May 06, 2024, 07:22:54 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

LED headlight projection

Started by BigT, March 07, 2021, 03:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigT

March 07, 2021, 03:31:43 PM Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 04:04:25 PM by BigT
I bought myself a Custom Dynamic ProBeam LED headlight for Christmas and can't get over the rectangle of light you see on high beam. Is this normal for other manufacturers?            The rectangle is the same size as the picture at 25' and slow gets bigger with distance but never really disappears.

smoserx1

March 08, 2021, 06:04:46 PM #1 Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 06:19:03 PM by smoserx1
Well since nobody's responded I'll try.  My LED headlight sucks.  It is an old Kuryakyn/Truck-lite phase 6 and throws out a narrow round beam with very poor peripheral lighting.  I almost consider it dangerous.  Fortunately I have the Harley branded passing lamps and these make good peripheral lighting although one of the passing lamps has recently fogged internally.  Anyway, other than the rectangle, how is the lighting?  Can you see good with it, not only straight ahead but does it light up the curbs and ditches well?  If it does count your blessings, if not get something else.  There is nothing worse than not being able to see.

BigT

It's still winter here in Connecticut so no night riding yet. I don't have passing lamps so the high beam projected rectangle really stands out. I find it strange that I haven't read one subject on this. $500 I was expecting better....

Fugawee

I can't help You with an answer, or suggestion to Your lighting issue...but for $500.00, I would be expecting something better as well.

smoserx1

Well your post got me interested so tonight I rolled mine out in the driveway about 25 feet (I used to have a paint mark but it is gone)  and I also have a rectangle on low beam!  On high beam it is less pronounced.  I had told you earlier it was round but I was mistaken.  Anyway you need to ride it at night to really make an informed evaluation.  Can your bike be retrofitted with passing lamps?  They make a big improvement for me.  I wired mine to the ACC circuit.  That way not only do they stay on irrespective of beam selection but also if my headlight fuse were to blow the passing lamps would/should continue to operate.  I never used the ACC circuit for anything else anyway.

Ratfade

Couple of points. First, I think not great peripheral lighting just goes with led's. In this regard, passing lamps are a great help, and I wouldn't ride without them.
Second, Custom Dynamics has superior customer service. I had one of their products that I had an issue with, and they stayed with me  until it was solved. I'd give them a shout.

BigT

Quote from: Ratfade on March 09, 2021, 07:08:33 PM
Couple of points. First, I think not great peripheral lighting just goes with led's. In this regard, passing lamps are a great help, and I wouldn't ride without them.
Second, Custom Dynamics has superior customer service. I had one of their products that I had an issue with, and they stayed with me  until it was solved. I'd give them a shout.
I already talked to their customer service as I thought the light was defective with the strange high beam light cutoff pattern. They sent me the aiming instructions I posted and they followed up with a couple of emails. Great customer service but strange high beam projection.

04 SE Deuce

Horizonal rectangle with a square on top of it is how a the low and high beam of a 5.75" Daymaker looks on the wall. 

Only place I notice it lacking is seeing ahead when healed over on a 270 degree freeway ramp at night. 

Light years better than the stock lamp.

koko3052

JW Speaker on my 05 FatBoy for close to 9 years now & is the best lighting I've ever seen. When I switch to hi-beam I see a round area about a mile in front of me, more pronounced if there's an upcoming hill. Really doesn't make any difference because I never use hi-beam as it doesn't add any light. My lo-beam shines as far as I can see & covers in front of me just great....and no it's not adjusted too high because I never get flashed from oncoming traffic. Yes I also paid a pretty penny for it, $400.+, that many years ago. :cry: