March 28, 2024, 04:40:58 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Accessory power in head light cowl of 2020 Road King

Started by ssls6, May 03, 2021, 01:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssls6

I'm looking for switched power for a GPS in my headlight cowl. My service manual wiring diagram shows a small 2 wire connector with white/black listed as "heated grip plug". This is in the front control wiring diagram. I have found a connector that looks like the diagram and here is a picture...

Road King Accessory plug?

Can anyone confirm this plug is suitable for a GPS? Canbus scares me a bit so I'm asking.

A bit of internet searching shows the plug I need to adapt to this is 73152-96BK. Can anyone confirm that?

Appreciative as always for any help.

rigidthumper

The white & black wires are designed to connect the left heated grip to the right heated grip. Doubt if the connector is hot without a heat controller (part of the left heated grip). The power supply for heated grips is Violet/Blue wire, and ground would be black.
You may have better luck looking at the connectors going into the headlight area- on some models, there is a capped off Red/Yellow wire taped to the headlight harness, used for a positional marker (required in some countries). This is an excellent source of switched power, and you can find/tap into any nearby ground.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Dan89flstc

There is an accessory power connector underneath the right side cover.

Make a harness using a 3 way molex mx 150 connector (gray). You can just run the wire up through the wiring tray on the backbone, and into the nacelle.

You won`t have to tap into any wires.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic