April 18, 2024, 01:09:55 AM

News:

2006 fat boy

Started by cbumdumb, February 26, 2021, 12:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbumdumb

Did a search didnt come up with what I am looking for .A buddy of mine is looking at 2006 fat boy 10,000 miles lookes like a cream puff owner had a stoke cant ride any more . What I am asking what are the main problem areas to be concerned about if any? Does this model have the problem matic cam chain tensioners etc? Any and all info would be appreciated.

smoserx1

QuoteDoes this model have the problem matic cam chain tensioners etc?

Yes, this was not changed till 2007 except for Dyna models which got the change in 2006.

actonern

I have a 2006 Deluxe, which is the same engine/frame.

Yes, the cam chest should be dealt with, which costs, but the rest of the bike is solid and reliable.

Like cars, stuff goes.  I have 135,000 and have replaced rear brake switch, fuel filter, fuel lines, shifter shaft seal, brake pads, brake rotors, bulbs, fluids etc.

Still get 150 psi compression... runs like a champ.

Every model year seems to have unique issues.  Don't think there's a magic problem free year.

Look after them and they go.

sprocket99

That year Dyna had issues with the rotor breaking loose and also problems with the inner primary bearing (IBP). Many of those were resolved by the dealer, so look into that to see if that bike had one or both of those fixes.

04 SE Deuce

Fat Boy is a softail not a Dyna.  I can't think of any real reason to not consider a 2006 softail.

calif phil

A low mileage 5 speed TC is pretty bullletproof with the exception of the previously mentioned cam chain tensioners and they do not need inspected for another 20k miles.   Those bikes are a heck of a value right now. 

bensfatboy

You will want to upgrade the compensator as well if it has the original stock.

Was it the 06 heads that had valve guide seals that were prone to leaking?

FXDBI

Quote from: bensfatboy on April 02, 2021, 04:29:49 PM
You will want to upgrade the compensator as well if it has the original stock.

2006 Softail has the 5 speed and good compensator, 2006 Dyna and 2007 up the rest  got the 6 speed and poor comp.   Bob

smoserx1

QuoteWas it the 06 heads that had valve guide seals that were prone to leaking?
I'm thinking that started in 05.  A buddy of mine had one and never had a problem.  The improved seals are supposed to be orange I believe.