March 28, 2024, 10:24:53 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Tweeters?

Started by Eccool, March 03, 2021, 02:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eccool

It's going to be obvious that I'm not much of an audio guy when I ask this question, but I thought I would state that up front.  If a person adds separate tweeters (not a part of the speaker) to their audio system, what does that do?  Thanks!

Hossamania

It will enhance the high range of music, not the mids or lows (bass). It may help you hear it better at speed, make it "sharp".
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Eccool

Hossamania

March 03, 2021, 06:21:02 PM #3 Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 06:28:41 PM by Hossamania
Be aware that too much treble can make it sound "tinny", and can wear on the ears over time. A good balance of range is the goal. Often the extra treble of the tweeters is nice to have, but they can overwhelm if overdriven.

Breeze

I'm not much of an audio guy, but the tweeters seemed to make vocals clearer on my bike.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Hossamania

Quote from: Breeze on March 04, 2021, 03:25:00 AM
I'm not much of an audio guy, but the tweeters seemed to make vocals clearer on my bike.

Yes, that.

Eccool

Do you guys just have them mounted in the front or in the back (like Tour Pak) also?  Thanks!

Hossamania

Both would be better if you want the best sound.
I do not have them. But I am looking to upgrade speakers and add an amp.

PoorUB

Tweeters are best mounted so they are aimed right at your head. Tough to do sometimes. The high pitch doesn't spread out as well as the lower frequency.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Breeze

Mine are in a bar that is level with the top of inner fairing.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Eccool

travelingypsye

First of all tweeters add high frequency to the mix. Most run 2500K and higher. Snare drums, cymbals, horn instruments play those frequencies.  Most vocals range from 1000-5000K range so tweeters will not add to your vocals. Next, tweeters will not play lower than 2000K or so. With that in mind, when wiring them you will need a frequency capacitor (bass blocker) to filter out the lower frequencies from you source (music). If you dont, then your tweeters wont last long. Most soft dome tweeters can only handle 50-100w or less and compression style tweeters (horns) will only handle a bit more (100-125w) depending on just what you have. So running them off an amp at 150w or more can blow them also. Instead of adding a separate tweeter look into a good coax with built in crossovers and capacitors built in to give you the full range effect. Adding stand alone tweeters wont add to the overall sound if you already have coax in play.

Hope this helps. 

Eccool

Thank you very much!!!