sounds like internet BS to me. There is no where in any tuner to adjust anything for a clutch lever in position also sounds pretty high tech for a Harley or any other motorcycle.   Bob

motorhogman

Quote from: Hossamania on February 18, 2021, 08:39:07 PM
I always pull my clutch when starting as well, in neutral.

Yep- Hoss.. Every time here to,  When I couldn't hardly reach the clutch pedal in dad's old Pontiac he always said Never start a standard trans car without the clutch depressed. That was a very lonnnnng time ago.  Still practice it to this day on any standard trans.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Rodman

pulling the clutch when starting is a GOOD habit....don't fix what isn't broke!

smoserx1

Ohio HD

I kickstarted a long time before I had an electric wiz bang starter. So I was always used to making sure the bike was in neutral. That carried over to today. I'm in neutral and start the bike.

FSG

YPD485

I always pull the clutch lever in when starting. Since I always park the bike in gear, I always start it (except for the first cold start of day) without bothering to put it in neutral first.
Been using this method for almost 40 years and the bikes always run great.

chaos901

I remember years ago, reading it here, folks were discussing starting in gear using the clutch as opposed to in neutral. 

Somebody pointed out that it makes the starter work harder in gear using the clutch as opposed to in neutral.  to illustrate their point, they brought up the example of pushing the bike around the garage floor.  It is much easier to move the bike in neutral than it is in gear using the clutch. 

Granted, I will on occasion start with it in gear, but I try to get to neutral most of the time.  Just different strokes. 
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

bump

I always start in neutral because my hands aren't large enough to have a good grip on bar and reach button easily. I push starter button with left hand and right on throttle. Been doing it that way for years and too old to change now.

Hossamania

Interestingly, I never have my hand on the throttle when starting. Carbed bike, choke, button, no throttle. Efi bike, button, no throttle.