April 20, 2024, 02:05:24 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Sprocket Bolts

Started by hbkeith, March 03, 2021, 01:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbkeith

With the spacing on my rear drive sprocket a reqular hex head grade 8 bolt with washer barley touches my swingarm , been searching for Button head Torx/star drive bolts in 7/16" 14 x 1 3/4" long , Mcmaster Carr has them in everything except 7/16 , find a lot a low grade in allen head , any suggestions who might have them ? or do i chance using a hex head with no washer on a Aluminum sprocket

Breeze

Try a motorcycle specific site. I found them @ Dennis Kirk. 
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

smoserx1

I would not try it without a washer as the washer distributes the force over a greater area reducing the stress on the sprocket.  If you can't find a hex bolt with a thin enough head to fit I would try grinding down the ones I had a little.  A bench grinder will probably work.  If I recall the torque specification on those bolts is up there pretty good so I would try to use a hex head bolt if at all possible.  I would hate to have difficulty removing them, although a good Allen head may be OK.  I would not use a Torx/star head under  any circumstance.

kd

An allen head socket bolt will probably be as thick as a hex.  You must have missed them at McMaster Carr. These are stainless. They have 2" so you wind a nut on it, cut off 1/4", buff the end on a grinder, back off the nut to clean the threads and Bob's your uncle. I simply googled Button Head  7/16" 14 x 1 3/4" and there was plenty there.  Some were ridiculous prices so you have to sort through them.
KD

nibroc

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

:up:  If you are replacing stock fastener bolts the dealer may be your best option.  The may have button heads in that size for some models.
KD

turboprop

Quote from: hbkeith on March 03, 2021, 01:44:51 AM
With the spacing on my rear drive sprocket a reqular hex head grade 8 bolt with washer barley touches my swingarm , been searching for Button head Torx/star drive bolts in 7/16" 14 x 1 3/4" long , Mcmaster Carr has them in everything except 7/16 , find a lot a low grade in allen head , any suggestions who might have them ? or do i chance using a hex head with no washer on a Aluminum sprocket

How thick is the material near the bolt holes in that sprocket? Is there enough meat there to spot face those holes and gain a little clearance?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

kd

KD

hbkeith

Quote from: turboprop on March 03, 2021, 07:47:04 AM
Quote from: hbkeith on March 03, 2021, 01:44:51 AM

How thick is the material near the bolt holes in that sprocket? Is there enough meat there to spot face those holes and gain a little clearance?
Havent measured it , but im trying to get away with having to do any machinging to make sprockets easy available , been using Shovelhead dished sprockets and machining them down to except a 520 chain , flat sprockets are available in all tooth counts in 520 . Yes KD I saw the stainless button style allen head at M C , I prefer a Torx over allen , but may have to do that

No Cents

March 03, 2021, 09:09:38 AM #10 Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 09:14:02 AM by No Cents
  I had the same problem as you are. I used hex head bolts and I ground some of the bolt head down on the bench grinder to get the clearance I needed. I painted the heads of them black once I had enough material removed.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

kd

Many of the fastener distributors show dimensional drawings for the fasteners. I have seen shallow heads listed and used in places like for under clutch plates on automotive flywheels. You may find what you want in hex head with some internet searches. Get creative with the search words like shallow hex head etc..
KD

Ohio HD

7/16x14 is one of those sizes that you generally can't find shallow head cap screws. You'll find everything else, but not 7/16x14.

hbkeith

Quote from: No Cents on March 03, 2021, 09:09:38 AM
  I had the same problem as you are. I used hex head bolts and I ground some of the bolt head down on the bench grinder to get the clearance I needed. I painted the heads of them black once I had enough material removed.
that's what im about to do ,  a 1/16 off a grade 8 wont weaken it , I have found bolts that would work but not a high grade bolt       
Quote from: Ohio HD on March 03, 2021, 09:57:48 AM
7/16x14 is one of those sizes that you generally can't find shallow head cap screws. You'll find everything else, but not 7/16x14.
im seeing that

