March 29, 2024, 07:42:28 AM

News:

Mainshaft/Inner Primary Seals

Started by Wide Glide, February 26, 2021, 08:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wide Glide

All,
Going to tear down to inspect Mainshaft Bushing and going to use S&S bushing and
go to upgrade the sprocket nut. The question is, are the HD seals OK to use or is the a better alternative?
Also, it was mentioned to use Loctite 518 on the holes on the inner primary bolts up.

'97 FXDWG
Mike

lumberjacklloyd

HD seals are more than adequate. I have not experimented with trying a National, SKF or equivalent seal. I choose HD over James seals for sure.

I have never used Loctite on inner primary bolts; always replace bolt retainers and torque to spec.

JW113

2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

kd

This thread recommended silicon sealer as per the manual. Have you checked the Factory Service Manual?

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,19164.msg194983.html#msg194983

KD

Pirsch Fire Wagon

#518, I don't think it's even made for bolts but has a big sheer strength IIRC. you'll never get them out again without destroying the threads on one or two. $242 would be a better alternative.

Silicone on an EVO - 2006 on ALL the bolts and mating surfaces to prevent leaks.
Tom

Scotty

I think the OP is talking about using Loctite 518 in place of black oil resistant hi-temp silicone to seal the inner primary bolts and the boss to stop oil leaks just like you have to on any Evo or they leak. I don't think he is talking about using it in place of a thread locker which is not required due to the locking tabs.

Loctite 518 is a medium strength gasket maker for machined, rigid metal surfaces such as aluminium, cast iron and steel. Fills gaps up to 0.25mm. Solvent-resistant seal that will not tear or decay. Cures through minor surface contamination. Reduces inventory - replaces a variety of gaskets.

Who knows if it will work I just hi-temp oil resistant silicone and they never leak and easy to clean up but maybe the OP is onto something that we don't know about.
It's 2021 after all and things do improve.

capn

Maybe that 518 will work but I use gray case sealant that I know works.Use it on the shovel too.The Permatex ultra gray is fine.