March 28, 2024, 04:54:53 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Windage Tray

Started by WhipLash96, February 25, 2021, 04:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhipLash96

Is there any benefit to running a windage tray in high performance street application?
Thanks,
Whip

smoserx1

I had to Google it to see what it even meant, but I can't see how one would help on a dry sump system that already uses a baffle in the oil pan.

SP33DY

If you look at the inside of a Harley crank case, you will see a scraper at the bottom of the case. The flywheel runs close enough to it that it effectively pulls the "ropes" of oil off of the flywheels and directs the oil to the scavenge side of the oil pump. Basically it accomplishes what a windage tray does in a V-8.
Way back when, building strokers, we used to weld more material on the scraper and then carefully trim it to get very close to the flywheels. When using 80" flathead flywheels to stroke an early (pre 1955) panhead we had to remove material from the scraper because the flattie flywheels were larger in diameter.

kd

:agree:  Brings back memories.  .030 minimum.  At the top it also reduced cylinder wash.
KD

thumper 823

There is not much room in there for one...and like said the scrapers are already there.
You making one or have a link to one?
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

FloridaJim5

thumper 823

The M8 may need a larger one?
The shovel and rest afaik have them built into the case.
The M8 for whatever reason(s)  has wet sumping issues I have read.
There are all sorts cures ..even HD has one or two
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

kd

If you do a search here it's been discussed when TR came out with it.  It was early first M8 models.  There were crank vents and oil pumps (many) too.
KD