FXDBI

Hossamania

If I remember right, I had to clearance the bolt heads on my handlebar risers to clear the frame. Didn't need that hanging up in the middle of a turn.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

hbkeith

No Cents

...if you need some sprocket bolts I bought 50 grade 8 flange bolts 7/16 -14 X 1" bolts just to have some spares when I did mine. If you need some let me know.
   You speak of 1 3/4" long bolts...but I use 1" long flange bolts with no washer under them. I did loctite them on and torqued to spec. I beat the hell out of my bike and those flange bolts haven't moved. They hold the sprocket in place even when applying my 158hp. I have no issue with them at all.

Buglet

Inch long, no problems. Not me.

No Cents

I've got a spacer on the hub to get the rear sprocket inline with the tranny sprocket. A 1" long sprocket bolt is all I could use with the needed spacer.

Ohio HD

How thick are the sprockets? Maybe put a countersink in the sprockets? You gain a little more surface area that way as well.

[attach=0,msg1379823]

kd

7/16" bolts are the red headed step child of threaded fasteners. They have a 5/8" head wrench size and most commonly take an 11/16 wrench for the nut. They are only marginally larger than a 3/8" or smaller than 1/2".   :nix:
KD

xlfan

Tedd Cycle had a kit pn 37-8671 with torx bit to fit

hbkeith

Quote from: No Cents on March 03, 2021, 11:46:26 AM
   ...if you need some sprocket bolts I bought 50 grade 8 flange bolts 7/16 -14 X 1" bolts just to have some spares when I did mine. If you need some let me know.
   You speak of 1 3/4" long bolts...but I use 1" long flange bolts with no washer under them. I did loctite them on and torqued to spec. I beat the hell out of my bike and those flange bolts haven't moved. They hold the sprocket in place even when applying my 158hp. I have no issue with them at all.
appreciate it , my bad on needing 1 3/4" , the bolts i use with no spacer are 1 1/4" and im using maybe 1/2" of thread , now running a 1/4" spacer so i need a 1 1/2 ", like to have as much thread as possible in the Akront wheel launching at near 7k , i like the idea of the grade 8 flange bolts and take a 1/16 off the head

Billy

Quotelike to have as much thread as possible in the Akront wheel launching at near 7k

Drill and tap the wheel for 1/2-13 and you will have much better bolt selection, not to mention much stronger for the 7k launches.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

cheech

Quote from: xlfan on March 03, 2021, 09:35:01 PM
Their site list these as 3/8"-16.

No Cents

when I stated I used 1" long bolts...I meant 1" of the threaded part of the bolt...not counting the bolt head in the length. Using the spacer I needed (which it bolted to the hub) and it had threaded bolt holes for the sprocket, it would only accept a bolt with 1" of threads.

[attach=0,msg1379897]

cheech

Quote from: No Cents on March 04, 2021, 07:55:47 AM
  when I stated I used 1" long bolts...I meant 1" of the threaded part of the bolt...not counting the bolt head in the length. Using the spacer I needed (which it bolted to the hub) and it had threaded bolt holes for the sprocket, it would only accept a bolt with 1" of threads.
Under head to end of fastener is how most are classified with regard to length. So calling them 1" is correct.
Flat head screws like Ohio posted are measured and classified overall.

hbkeith

Quote from: No Cents on March 04, 2021, 07:55:47 AM

[attach=0,msg1379897]
Yes im talking just threads , im using a raised lip spacer , so the bolt goes thru sprocket and spacer

xlfan

Quote from: cheech on March 04, 2021, 06:54:45 AM
Quote from: xlfan on March 03, 2021, 09:35:01 PM
Their site list these as 3/8"-16.

At least I said 'had'  :wink:
[attach=0,msg1380032]

But they weren't 1 3/4" long, they were 1 1/2" long.